COMPLETE: 12 Years in the Saddle by Sgt W.J.Sullivan -choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

12 Years in the Saddle by W. John L. Sullivan (1851 - ?).

This project is complete! All audio files are available on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/twelve-years-in-the-saddle-by-w-john-l-sullivan/

Sergeant Sullivan tells the story of his life as a Texas Ranger for 12 incredible years in the late 1800s ( Will Nuessle)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nyp.33433081844007;view=1up;seq=12
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of 12 Years in the Saddle. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "12 Years in the Saddle, by W. John L. Sullivan. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of 12 Years in the Saddle by W. John L. Sullivan. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of 12 Years in the Saddle, by W. John L. Sullivan. "

There should be about 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename 12yearsinthesaddle_##_sullivan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. 12yearsinthesaddle_01_sullivan_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

I'll be happy to MC! I'll have this set up for you later this evening and will also send you instructions on how to manage the Magic Window yourself.

Just a note -- I think you submitted a selection from this to the 12th Anniversary Collection, is that right? Just so you know, we have a policy of not including the exact same recording in two different places in the catalog. This means you'll need to either re-record a fresh version of the selection for this solo project or withdraw your submission from the Anniversary Collection.
Laurie Anne
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Thanks for jumping on-board, Laurie! You are correct that I recorded the preface (and etc!) to the book for the 12th Anniversary--it wasn't very lengthy and I would be happy to re-record. Plus, I'll need to omit the "This is for the 12th Anniversary" part anyway...

8-) W
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Also would value your input -- will be starting the recording probably Monday and Sue Anderson suggested that perhaps going chapter by chapter might make the individual recordings a bit short and I must say I agree. Far as I can tell, it's completely up to my discretion but – would it make sense if I started a set of chapters by saying "12 years in the saddle, chapters 6 through nine", and then introducing each individual chapter as I got to it in the recording?
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks for understanding about the re-recording!

I've got your MW set up; instructions coming by PM in a couple of minutes. I had to enter a number of sections, so I arbitrarily chose 20. You can add more as you go along. If you don't end up needing all 20, I'll delete the extras. (Book coordinators [BCs] can add but not subtract sections -- you are the BC of your solo.)

Yes, how you propose handling multiple chapters in a section is perfect. The very beginnings of the files need something sequential (like Section 1, Section 2 or Chapters 1-3, Chapters 4-6) so listeners who can't read the ID tags can identify files quickly and know they haven't missed one. And reading the chapter titles as you get to them makes good sense.

The length of each file is up to you as long as it's under about 72 minutes (so it will fit onto one audio CD if necessary). Personally I feel like heaving my laptop through the window if I have to record really long files -- I get too bored editing them -- so mine usually end up somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes. As a listener I can go either way; I like them either long or short depending on what I'm doing. So you're safe doing whatever seems right to you.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions!
Laurie Anne
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Got the PM and greatly appreciate it! Will shoot for 30 or so minutes--that's a good record length on my end. I plan to use the same slight accent that I used for the "12 Year Anniversary" contribution. Hopefully you will enjoy listening to it!
cherylstewart

Post by cherylstewart »

I will dpl this project if I am needed?
Cheryls
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

I don't know if you are or not – might be a good question for Laurie. But absolutely welcome aboard!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Thanks, Cheryls! I've added you to the database as DPL.

Thread moved to Going Solo.
Laurie Anne
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Great! Can you add the links to the MW, enter the file durations, and mark them Ready for PL?
Laurie Anne
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Done!
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Fabulous, thanks!
Laurie Anne
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Question: the first recording I made ("Seeing Darkly") just went up today and while I'm very excited about that, I was under the impression that somewhere in the description my WordPress blog would be linked and I didn't see that. Is that something that's doable and if so, where do I need to put that information? Definitely not a huge deal -- but my podcast gets about twelve listeners per episode and I would love to bring up those numbers :-)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Your website is linked on your own catalog page here. Clicking your name in the Reader column in the list of files on the book's catalog page takes you there.
Laurie Anne