[COMPL] Art Of Cookery Made Plain And Easy by H. Glasse - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing 15 & 16 - Sections 17 & 18 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

17-18 PL OK.

Hmmm....too early for sweets.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Kathrine, I have discovered a slight problem whilst editing one of the sections (section 20) in that the PDF file that I am recording from is missing two pages (164 & 165) of recipes.

Although the book that I am recording from is the 1784 edition, I could get all the missing recipes from a 1774 edition on archive.org:

https://archive.org/stream/artcookerymadep02glasgoog#page/n8/mode/2up

These recipes are shown in the index for the 1784 edition.

Is it OK for me to use the information from the 1774 edition to correct the two missing pages in the 1784 version? I wouldn't have thought that the recipes would have changed at all in the decade between the editions.

Thanks

Steve
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Yes, Steve, you can read those pages from the 1774-edition. (I found another 1784 scan on hathi-trust, I don't think you can access that in the UK, and checked that it was all the same). You are right, pancakes recipes didn't change in the interim :D
Kathrine
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing 17 & 18 Dave - Section 19 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

19 PL OK.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Dave

Thanks for PLing section 19 - Section 20 now uploaded.

I'm not sure if you follow the text to the recording when PLing but from a post of mine above you will see that I've encountered a few issues with this section, where the 1784 edition showed recipes in the index but the pages were missing from the text.

Firstly: I have recorded - To make: "Vine-Leaf Fritters" / "Clary Fritters" / "Apple Frazes" / "An Almond Fraze" / "Pancakes" / "Fine Pancakes" / "A Third Sort" / "A Forth Sort" from the text given in the 1774 edition of the book (PDF Pages: 201~203 - Book Pages: 158~160). Time range in the recording approx: 05:19 ~ 11:12.

Secondly: After "To Bake a Carp" - I have recorded "To Fry Tench" / "To Roast a Cod's Head" / "To Boil a Cod's Head" / "To Stew Cod" / "To Fricasee Cod" / "To Bake a Cod's Head" - from the text given in the 1774 edition of the book (PDF Pages: 211~213 - Book Pages: 168~170). Time range in the recording approx: 31:15 ~ 40:15.

Also, two pages - 170 & 171 are repeated in the (1784) text - so, I have (obviously) ignored these repeated pages.

Now, a quick word, just so's you don't go & make the same mistake that I have gone & done!

Do you remember just over a month ago when we followed that recipe to Dry a Goose? You know, the one where we had to put a heap of horse dung on the fire to smoke the goose in?

Well - When I'd done that, I just chucked the shovel I had used into the back of the cutlery drawer (as you do) and all was well (or so I thought) until this week. Now, be very careful when making Vine-Leaf Fritters in this latest section - since the recipe requires the use of a red-hot shovel.... :shock:

Take my advice and treat yourself to a new shovel from the hardware store and don't even think of grabbing the one from the back of the drawer to use in this recipe. (Like what I did!). :oops:

Consequently, I'm not feeling too good at the moment after stuffing my face with those damned fritters, so I'm off to the 'Need Help? Got Advice' forum to see if the good folks over there can suggest a cure for my current ailment.

Cheers

Steve

PS - I may be gone some time! :(
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

20 PL OK.

I find a pint of two of draught Guinness cures most of my ills. And no, I haven't been following the text. An almost hopeless task from your description.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote:I find a pint of two of draught Guinness cures most of my ills.
Ahh! A most excellent suggestion in principle, Dave but one I had to adapt slightly, since I'm not a great fan of 'The Black Stuff'!!

So, I set off instead for Southwold to take in the fine sea-air and of course it would have been extremely churlish of me not to have taken in a fine pint of Adnams (purely for medicinal purposes, you understand?) at The Lord Nelson.

Anyway, I'm feeling alot better now and as you can see, section 21 has been uploaded.

Thanks for PLing the previous section and I don't blame you for not following the text on that one. (I didn't either - but I think I got away with it!) ;)

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

21 PL OK.

In my youth when fishing I would occasionally catch eels. No one ate them though.
Steve

Post by Steve »

craigdav1 wrote:In my youth when fishing I would occasionally catch eels. No one ate them though.
Yes, I remember catching them as well! I recall that it could be a real nightmare trying to hold onto this writhing, slimy, slithering creature when all you wanted to do was remove the hook and chuck it back in the river!

And like you - no-one thought about eating them.

Thanks for PLing 21 - section 22 now uploaded (with a few eels hidden away in one or two of the recipes!)

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

22 PL OK!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks for PLing 22 Dave - section 23 now uploaded.

Cheers

Steve
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Link for 23 not working.

The file name is incorrect (starts with "zz") but I assume that can be corrected by Kathrine.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

23 PL OK.