COMPLETE[PLAY]Mademoiselle De Belle Isle by Dumas - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 13th, 2017, 1:09 am

all good things come to those who wait. Jason, this was highly enjoyable to listen to, especially Act 3 !!!

Act 1: PL ok

only one small note: for the voice credit please read: “The Chevalier D'Aubigny, read by Jason in Panama” as this is the standard we will all say it in the Dramatis Personae. I’m afraid you have slipped into this other routine because of our DR poems in WBP :mrgreen:

But you don’t have to re-upload this act, since you have two more to hand in, simply give us a correct voice credit in one of those

I found, d'Aubigny is taking the Wager quite stoically in the beginning LOL but I was sure that would change during the course of the play :mrgreen:

Act 2: also PL ok

I find the character portrayal quite interesting here, verging between pleading insecurity and insistent force. Well done.

Act 3: more than PL ok :clap:

excellent ! his character duality is really reaching a peak here. In the beginning he is at a loss for words and stuttering out his sentences to test the ground, then by and by he becomes more sure of his case and angry, at which point, you put on quite a different edge to your voice. :thumbs: But then again he veers back to pleading, he wants to believe she is innocent. And the end of the act he is totally disillusioned and very icy with her. These emotional ups and downs are very, very well done. I can’t wait to hear this dialogue assembled. :9:

thanks a lot, and looking forward to the rest

Sonia

jasonb
Posts: 599
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » September 13th, 2017, 5:24 am

Kitty wrote: all good things come to those who wait. Jason, this was highly enjoyable to listen to, especially Act 3 !!!

Act 1: PL ok

only one small note: for the voice credit please read: “The Chevalier D'Aubigny, read by Jason in Panama” as this is the standard we will all say it in the Dramatis Personae. I’m afraid you have slipped into this other routine because of our DR poems in WBP :mrgreen:

But you don’t have to re-upload this act, since you have two more to hand in, simply give us a correct voice credit in one of those

I found, d'Aubigny is taking the Wager quite stoically in the beginning LOL but I was sure that would change during the course of the play :mrgreen:

Act 2: also PL ok

I find the character portrayal quite interesting here, verging between pleading insecurity and insistent force. Well done.

Act 3: more than PL ok :clap:

excellent ! his character duality is really reaching a peak here. In the beginning he is at a loss for words and stuttering out his sentences to test the ground, then by and by he becomes more sure of his case and angry, at which point, you put on quite a different edge to your voice. :thumbs: But then again he veers back to pleading, he wants to believe she is innocent. And the end of the act he is totally disillusioned and very icy with her. These emotional ups and downs are very, very well done. I can’t wait to hear this dialogue assembled. :9:

thanks a lot, and looking forward to the rest

Sonia
I am really having fun with this one, and I'm glad I kept it, as I was debating whether to give it up due to my backlog. There is more drama to come for the Chevalier - I was getting a little bit of a tired voice so I stopped last night, but I continued to read through, and I have some really good stuff yet to come!
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 13th, 2017, 5:29 am

jasonb wrote:I am really having fun with this one, and I'm glad I kept it, as I was debating whether to give it up due to my backlog. There is more drama to come for the Chevalier - I was getting a little bit of a tired voice so I stopped last night, but I continued to read through, and I have some really good stuff yet to come!
yes he is becoming quite the hothead soon, heading for a duel :mrgreen: then back to utter despair again with suicide ideas before he can finally have a happy end with his Gabrielle. An interesting role indeed. But this entire play was full of interesting roles. Dumas really knows his cloak-and-dagger ingredients.

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7011
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 13th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Thanks, both of you.
Kitty wrote: But this entire play was full of interesting roles. Dumas really knows his cloak-and-dagger ingredients.
Sonia
I wish I could find more Dumas translated into English!

Thanks, Todd

jasonb
Posts: 599
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » September 14th, 2017, 5:12 am

ToddHW wrote:Thanks, both of you.


I wish I could find more Dumas translated into English!

Thanks, Todd
Anything in particular? I always enjoy a good translation project, it may take quite a while (as a passion project), but it could still be done, and yes, I know about the issues with copyright and that, but we could still do something...
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

jasonb
Posts: 599
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » September 14th, 2017, 6:08 am

My final 2 chapters for this one. I can't wait to hear it all.

Proper voice credit at the beginning of act 4

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_daubigny_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_daubigny_5.mp3
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 14th, 2017, 10:32 am

jasonb wrote:My final 2 chapters for this one. I can't wait to hear it all.
Proper voice credit at the beginning of act 4
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_daubigny_4.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_daubigny_5.mp3
thanks Jason, the voice credit is good now. The dialogue between you and Tomas in Act 4 will be just great. Tomas is playing the Duke quite suave and nonchalant, while your d'Aubigny is more hotheaded and inexperienced, this will be a nice contrast here.

Act 4 is PL ok.

In Act 5 I found a small error, which makes the sentence a bit confused:

> at 9:00 (p. 575 middle): "no means remained of encountering him but dragging before a tribunal the cause of our quarrel" - you say "dragging him before", but the object of the sentence is "cause of quarrel", so "him" is wrong and redundant here

All the rest, perfectly played :thumbs: Thanks

Sonia

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7011
Joined: August 14th, 2011, 4:24 am
Contact:

Post by ToddHW » September 14th, 2017, 2:47 pm

jasonb wrote:
ToddHW wrote:Thanks, both of you.


I wish I could find more Dumas translated into English!

Thanks, Todd
Anything in particular? I always enjoy a good translation project, it may take quite a while (as a passion project), but it could still be done, and yes, I know about the issues with copyright and that, but we could still do something...
Alas, we need a public domain - printed - source for the translations.

Thanks, Todd

jasonb
Posts: 599
Joined: July 25th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Post by jasonb » September 15th, 2017, 6:34 am

Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 15th, 2017, 6:43 am

thanks Jason ! Perfect and PL ok now.

Sonia

Craigos
Posts: 403
Joined: November 17th, 2016, 8:42 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Craigos » September 16th, 2017, 4:26 am

Could I try the Duke D'Aumont please.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2017, 5:05 am

Craigos wrote:Could I try the Duke D'Aumont please.
thanks so much for claiming the final role, Craig :9:

I'll sign you up right away. And this means the play is fully claimed :D We're only waiting for your role to come in, and Kurt to correct one line. This is nearly finished.

Sonia

kwpapke
Posts: 149
Joined: February 18th, 2017, 10:40 am
Location: Tucson, AZ
Contact:

Post by kwpapke » September 16th, 2017, 9:10 am

ToddHW wrote:
kwpapke wrote:Anyway, here's act 4 of D'Auvray:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_dauvray_4.mp3 3:20
--Kurt
There is a line missing - page 540
"In the king's name, stand! You are hereby ordered to appear on the eighth day from the present, before the High Court of my Lords Marshals of France."
Thanks, Todd
I believe I have inserted the missing line at the proper spot in the file:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_dauvray_4.mp3 3:35

The audio of the line is a little "hotter" than the surrounding lines, but that was intentional - I was trying to sound commanding.

Apologies for the faux pas.

--Kurt

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 11595
Joined: March 28th, 2014, 5:57 am

Post by Kitty » September 16th, 2017, 10:01 am

kwpapke wrote:I believe I have inserted the missing line at the proper spot in the file:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/debelleisle_dauvray_4.mp3 3:35
The audio of the line is a little "hotter" than the surrounding lines, but that was intentional - I was trying to sound commanding.
Apologies for the faux pas.
no apologies necessary. If anything, I should have spotted it immediately on PLing the first time round :oops: But it's all good now, it has indeed been inserted in the right spot. And I think it sounded very commanding. Well done. :thumbs: PL ok now (this time for real)

Thanks for participating :9:

Sonia

Craigos
Posts: 403
Joined: November 17th, 2016, 8:42 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Post by Craigos » September 16th, 2017, 10:15 am


Post Reply