[Multilingual] WWI Centenary (Armistice Day) Prose Collection Vol. III-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi maryann,

first: is it too late to plan a maybe longer contribution?

i do ask, because:
im thinking of reading Militant Pacifism by Mary Whiton Calkins
THE one thing which unites the world to-day is the desire for the end of the Great War.
(great first sentence!)
Publication date 1917-10-01
Mary Whiton Calkins 30 March 1863 – 26 February 1930

im lacking english skills i fear, and i dont have any experience with how long that one will take to record.
maybe i will post a suggestion in the suggestion thread, instead (and notify you here)..

...and if you are finishing this project, i will put it aside or suggest it or contribute to another prose collection...

cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

schrm,

This is a great selection! I would be happy if you read it for the collection.

It is 10 pages, that is a nice length. Maybe 20-30 minutes? It is just a guess.

I will add this to the MW.

Regards,
MaryAnn
schrm

Post by schrm »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: May 30th, 2018, 5:38 am schrm,

This is a great selection! I would be happy if you read it for the collection.

It is 10 pages, that is a nice length. Maybe 20-30 minutes? It is just a guess.

I will add this to the MW.

Regards,
MaryAnn
thank you maryann!
then lets see...
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

hi maryann,

that caused some headache... (i cut 15 minutes of bloopers - in the second (to 4th) version) but, finally, i have a version uploaded.
next thing is: i do hope, my english is somehow understandable..

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_militantpacifism_calkins_schrm_128kb.mp3
duration 29:43
summary:
"THE one thing which unites the world to-day is the desire for the end of the Great War."
A psychological essay about pugnacity by Mary Whiton Calkins
cheers,
schrm
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great schrm.

So glad that you preservered! (since my spell check doesn't recognize this word, I can't figure out how to spell it and so I will say "stuck to it" instead . . . )

I will take a listen!

MaryAnn
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

Here is the link to the upload for Section 19 "Five Inches" from "Little Rays of Moonshine". Time is 07:44

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/wwi3_fiveinches_herbert_mh_128.kb_.mp3

A brief description: Although written in 1920, two years after the end of the First World War, the essay “Five Inches” from A. P. Herbert’s book “Little Rays of Moonshine” refers to the veterans of that war who lost limbs in battle. Herbert himself had first-hand knowledge of the war. He joined the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve at the outbreak of the War, later serving as an officer with the Royal Naval Division. He fought in the Gallipoli campaign and on the Western Front, becoming his battalion's adjutant in 1917, after which he was injured and did not return to the frontline before the end of the war.
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thank you Mary. I look forward to listening!
MaryAnn
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I would like to record "America's Purpose: The Establishment of Justice Between the Nations" An address given in New York by Pres. Woodrow Wilson, 27 September 1918.

If it's okay and I'm not duplicating too much or taking too many slots, I'd also like to read the full "Fourteen Points" message to Congress from January 1918.

If I can only do one, I'd rather do the "America's Purpose" Speech.

Both are available in this publication: https://archive.org/details/basesdurablepea00chicgoog

Thanks!
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Colleen,

Those are great choices and I've added them to the MW. We can always add more sections if needed!

MaryAnn
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Awesome, I will get to work on these over the weekend!

Just one thought, should the order of them in the MW be reversed as the Fourteen Points speech predates the other by 8 months? I haven't read the texts in detail yet, but it would be clearer in chronological order if any of Wilson's ideas are modified by September as circumstances changed in the field and the world stage. I believe for one thing, Russia/USSR had made their separate peace with the Axis between the two speeches.
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

I'll switch them Colleen. I just put them in the order of the table of contents, without paying attention to the dates.
MaryAnn
tpace

Post by tpace »

Hello MaryAnn,

If you're still taking volunteers, I'd like to read two pieces from the New York Times Current History: The European War volumes.

1) 'The Fourth of August—Europe at War' by H.G. Wells from New York Times Current History: The European War, Vol 1, No. 1 by Various 'from the beginning to ' March 1915.
- https://www.gutenberg.org/files/13635/13635-h/13635-h.htm#page87

2) 'Declares for War' by Theobald von Bethmann-Hollweg, German Imperial Chancellor from New York Times Current History: The European War from the Beginning to March 1915, Vol 1, No. 2, Who Began the War, and Why?
- https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16331/16331-h/16331-h.htm#DECLARES_FOR_WAR

I am new to LibriVox, so if you recommend getting more experience on another project first, I understand! :)

Thanks,
Tom
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tom,
Welcome to Librivox! This is a great project to start out on.

I'll add your claims to the MW. Don't forget to post a short description when you are done, I'll be posting a PDF with a description of the various selections when the project is cataloged.

Any questions, just ask.

Oh, and my question for you : How do you want to appear in the catalog? Some people use their forum name, some their real name, some something totally different. I've used your forum name to set up your reader page, but would be happy to change it. https://librivox.org/reader/12586

MaryAnn
tpace

Post by tpace »

Thanks, MaryAnn!

One quick question - in the introduction of the recording when I state the title and author, should I also mention that it is from the New York Times Current History? Or mention the date/year it is from?

As for my reader page, I'd like to appear as Thomas Pacey.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tom,

I've updated your catalog page, and yes, please read the source, and the date if you would like.

MaryAnn