COMPLETE - Carpenter's Geographical Reader: Africa-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

do we need anything besides the disclaimer? I will get on that ASAP.
Betty
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

No, that's it. I have the cover done, but it's on my computer at home so I won't be able to post it until tomorrow night.

What's next? Europe?

MaryAnn
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

:)

We already did Europe.. Next and last is Asia....

How is this?

This text was published more than 100 years ago in 1905.The descriptions of the native peoples, their dress and home life reflected the perceptions and thinking of the early 20th century. The listener should be aware of this in order to enjoy the Geographical Reader: Africa by Frank Carpenter.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks Betty. I'm cataloging now. Should finish up tomorrow.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/carpenters-geographical-reader-africa-by-frank-g-carpenter/
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Thanks, Team, for this worthy project. I'm looking forward to recommending it to several hundred Black and european-heritage friends, as I often recommend other books our mostly-white readers provide from the history of race and abolition-era works.

May I propose an amendment to the summary for the catalog, to reach a more diverse audience?

"...  This text was published more than 100 years ago in 1905.The listener should be aware that the descriptions of the native peoples, their dress and home life [reflects european-heritage people's] perceptions and thinking of the early 20th century."
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the comment on the book summary. After reviewing it with some other admins who have caveated summaries, I have edited it to make it a bit less subtle and to align with how others have approached this issue.

MaryAnn
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Thanks for the comment on the book summary. After reviewing it with some other admins who have caveated summaries, I have edited it to make it a bit less subtle and to align with how others have approached this issue.

MaryAnn
Thanks but I can't see anything different. Maybe it didn't 'take' yet?

I think it's good that each reader wrestles with this in their own way. I've enjoyed participating in other readers' discussions about their natural discomfort with older times, and there is no "right" way to proceed-- because as a world we are still working our way towards progress and full relationship.

I was skimming thru Cori Samuel's reads earlier, for example, looking for a book, and really admired her handing of a Nesbit item. (I teach Anti-Racism, and I wish I'd seen her caveat before offering mine above.)

I'm sincere in thanking Betty and the team for this work. I often hold LibriVox up as a place where there are so many white folks who care deeply enough about Racism to do the gargantuan work it takes-- to create an audiobook out of historical works by African Americans. While some have been offended to hear a white voice try to 'speak Black,' mostly the effort has been deeply meaningful.

I salute LibriVox for trying! Not every place does.

~S~
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hmm. For some reason, when I saved the change, it kept spinning without ever saving. I've done it again and confirmed that the change took this time. It's the final clause added to the Note.

I think this has been a very interesting series, bit history, bit geography. Betty and I both anticipated a rougher road in the Africa volume than in some of the others, but thought it was important to have the full set recorded.

Betty will be starting the final volume (Asia) shortly!

MaryAnn
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

Mary Ann, how might I participate in a future discussion of these caveats?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Susan,

The summary on any given project is a question for the BC, with support from the MC team as they have perspective on how the question has been handled on other projects.

If you'd like to start a general discussion on the topic, I suggest you post on the "suggestions, comments" board.

MaryAnn