COMPLETE[PLAY] The Devil is an Ass by Ben Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

excellent job Todd, I just finished the other 4 acts.

Acts 2, 3 and 5 are immediately PL ok :clap:

Special applause for your Spanish Lady, I loved her primness :lol: Do you know how I pictured her ? A character from the Hercules Legendery Journeys series with Kevin Sorbo. In some episodes, his friend Iolaus played the female character ofWidow Twankee. :lol: She was just as prim and proper as you play the Lady here.

Here you are: https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/hercxena/images/3/32/Widow_Twanky.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20090720053309 :mrgreen:

Found a few PL notes in Act 4 though:

> at 5:14: (p. 320 middle) - "make the decoction" - you say decotage, well I don't know this word, but since the Spanish Lady shows quite some inventive talent here, that might not be important. Your choice

> at 8.34-8:44: can be cut out, since it will be repeated

> at 10:50: (p. 324 bottom): "De-vile" - here you pronounce it "vile" and later on at 11:20: "vill" , which I personally prefer as it makes the pun with devil more pronounced, so I would suggest to stick to one pronunciation, preferably "vill"

Excellent job, all in all !

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Can I claim Frances Fitzdottrel please ?

Sandra
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, thanks.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Fixes made to Wittipol Acts 1 and 4. Thank you for your careful listening!

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:Fixes made to Wittipol Acts 1 and 4. Thank you for your careful listening!
Todd
thanks Todd, both acts perfectly fixed and PL ok now

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:[] Special applause for your Spanish Lady, I loved her primness :lol: Do you know how I pictured her ? A character from the Hercules Legendery Journeys series with Kevin Sorbo. In some episodes, his friend Iolaus played the female character of Widow Twankee. :lol: She was just as prim and proper as you play the Lady here. Sonia
I do not know the Sorbo reference (probably an off-shoot of "Carry On"), but I was certainly picturing myself decked out in white lace, including lace hat and veil, fluttering my fan ever so enchantingly as I worked the crowd....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I do not know the Sorbo reference (probably an off-shoot of "Carry On")
:lol: not at all ! Hercules is a TV series that I liked very much in the late 90s. Just like Xena-Warrior Princess, the female counterpart to Hercules, who had her own series as well. If you're not into Greek mythology and adventure series...you probably don't know them
but I was certainly picturing myself decked out in white lace, including lace hat and veil, fluttering my fan ever so enchantingly as I worked the crowd....
yes, this sounds like Widow Twankey :mrgreen:

Sonia
catharmaiden

Post by catharmaiden »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

catharmaiden wrote:Mrs Frances for Acts 1, 4 and 5. Need a bit more time for Act 2
thank you Sandra, well done so far on the acts you recorded. Mrs Fitzdottrel sounds like she is suffering under her overly jealous husband, but still, she's not a weak woman. :thumbs: Nicely done. Looking forward to the scene we have together :mrgreen:

And these 3 acts are PL ok

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, thank you so much for bringing us a step closer to the finishing line, Brad :D

Meercraft 3 is now PL ok.

I find his long monologues explaining his schemes always so hilarious here :lol: you sound just like those enthusiastic salesmen who really really want to sell their wares, no matter what.

However there are a few things to correct still in those 2 acts:

in Act 4:

> at about 3:11: please insert missing lines (p. 319 top): "Master Fitzdottrel, and his wife !"

in Act 5:

> at 3:20: (p. 336 middle) - "and you, of those of steel for the common sort" - you say "of those that steal for the common sort" which changes the meaning completely in this context of the forks

> at 4:06: (p. 336 bottom) - "ware what you do, master Ambler" - stumble needs to be cut out

> at 6:53: (p. 343 bottom) - "are you phrenetic, Sir ?" that's Manly's line, can be cut out

that's all, the rest was totally fine. Thanks !

Sonia
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

The best I can say for those is, "oops!" Rather careless errors.
As for the stumble, I usually clap my hands when I want to reread something, but it's easy to find during editing. But that one I somehow missed.

Corrected.

Brad
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hamlet wrote:As for the stumble, I usually clap my hands when I want to reread something, but it's easy to find during editing. But that one I somehow missed.
yes I indeed heard a clap there :mrgreen:

Meercraft is totally PL ok, thanks Brad !

Sonia
Ealswythe

Post by Ealswythe »

Could I please play Lady Tailbush?
Thank you!
:D
Le silence va plus vite à reculons.

https://librivox.org/reader/11772
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Ealswythe wrote:Could I please play Lady Tailbush?
Thank you!
:D
hey Linda, thanks for claiming :9: I am sure you will be great at projectering. :mrgreen:

I'll update the MW...

Sonia