icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 37 is PL OK!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Well, I have already split it up, although I guess I could recombine the two parts if you wish.. However, as is, the time for the two parts combined appears to be 73 minutes. I believe I could bring it down to under 70 minutes by speeding it up a bit, isn't that the case ? I have a low voice, so raising the pitch slightly would be OK I think. Anyway, here is Part Two in case we can go with two parts.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/popularhistoryofastronomy_13(2)_clerke_128kb.mp3 Time: 28:04

The time for Part One is 45:54
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

I see I mistakenly used 13 (the Chapter number) in the two file names instead of 41, the Section number. This obviously needs to be corrected, but I will wait to do that until I have your decision about putting the two files back together. They will total 73 minutes and I don't think there is a way to speed things up to retroactively shorten the file. Sorry to be such a klutz. :oops:

I have been wondering whether my voice is good for this business and, in particular, whether the pace of my reading is satisfactory. Too slow? Any assessment of my reading would be very welcome and appreciated.
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

You know, I think that we will leave your recording as two sections, especially since these are the last two sections. They won't mess up anyone else, so no harm or foul! As far as your pacing, I think your pace is fine. Going a little bit slower with meatier text is better, just because there is so much information. Plus, some listener's don't like fast readers, even though this is not something that I necessarily worry about. A crafty listener can always slow down or speed up a recording to their liking. But, you are doing just fine!

And, don't worry about fixing the section numbers, I will do that right now!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you for your help with Section 41 and comments about my reading.

I could do Section 40
Russ Bruno
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

If I do Section 40, I need some guidance with respect to the numerous notations such as 0.334' Would I say: point 334 minutes? If not, what?
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

That is a good question. I will pose this question in another spot in the forum so that someone with more science/mathematical knowledge than I have can give us some clarification...unless someone involved with this project can answer your question.

To answer the next question, there is a tiny bit of Greek, οι‘ πο′λλοι , that is pronounced, "oy polloy."
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Questions are answered so quickly around here, I love it! OK, you are correct, Shasta, 0.334' would be point 334 minutes. Section 40 is yours, thank you!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you regarding the decimal notation question. Now am going to try to repeat a posting that I did earlier this afternoon. For some reason it has not shown up after I posted it.

I don't know what to do about Greek letters that appear before certain words in the text. For example on line 7, page 1667 and a number of them on page 1694. I have no idea what they represent or how to pronounce them and my present plan is to skip over them and just try to pronounce the following word.

Then there is PLATE VI on page 1688. My plan for dealing with it and the discussion of it is this: Starting toward the bottom of page 1687 I will omit the text beginning "In Plate VI. one of these . . ." and ending at the top of page 1689 with "many clusters." Then I will revise the beginning of the next-following paragraph to read as follows: Mr. H. C. Russell's photographs, at Sidney in 1890, of the Southern Milky Way . . ." OK?
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

For the text with the plates, I think your plan is fine. For the Greek letters, I will give you a rundown of the letters in English. I have the pronunciation of οι‘ πο′λλο as " oy pol-loy," with the first o in polloy as long. The Greek letters that appear in the text should be...

α = alpha
β = beta
π = pi
κ = kappa
δ = delta

I think I got them all. So, when the text has "α Lyræ" that should be read as "alpha Lyrae," with the connected ae being read as a long 'a'. If I missed any other Greek letter, let me know!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 19 is in the MW, if anyone would like to PL it, please feel free!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Shasta

Post by Shasta »

Thank you.

Actually, the text for 'ol etc. pops up with a translation as "hoi pholloi".

I will Google for the full Greek to English alphabet. I think there is at least one other in addition to those you list.
Russ Bruno
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Yep, that pronunciation works as well!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »