COMPLETE[PLAY] The Misanthrope by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Kitty wrote:Leanne, I actually already claimed Eliante, but Celimene is still available, and she is the main female lead. You get to flirt with everybody around you, although also having a mean streak mocking your lovers behind their backs. How about that ? ;)

Sonia

YAAAAS. I'm all for it!!!
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote:YAAAAS. I'm all for it!!!
thought you would :mrgreen:

Sonia
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Is it possible to have feedback on my character for Dubois? I tried to make him be someone perpetually on the edge of panic. Does that fit the character? Is the performance a bit over the top or otherwise not best for the role?

Note: I'd prefer honest responses to ego-stroking. The former will be much more effective in the long term.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:Is it possible to have feedback on my character for Dubois?
:shock: SORRY !!! I missed that post (shame on me)

Will be back shortly with feedback

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok I'm back and listened to Dubois. Excellently done RP :thumbs: I love the sort of "higher" voice you do, as if you speak through your nose a bit. And the bumbling and stuttering in some parts is quite fitting, as he his quite agitated in this scene.

As for the paper-searching near the end...while it's a great idea in my opinion, it might come close to "changing the text", as these lines are not written down by Molière. Well, I let Todd decided whether he wants to use them, in any case, you left enough space to cut them out if needed.

No errors, no missing lines. PL ok, definitely (and this is not "ego-stroking" but plain truth) :)

Sonia
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Thank you. I wondered whether he should be a bit of a pedantic plodding person failing to appreciate the urgency of his employer. But, if this is acceptable, I'll put effort into my next roles.

The script says that Dubois is searching around a bit. Which works as a stage direction but can't be heard. I don't expect the searching vocalisations to be used, but noted a comment on another dramatic reading when the PL/editor (?) said that it was always good to include things as things that aren't needed can easily be discarded. But, things that aren't there can't be produced out of thin air.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

RecordingPerson wrote:The script says that Dubois is searching around a bit. Which works as a stage direction but can't be heard. I don't expect the searching vocalisations to be used, but noted a comment on another dramatic reading when the PL/editor (?) said that it was always good to include things as things that aren't needed can easily be discarded. But, things that aren't there can't be produced out of thin air.
yes I also love when stage directions are "acted" mainly with "whispers" or "laughs" or stuff like that. Of course for the bigger things, which might not easily be conveyed, we still have the narrator to tell us what's happening. and you're right, better a bit more than not enough :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote:
Kitty wrote:Leanne, I actually already claimed Eliante, but Celimene is still available, and she is the main female lead. You get to flirt with everybody around you, although also having a mean streak mocking your lovers behind their backs. How about that ? ;)

Sonia

YAAAAS. I'm all for it!!!
I can't get to the MW at present, but Celimene is yours.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote:I can't get to the MW at present, but Celimene is yours.
Thanks, Todd
I input her for you, Todd, to make it official :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and here is already the first part for Eliante, the voice of reason :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/misanthrope_eliante_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:43 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

RecordingPerson wrote:Thank you. I wondered whether he should be a bit of a pedantic plodding person failing to appreciate the urgency of his employer. But, if this is acceptable, I'll put effort into my next roles.

The script says that Dubois is searching around a bit. Which works as a stage direction but can't be heard. I don't expect the searching vocalisations to be used, but noted a comment on another dramatic reading when the PL/editor (?) said that it was always good to include things as things that aren't needed can easily be discarded. But, things that aren't there can't be produced out of thin air.
I try to make things easiest for a listener to understand when I edit. Sometimes a noise clearly conveys what is going on - I left some door knocking in a play recently. But usually the stage direction is needed/has to be left in place becuz there is a strong visual component to the actions that can't be conveyed such via some sound - in which case the sound may be redundant once the stage direction is read aloud.

In general, Librivox does not want sound effects - too easy to end up with non-PD sounds - and we stress going with just the author's words - where often they tell you clearly what is happening through their clear written directions. See the Barrie "Kiss for Cinderella" and soon "Quality Street" - I think the narrator in each has more to say than any of the main characters, and in many cases is telling you what characters are thinking but not actually saying. Other playwrights tell us nothing and leave it all to our (and hence our listener's) imagination.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote:and here is already the first part for Eliante, the voice of reason :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/misanthrope_eliante_2.mp3
Recording time: 1:43 min.

Sonia
Thanks - I will PL that.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 4:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/misanthrope_eliante_4.mp3
Recording time: 2:47 min.

this is so tragic: Alceste loves Célimène, but she doesn't love him - Eliante loves Alceste - and Philinte loves Eliante. How do these people feel with being only "second choice" ? :(

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aaaaand Act 5 (seems you get lucky, Philinte ;) )

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/misanthrope_eliante_5.mp3
Recording time: 0:34 min.

oh and this is my 5555th post :shock: that many already ?! how did I get there ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Interesting. Hope all these love affairs work out - even if not well.

I reached my 5555 post over the weekend too. viewtopic.php?p=1360276#p1360276

Thanks, Todd