[COMPLETE] The House of Whispers by William Le Queux - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:Thank you Sonia I will get the items corrected and repost to this thread.
April
I see you already reposted. I had a listen to the spots that needed correcting and I have to compliment you: all the parts have been amended very very well. One does not hear a disturbing difference in sound or background noise. I remember you had initial problems with Spot correcting some errors in the beginning, but I'm happy to say, you are really good at correcting those small issues now. :thumbs: Being persistent gives its rewards. :9:

Chapter 1 is Spot PL ok

(3% of your first Solo is finished - now doesn't that sound encouraging already ?)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:Thank you Sonia I will get the items corrected and repost to this thread.
April
I see you already reposted. I had a listen to the spots that needed correcting and I have to compliment you: all the parts have been amended very very well. One does not hear a disturbing difference in sound or background noise. I remember you had initial problems with Spot correcting some errors in the beginning, but I'm happy to say, you are really good at correcting those small issues now. :thumbs: Being persistent gives its rewards. :9:

Chapter 1 is Spot PL ok

(3% of your first Solo is finished - now doesn't that sound encouraging already ?)

Sonia
I did as someone suggested and re-spoke the entire line, not just a word. Works wonderfully that way!! :clap:
Being persistent does have its rewards, I agree.
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I did as someone suggested and re-spoke the entire line, not just a word. Works wonderfully that way!! :clap:
:mrgreen: good teacher + good pupil = good team

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

TriciaG wrote:You're set up. A couple notes:

1) I changed the text URL to the main Gutenberg page for the book, rather than the epub format you had. :)

2) Note that the title is "THE" House of Whispers. (You just put "House of Whispers" in the template.) I changed the wording in the intro/outro to show the "The".

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked below: Instructions for Soloists
Tricia,
Should the finished audio be titled as follows? thehouseofwhispers02_lequex_128kbps.mp3? Please let me know. Thank you,
April

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.

Holler if you have questions. 8-)
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:I did as someone suggested and re-spoke the entire line, not just a word. Works wonderfully that way!! :clap:
:mrgreen: good teacher + good pupil = good team

Sonia
:D
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I just saw that a new chapter is posted !!!

Ok, just had a listen. The cliffhanger at the end is intriguing...who is this strange man ? :hmm: Probably a shady character.

As for errors, you did really well this time, I only found one noticeable error, and the intro needs to be changed:

> at 0:01-0:24: concerning the Intro, we only need the “long” intro in the first chapter for a Solo, afterwards you can use the shortened intro. You see this in your first post:
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of The House of Whispers by William Le Queux. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
> at 5:37: "that they set fire to the heather-thatched building" – I hear “healthier thatched build” Could you maybe re-do this sentence ?

> the file name includes "the"houseofwhispers, can you re-upload without the article, please ? The file names should all be exactly the same, apart from the chapter number

The rest is fine. But the sound quality is more "off" than in the first chapter :( I really don't know what's causing this, but we need to do something about it. Your reading is so nice, it's a pity the sound is going so "up and down".

You wouldn't have a raw recording of this chapter would you ? I mean one where your errors are already edited out, but it's not noise-cleaned or amplified yet. If you still have this file, could you please post it here, so I can have a listen how it sounds. Maybe we can salvage it.

And for Chapter 3, please only correct your errors and repeats and whatever you need to cut out, so that the entire text is ready to post in a fluent storyline. But don't noise clean and don't amplify. I want to check it first to hear how it sounds. Maybe the problem lies in the cleaning stage.

Thanks

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:I just saw that a new chapter is posted !!!

Ok, just had a listen. The cliffhanger at the end is intriguing...who is this strange man ? :hmm: Probably a shady character.

As for errors, you did really well this time, I only found one noticeable error, and the intro needs to be changed:

> at 0:01-0:24: concerning the Intro, we only need the “long” intro in the first chapter for a Solo, afterwards you can use the shortened intro. You see this in your first post:
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of The House of Whispers by William Le Queux. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
> at 5:37: "that they set fire to the heather-thatched building" – I hear “healthier thatched build” Could you maybe re-do this sentence ?

> the file name includes "the"houseofwhispers, can you re-upload without the article, please ? The file names should all be exactly the same, apart from the chapter number

The rest is fine. But the sound quality is more "off" than in the first chapter :( I really don't know what's causing this, but we need to do something about it. Your reading is so nice, it's a pity the sound is going so "up and down".

You wouldn't have a raw recording of this chapter would you ? I mean one where your errors are already edited out, but it's not noise-cleaned or amplified yet. If you still have this file, could you please post it here, so I can have a listen how it sounds. Maybe we can salvage it.

And for Chapter 3, please only correct your errors and repeats and whatever you need to cut out, so that the entire text is ready to post in a fluent storyline. But don't noise clean and don't amplify. I want to check it first to hear how it sounds. Maybe the problem lies in the cleaning stage.

Thanks

Sonia
Hello there.
I would honestly love to come to the root of the problem with the sound and know how to fix it before posting. I will attach the file where the errors are edited out and no noisecleaning has been done to it.
I have it, will mp3 it and post it asap. I will also leave a note in the thread so you know it is there :D

I will also fix the 5:37 & ensure the file has the appropriate name. I will also read chapter 3 as you have suggested. Planning on doing that today.
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I have attached the file I had mentioned. I do hope it can be salvaged. :oops:
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I was sent this from Tricia so I presumed the files should have the article in them as well. No? If yes, than I will need to change it on the first chapter so they will all match.

" Note that the title is "THE" House of Whispers. (You just put "House of Whispers" in the template.) I changed the wording in the intro/outro to show the "The".

Please do let me know so I will make certain all will match. :roll:

I also just completed recording chapter 3. It has not been edited quite yet though I will make sure to only edit out my errors and let you listen to it.

Thank you,
April
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

adr6090 wrote:Sonia,
I was sent this from Tricia so I presumed the files should have the article in them as well. No? If yes, than I will need to change it on the first chapter so they will all match.

" Note that the title is "THE" House of Whispers. (You just put "House of Whispers" in the template.) I changed the wording in the intro/outro to show the "The".

Please do let me know so I will make certain all will match. :roll:
I'll answer. :)

The file name should not have the "the". It should be houseofwhispers. I see the file name of section 2 is... different. "glencardineeditsthehouseofwhispers" should just be "houseofwhispers". If it ends up being PL OK, I'll fix it from my end rather than having you upload it again just to change the name.

You do not have to rename files when uploading corrected sections. Use the original file name. The uploader will rename the OLD files, so that the correct name always goes with the newest file.
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

TriciaG wrote:I see the file name of section 2 is... different. "glencardineeditsthehouseofwhispers" should just be "houseofwhispers".
ah this was my request, Tricia. I asked for the untreated raw file, which only had edits made but no noise cleaning, so I could check where the problem would lie. I just didn't see the file.

April, I see now you put the file in the MW. As this is not yet the finished file, you could just have posted it here in the thread, so I would have seen it easier. Later in the MW we only put the finished files with the correct file names.

It's ok, I have it now, and I will check on this one: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/glencardineeditsthehouseofwhispers_02_lequex.mp3

thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

all right April, I now listened to the entire chapter 2 again. I also noise-cleaned it and amplified it, and GOOD NEWS: it sounds so much better now. I barely detect an "up-and-down" of volume. So this means: your microphone is good (what a relief) but something goes wrong in your noise-cleaning phase. I suspect you do it too "aggressively", meaning the Audacity cleaning is programmed too aggressive. We can work on that.

For the moment I have cleaned up Chapter 2 and I only need 2 things from you, before we can mark it PL ok. So as not to mess up the file which is good to go now, could you maybe send the corrections in a separate file and I paste them into the masterfile ? Again, please send me only the RAW file, no noise-cleaning. I will do that before I paste them in.

here is what I need:

> the abbreviated intro. Only chapter 1 needs the full intro disclaimer. From now on please only say the following (in blue) at the beginning of each chapter:

Chapter 2 [or any other chapter number] of The House of Whispers by William Le Queux. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain. Recording by April6090 [I don't think you need to say your city all the time as people listen to the entire book and will know by that time]

Then start with the title of the chapter and continue till the end.

> there was one error I could not correct by myself at 5:39: "that they set fire to the heather-thatched building" - you said "healthier". Could you please also redo this entire sentence and send it in the same file than the correct intro ?

That is all, once I have those two things, I will clean them, paste them and upload chapter 2 again and it's PL ok and sounds GREAT.

Now, we will work this noise-cleaning thing out via email discussions. But for the moment if you have any chapters recorded, please only edit out all the errors, and send me the link without any noisecleaning and amplifying. I will clean it on my side, until we have sorted your problem out. Deal ? :) Your reading is good, you barely make any errors, so it would be a shame if the quality was lacking in the sound department. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Kitty wrote:
TriciaG wrote:I see the file name of section 2 is... different. "glencardineeditsthehouseofwhispers" should just be "houseofwhispers".
ah this was my request, Tricia. I asked for the untreated raw file, which only had edits made but no noise cleaning, so I could check where the problem would lie. I just didn't see the file.

April, I see now you put the file in the MW. As this is not yet the finished file, you could just have posted it here in the thread, so I would have seen it easier. Later in the MW we only put the finished files with the correct file names.

It's ok, I have it now, and I will check on this one: https://librivox.org/uploads/triciag/glencardineeditsthehouseofwhispers_02_lequex.mp3

thank you

Sonia
Sonia,
I will not longer post "test" files in the mw, apologies. I have a couple of different saved files so I can determine just which file is which. You noticed the glencardine in the filename I am certain. I do not mean for that to remain in the finished file.
thanks,
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I will not longer post "test" files in the mw, apologies. I have a couple of different saved files so I can determine just which file is which. You noticed the glencardine in the filename I am certain. I do not mean for that to remain in the finished file.
it's no problem April, I knew that it was a test file, I just did not expect to see it in the MW, but only posted here as a link.

No worries. I think it's a great idea to save your different editing stages under different names. That way you can always go back and fish out the old file that is needed if anything goes wrong. Like this time now with the noise-cleaning. It was helpful to have the old uncleaned file now. :thumbs:

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
"For the moment I have cleaned up Chapter 2 and I only need 2 things from you, before we can mark it PL ok. So as not to mess up the file which is good to go now, could you maybe send the corrections in a separate file and I paste them into the masterfile ? Again, please send me only the RAW file, no noise-cleaning. I will do that before I paste them in."

Send the raw file, same one I had sent to you & the corrections in a seperate file? All of the corrections? There were less than 20 though posssibly around 16 corrections.

April
April