[COMPLETE]-Survivors of the Chancellor/Jules Verne-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Survivors of the Chancellor by Jules Verne (2 - 3).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/survivors-of-the-chancellor-by-jules-verne/

A Sea Voyage of a cargo vessel across the Atlantic encounters numerous tragedies for its passengers on its journey. ( )
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1698
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

• Project Code: BizJ9KTe
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Jules Verne) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jules_Verne
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Survivors_of_the_Chancellor
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 58
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    • Original publication date (if known): 1875
    • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Joseph DeNoia Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:

============================================

Genres for the project: Action & Adventure Fiction
    Keywords that describe the book: drama, suspense, deceit, sea epic, hard choices

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Survivors of the Chancellor. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Survivors of the Chancellor, by Jules Verne. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Survivors of the Chancellor by Jules Verne. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Survivors of the Chancellor, by Jules Verne. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording,
  • Example filename survivors_chancellor_##_verne_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. survivors_chancellor_01_verne_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by JoeDeNoia on July 10th, 2017, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdeledePignerolles

Post by AdeledePignerolles »

Do you need a prooflistener? If so I'd love to help out! :)
Adele

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome!

This would be a great addition to the catalog, nice find :thumbs:

Before recording anything, please do a 1 minute test -- it is not an audition, just a way to make sure the technical settings are correct.

We really recommend participating in a group project or two before starting on a solo (once your 1 minute test you can go to the Readers Wanted forums and claim a few sections that look interesting to you). That way you learn a bit about how the process of making audio books works here and can "test the waters" a bit before diving in to do a solo. :D
Kathrine
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Hi katherinee

I have just loaded my 1-minute test to the site.

Can you review, and provide any feedback?
(or should I do that elsewhere?)

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/test_JoeDeNoia.mp3

Cheers!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You should post it in the listeners and editors wanted , you get quicker results and extra help if needed

Anne
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

I will, Anne.... Thanks
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Ok , I will set this up.
Back in a while

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

A few questions and comments ..
What does the 2-3 in the heading mean?
Who wrote the summary? We need to know that it is PD
When you give a PG text link you should give the main page one and let people chose the format , also that is the most permanent one - least likely to change and thus give a 404 message
Normally we need a translator , but as they don't say we can't have one . Verne was so popular in his day that people rushed new french versions to be translated so they could be first out - and there was a charming disregard of copyright :roll:

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Now that you are a soloist, you will be your own BC (book coordinator). That means that you will enter the links to your recordings into the Magic Window (MW) (the scrolling window in the first post). Here is a document that explains how to get into the MW the first time:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxWB83bbALTQYjlENGZ0SVJUWWs

And here is another document that explains how to keep the MW up to date etc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kVj409nG_E0XJ5UrrcL7EVx7Qyx-2UQ7dbw4mINi3XQ

I've added the first few chapter titles to the MW just to show what you need , the rest are up to you.
Have fun

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You need to read the instructions about editing the MW - you are the Solist and that's your job
And you need to read the first post and use the file format needed - and check you have the intros and outros right :D

Anne
JoeDeNoia

Post by JoeDeNoia »

Hello,

So I am following the instructions on how to enter in changes in the MW as the BC.

Step one was to go to http://librivox.org/workflow and select "Login (for BCs & MCs)"
Unfortunately, when I do it brings me immediately to a new window that says:

You don't have permissions for this area.
Return to Librivox Management Tool Homepage
Logout

So for the moment I am at an impasse in how to update the Magic Window, since my ID does not have the proper Rights.

Any help would be appreciated.
AdeledePignerolles

Click 'log out' and then try logging in again. If you were logged in to the uploader and then try to log in to the MW it won't work. (By the way, now that you have access to the MW you can use your MW password to log in to the uploader too, so you don't have to use two different log-ins. :) ) I can't wait to listen to those sections!
Adele

Section 0 sounds great! There's two things that need fixing:
1:34, 2:47 clicks
Also, the file should be named survivors_chancellor_00_verne_128kb (and then for each one following you would change it to 01, 02 etc).
And one last thing :) Could you put the time for each file in the "Notes" section of the MW?
Thanks! I can't wait to listen to this book!
Adele

Chapter 1 is PL OK! :D
Adele