[complete]The Key Note by Clara Louise Burnham - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
clupher

Post by clupher »

The Key Note by Clara Louise Burnham (1854 - 1927).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-key-note-by-clara-louise-burnham/

Love blooms amid the gorgeous scenery of an island off the coast of Maine as a group of vacationers discover an abused boy and set out to rescue him. This 1921 novel is another lovely creation by author Clara Louise Burnham. ( Christi Lupher)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/lookup?num=52110
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Clara Louise Burnham) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Louise_Burnham
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 23
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
  • Original publication date (if known): 1921
  • If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published 1900 onward; Romance

Keywords that describe the book: romance, New England, summer vacation

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of The Key Note. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "The Key Note, by Clara Louise Burnham. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of The Key Note by Clara Louise Burnham. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Key Note, by Clara Louise Burnham. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

[*]Example filename keynote_##_burnham_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. keynote_01_burnham_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Clara Louise Burnham
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: The Key Note

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Christi Lupher
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up for you. Back in a few minutes with the MW.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

OK, Christi, it's all set up for you.
I see it is your first solo and your first time acting as a BC. No problem, I can walk you through this :D

At the top right hand corner, there is an 'edit' button. By clicking that you can edit the first post. I have already made a couple of changes to the standard, but you don't need to worry about them.
That is where you go when you want to edit your summary.
Also, if you look nearer the bottom of the post, it says about the file name. At this point, that's just a suggestion - you get to choose! That one looks good to me, but you can change it. The idea is that it should be unique and not too long. You use the same file name for every chapter, just changing the section numbers to _01_, _02_ etc.

Under that, you'll see some blurb about id tags. That is a holdover from earlier days - with our current software, id tags are added automatically at cataloguing so they are redundant. Some readers like to add something for their own benefit but it's not necessary. You can delete the whole section about id tags.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

The next thing is the Magic Window. To non-techies like me, it really is Magic to the more enlightened, not so much.

The best way to start is by reading and following these directions:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

You'll see you need a new password - this is supposed to be different from your main forum password and should be more secure.
If you have trouble with that, I'd suggest contacting knotyouraveragejo via PM - she is able to get in to the inner workings of passwords etc.

You get to the MW by clicking on the BCAdmin button under the Magic Window.
That will take you to the section compiler.
You'll see that I've already started things off for you to show you what's needed. I've already put you in as the reader of every section; I've also added the first couple of chapter titles - it will be up to you to go in and add the rest. Just click on the box, type the title and hit enter - no need to say chapter 1 etc. I like to add all titles at the beginning, but some readers add them as the go along.

Edit: no need to worry about word counts unless you want to.

I think that's it until you've recorded your first chapter, but any questions, just ask. And relax - this is FUN!
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Do you have a DPL arranged? If you do, I need to add him or her to the project. If not, we should add a tilde (~) to the beginning of the title as LV shorthand to potential DPLs.
clupher

Post by clupher »

Great! Thanks for all the help with starting up. I'm planning to go in tomorrow and add all the chapter names.

I don't have a DPL arranged, so anyone who wants to do it would be lovely.

Thanks again so much!
Christi Lupher
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Hi Christi

I would happy to act as DPL.

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Lynnet »

Christi
I am adding Algy Pug as your DPL and also moving this thread to the Going Solo forum. You should still get notifications, but just won't find it if you go looking in the Launch Pad.
clupher

Post by clupher »

Hi Algy. Thanks for being my DPL!

And thanks, Lynnet for getting me set up! I finally got through getting my BC login and then put the chapter titles in. I've been re-reading the book to get it fresh in my mind. Now I just need to start recording.
Christi Lupher
clupher

Post by clupher »

Hi Lynette,

I've finished the first chapter. Normally I'd post the link and how long it is...

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/keynote_01_burnham_128kb.mp3
22:37

But since I'm soloing, I'm supposed to add the link into the magic window myself. I'm guessing that means I don't really need to add the link here? I'm not quite sure what the time is needed for, though. Am I supposed to do something with that, or do you need it?
Christi Lupher
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

clupher wrote:Hi Lynette,

I've finished the first chapter. Normally I'd post the link and how long it is...

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/keynote_01_burnham_128kb.mp3
22:37

But since I'm soloing, I'm supposed to add the link into the magic window myself. I'm guessing that means I don't really need to add the link here? I'm not quite sure what the time is needed for, though. Am I supposed to do something with that, or do you need it?
Hi Christi
You've entered the file correctly and adjusted the drop down menu :thumbs:
There is no need to post the link or time in the thread... just post something along the lines of "chapter x is ready for PL" so it shows up in Algy's newsfeed.
You should add the time in the notes column as this is a way we can check things have uploaded correctly. They usually do, but I recently had a 25 minute file that only uploaded as 4:30! Please note that the "notes" column requires you to actually save, rather than just enter.
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Excellent reading and great character voices! :clap:

A few small corrections for your attention:

10:33
as impersonally as though they had both been children of five.
I heard
as impersonally as though they had been children of five.

17:13
"Recuperatin',
I heard
"Recuperation,

18:57
The apparition of any human being
I heard
The operation of any human being

20:48
"'Look in broiler oven for legs.'"
I heard
"'Look in broiler for legs.'"

Cheers
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by clupher »

Hi Algy,

Wow, great listening! I'd caught two of those, and thought: Meh, they're small. But the other two I completely missed.
What's your opinion? Should I re-record all of them, or are they small enough to let slide?
Christi Lupher
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

clupher wrote:Hi Algy,

Wow, great listening! I'd caught two of those, and thought: Meh, they're small. But the other two I completely missed.
What's your opinion? Should I re-record all of them, or are they small enough to let slide?
As a general rule, PL notes are guides rather than instructions (the exceptions being with technical issues or a major deviation from the text). If it's bad, it's the reader who has "egg on their face", not the proof listener :lol: Bear in mind sometimes corrections make it sound worse. Just note here, for example, "I fixed x and y but decided to leave z"
clupher

Post by clupher »

OK, Chapter 2 is done.

I'm going to go ahead and post the links and times, just to keep the habit for when I'm not soloing any more.
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/keynote_02_burnham_128kb.mp3
31:30

I still haven't figured out why we post the time. Is there something I'm supposed to do with it as the book coordinator?
Christi Lupher