[COMPLETE] The House of Whispers by William Le Queux - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

I will fix the error and get it posted. :oops: on the end time.
Just wait until you listen to the next chapter, which is now in the mw, & we learn who the spy is. :9: Finally, some answers.

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:chapter 17 is ready for pl in the mw. :D
great job April ! This Frenchman is quite an interesting character, although I don't like his suspicion against Gabrielle. You read it almost textually flawless, I only found one stumble which could get corrected still:

> at 2:03 - "from Paris to Constantinople" - I think there's a jump in the recording which cut out one sylable. I hear "Con-sta-nipple" instead of "Con-stan-tin-ople"

> also careful at the ending silence. You have now 6 seconds, which is ok, you don't need to correct, but don't let them add up yet more :wink:

Sonia
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I will fix the error and get it posted. :oops: on the end time.
great, error is fixed and Chapter 17 is now PL ok
Just wait until you listen to the next chapter, which is now in the mw, & we learn who the spy is. :9: Finally, some answers.

hahaha, it doesn't come as a surprise to me that Flockhart was the spy. Either he or Lady Heyburn ;) But Gabrielle is again proving a bit naive to threaten exposure...she will incite him to do her harm by telling him her intentions of raising the alarm.

nicely read again, but I found a few stumbles which could be deleted to make it more fluent:

> at 7:22: "and of the waltz-music of the pianola in the hall" - stumble and repeat with "music"

> at 7:59: "One which Sir Henry declared to be the gem of them all bore the manus Dei for device" - this Latin expression means "the hand of God" but if you pronounce it like the verb "to die", it becomes unrecognizable. "manus" is correct, but "dei" should be pronounced like "day" (of the week).

> at 9:12: "and afterwards supped regularly at the "Savoy" - there's one unnecessary repeat of the word "and" before supper

> at 9:32: "and though the stable-chimes sounded each half-hour" - stumble and repeat with "the"

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Oh no!!! I will get the errors fixed and reposted, promise!!
Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:I will fix the error and get it posted. :oops: on the end time.
great, error is fixed and Chapter 17 is now PL ok

hahaha, it doesn't come as a surprise to me that Flockhart was the spy. Either he or Lady Heyburn ;) But Gabrielle is again proving a bit naive to threaten exposure...she will incite him to do her harm by telling him her intentions of raising the alarm.

nicely read again, but I found a few stumbles which could be deleted to make it more fluent:

> at 7:22: "and of the waltz-music of the pianola in the hall" - stumble and repeat with "music"

> at 7:59: "One which Sir Henry declared to be the gem of them all bore the manus Dei for device" - this Latin expression means "the hand of God" but if you pronounce it like the verb "to die", it becomes unrecognizable. "manus" is correct, but "dei" should be pronounced like "day" (of the week).

> at 9:12: "and afterwards supped regularly at the "Savoy" - there's one unnecessary repeat of the word "and" before supper

> at 9:32: "and though the stable-chimes sounded each half-hour" - stumble and repeat with "the"

Sonia
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
chapter 18 is now in the mw.

I am sorry that chapter 19 is not there as well.
You see I was almost finished with my edits and I must have hit the incorrect key as the file went blank. Therefore, I closed it and made certain to NOT save it.
I reopened it and there was my file. whew...
Only thing is I neglected to save the file each time I had finished an edit.
Looks like I will be listening to it again, from the beginning and editing it the way it should be.
I will save the file after every edit. I should know better. Yeah, silly me.
It will be posted on Monday than whenever you get around to it, that will be the perfect timing. :wink:
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:chapter 18 is now in the mw.
nicely edited, thanks. It's PL ok now
You see I was almost finished with my edits and I must have hit the incorrect key as the file went blank. Therefore, I closed it and made certain to NOT save it.
good thinking not to save !!!!

What probably happened was that you pressed "delete" without highlighting anything, then it will simply delete everything. It happened to me before as well.

There is a better way to recuperate what you lost, which you should do next time this happens:

if everything is gone, don't panic ! just go to "Edit" and then press the first "Undo Delete". Then all will be like before and you won't have to redo all your unsaved edits.

Going to "edit" and pressing the first in that column always reverses the last thing you did. So if you did anything that's not good, you can always go back one step and do it afresh.

Do a small sample, and try it out. Record 10 seconds - then press delete and all will be gone - then go to Edit - Undo Delete - and all will be there again. Always good to practice doing this in case it's needed one day.

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Thank you for the knowledge of "edit & undo delete", may be something I can use in the future.
Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:chapter 18 is now in the mw.
nicely edited, thanks. It's PL ok now
good thinking not to save !!!!

What probably happened was that you pressed "delete" without highlighting anything, then it will simply delete everything. It happened to me before as well.

There is a better way to recuperate what you lost, which you should do next time this happens:

if everything is gone, don't panic ! just go to "Edit" and then press the first "Undo Delete". Then all will be like before and you won't have to redo all your unsaved edits.

Going to "edit" and pressing the first in that column always reverses the last thing you did. So if you did anything that's not good, you can always go back one step and do it afresh.

Do a small sample, and try it out. Record 10 seconds - then press delete and all will be gone - then go to Edit - Undo Delete - and all will be there again. Always good to practice doing this in case it's needed one day.

Sonia
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
chapter 19 is now in the mw :clap:
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:Hello Sonia,
this dialogue between Gabrielle and Flockhart was really excellently acted out :thumbs: I love Gabrielle's forceful voice and Flockhart's sneer. I still think though that Gabrielle is not behaving right, she should have gone to her father instead of just idly threatening it. I wonder what happened in Chantilly that Flockhart can blackmail her so. :hmm:

I absolutely enjoyed the whole chapter, it was really fluently narrated. I am so sorry that in the final paragraph I found a small repeat which needs to be cut out :( I so wished this to be PL ok on the first go... well, it's no big deal, it's quickly corrected:

> at 14:01: "took her soft hand in his" - you repeat "her hand in his", which can be cut out

the rest is absolutely perfect :clap:

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I absoulutely can not believe that I missed those words being in twice. Oh well, I did correct that issue and now the proper one is in the mw.

I LOVED recording the different voices for Gabrielle and Flockart in this chapter. Thank you for your compliment.
Gabrielle most certainly does not appear to be acting as she should be. Yes, I agree that she should have gone to her father and should still before this turns into something that it shouldn't, such as future blackmailing? Hopefully, Gabrielle will have no harm done to herself or father. Would be something she may still be able to prevent, we will see...

Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:Hello Sonia,
this dialogue between Gabrielle and Flockhart was really excellently acted out :thumbs: I love Gabrielle's forceful voice and Flockhart's sneer. I still think though that Gabrielle is not behaving right, she should have gone to her father instead of just idly threatening it. I wonder what happened in Chantilly that Flockhart can blackmail her so. :hmm:

I absolutely enjoyed the whole chapter, it was really fluently narrated. I am so sorry that in the final paragraph I found a small repeat which needs to be cut out :( I so wished this to be PL ok on the first go... well, it's no big deal, it's quickly corrected:

> at 14:01: "took her soft hand in his" - you repeat "her hand in his", which can be cut out

the rest is absolutely perfect :clap:

Sonia
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I absoulutely can not believe that I missed those words being in twice. Oh well, I did correct that issue and now the proper one is in the mw.
yes, nicely cut out, thanks, April. This is all PL ok now. :)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

:thumbs: Chapter 20 is ready ready in the mw for your perusal.
Kitty wrote:
adr6090 wrote:I absoulutely can not believe that I missed those words being in twice. Oh well, I did correct that issue and now the proper one is in the mw.
yes, nicely cut out, thanks, April. This is all PL ok now. :)

Sonia
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote::thumbs: Chapter 20 is ready ready in the mw for your perusal.
oh ! I now officially despise Gabrielle's father !!! If you know a person your entire life, you do NOT believe the first slander you hear from another person you just met and previously disliked. And to cast her out immediately, that's so rash ! :evil: He has to do a LOT of amends for me to like him again in this story.

The chapter is perfectly read, no errors that need correcting :clap:

Only one thing you could enhance: can you run the noise-cleaning once more please ? There is a very disagreeable background noise throughout most of the recording. It only stops after some 12 minutes. I wonder what it was, maybe heavy traffic ? Just listen to any parts in the beginning where you don't speak, you will surely hear it.

It would be good to find the source and hopefully evade it next time. I didn't hear it in the other recordings, so either you noise-cleaned those better or it wasn't there then. :hmm:

I think if you noise-clean it once or twice more with the settings we agreed on, it will all be gone. :)

Thanks

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I will most certainly listen to and run the noise cleaning again. Hmm....
Will post it again.

Oh, by the way, chapter 21 is is the mw. :D
Kitty wrote:
oh ! I now officially despise Gabrielle's father !!! If you know a person your entire life, you do NOT believe the first slander you hear from another person you just met and previously disliked. And to cast her out immediately, that's so rash ! :evil: He has to do a LOT of amends for me to like him again in this story.

Only one thing you could enhance: can you run the noise-cleaning once more please ? There is a very disagreeable background noise throughout most of the recording. It only stops after some 12 minutes. I wonder what it was, maybe heavy traffic ? Just listen to any parts in the beginning where you don't speak, you will surely hear it.

It would be good to find the source and hopefully evade it next time. I didn't hear it in the other recordings, so either you noise-cleaned those better or it wasn't there then. :hmm:

I think if you noise-clean it once or twice more with the settings we agreed on, it will all be gone. :)

Thanks

Sonia
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Sonia,
I did hear the noise and it did stop at 12:50. It is the computer fan. I heard it while recording chapter 21 & asked Rich if he heard something, a whine, in the background. He mentioned he thought that the sound he heard was the fan in the computer hard drive. :hmm:
I do wonder just why that noise has not been evident in prior chapters as nothing has changed. I ensure there is not traffic, much less heavy traffic, about when I record.
I did noise clean it 3x and than ampflied. It is in the mw now.
Please do listen and share your thoughts with me.
Thank you.
April
adr6090 wrote:Sonia,
I will most certainly listen to and run the noise cleaning again. Hmm....
Will post it again.

Oh, by the way, chapter 21 is is the mw. :D
Kitty wrote:

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

adr6090 wrote:I did hear the noise and it did stop at 12:50. It is the computer fan. I heard it while recording chapter 21 & asked Rich if he heard something, a whine, in the background. He mentioned he thought that the sound he heard was the fan in the computer hard drive. :hmm:
I do wonder just why that noise has not been evident in prior chapters as nothing has changed. I ensure there is not traffic, much less heavy traffic, about when I record.
hmm, do you have a computer that is plugged in the electric socket all the time ? Because if you have a laptop that is running on batteries, the noise of the fan will be less audible if it's nnot plugged to the socket. I noticed that with my laptop. I only record on battery.

But if you have it plugged in all the time, I really don't know why one would hear it only now :hmm:

Well, I think we can accept the file now :) Chapter 20 PL ok

will PL your next chapter soon !

Sonia