Post by SkyRider »

Chapter 15 - A Few Things it is Well to Remember PL OK
Chapter 4 - What to have in your Store Room PL OK
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

BettyB

Post by BettyB »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/cultureandcooking_13_owen_128kb.mp3

I believe this is the corrected version for the intro spot check.
Sorry about that
Betty
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Spot check OK. Thanks, Betty.

Cheers,
Paul
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all :thumbs:
Carolin
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

I would like to continue with 8 and 9.

Betty
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you betty :D
Carolin
jftocanada

Post by jftocanada »

Here is Chapter 10 Completed and Ready For PL:
(duration ~ 4:13 min.)

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/cultureandcooking_10_owen_128kb.mp3

sincerely,
jftocanada
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you :thumbs:
Carolin
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

jftocanada wrote:Here is Chapter 10 Completed and Ready For PL:
PL Notes

The audio is a bit on the noisy side. That said, it sounds from the slight distortion in your voice as if you might already have applied as much noise reduction as you felt you safely could - certainly when I tried to apply some your reading started to 'bubble' a bit.

Could I ask you to try applying a little more noise reduction, please? There isn't a fixed level to get below but for me it was getting in the way of what was otherwise a great piece of reading. If you can't manage it without harming the vocal let me know and I'll change the status to PL OK - I've heard noisier readings so I might just be fussier than others on this one.

In future, it might be worth having the microphone closer to your mouth when reading; this will increase the volume difference between your voice and the background noise, allowing you to be more aggressive with the noise reduction without affecting your voice. I've seen YouTube videos that suggest that condenser microphones should be about six inches away from your mouth while dynamic microphones can benefit from being as close as an inch away.

Cheers,
Paul
Rottiegirl

Post by Rottiegirl »

Hi, I'd like to read Chapter 14 if no one has claimed it yet. This will be my first reading.
jftocanada

Post by jftocanada »

Hello PL PAUL:

My contribution of chapter 10, "SAUCES" did pass the 'checker' program's noise reduction level already ~
with the same specifications I have used for all of the now 50+ assignments I have contributed to librivox.
Thank you for your detailed and respectful PL notes ~ I find that they are helpful in identifying what
may be some discrepancy between your headphones or playback system and my headphones
and playback system it is for this reason ~ that I do feel like this time a second opinion might be in
order from MC Carolin ~
With respect to this I wanted to include and share in this post a portion of librivox 'quality'
statement from wikipedia:
...This means that some recordings are of lower audio fidelity; some feature background noises, non-native accents or other perceived imperfections in comparison to professionally recorded audiobooks. While some listeners may object to those books with chapters read by multiple readers, others find this to be a non-issue or even a feature.

I do agree that for this assignment, I could of perhaps been a bit too far away from the mic,
and in my own listening experience of librivox, I have found that some readers ~ although
using higher fidelity equipment, don't take the time to edit out breaths.
I have always taken the time to edit out as many 'breaths' as I can, which I have always felt
has made up for the lack of higher fidelity microphone.
With respect to the above shared info statement from wikipedia,
I guess you must be correct in that tastes and specifications can vary between MC's and PL's
but it is my understanding that if an assignment passes the 'checker' program that
Librivox is the platform that will then accept it as complete.

In closing, I have listened back to this assignment with headphones and without
and don't feel as though there is excessive noise in my playback system
and have tried to reduce noise further but it does result in 'robotifying' my vocal on this one.
Thank you for your insightful and enthusiastic feedback,
but I don't feel I can add anything else here.
If you have a chance to confer with Carolin this time around I'd appreciate that.
I don't think I'll have the time to re-record this assignment,
so no offense taken if you decide it best to have it re-recorded by another volunteer.

Sincerely,
jftocanada
SkyRider

Post by SkyRider »

Hi jftocanada...

I'm sorry - my previous post obviously wasn't clear. Nobody is asking you to re-record anything. We're all volunteers here and, as such, are aware that nobody has limitless time, resources, audio editing smarts etc. I'd merely asked if you were able to see if you could try seeing if it were possible to suppress the noise a bit more without affecting the vocal. You say you've tried so I've marked the section as PL OK.

Sadly, I'm not psychic so when there are issues such as that of noise level I have no idea whether you're aware of them and have discounted them or whether you weren't aware and needed to be told. No offence or rancour is meant in the comments - I've merely offered them up as information as to how an independent set of ears is hearing your audio.

It's also worth noting that while the checker program provides some useful validation checks, it's not a universal arbiter. A number of rules (such as ID3 tags, length of silence at end of longer recordings etc) have changed since the most recent version was released and in the specific case of noise the release notes state that "background noise validation disabled by default" so unless you explicitly turned the test back on it won't have been checking for noise levels.

Cheers,
Paul
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

BettyB

Post by BettyB »