COMPLETE[PLAY] The Misanthrope by Moliere - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

oooh, excellent performance here, Alan. In the beginning where you are "grilling" Célimène to finally choose between you two, you are already quite insistent (or rather, doggedly). But the hightlight for me was your final speech, where you show your full contempt for "this lady" (the way you said those words is priceless :thumbs: ). Wonderful.

Only one small thing I noticed:

> at 1:31 and at 1:40: you twice repeat the same sentence "Please to choose between the one or the other". Could you cut out the one you don't like as much ?

and while you're at it:

> at 2:08: not much space left out for Todd to edit in another's voice between two "reading bits" ;)

thanks (and I say it again, I wish Oronte had a larger role). Well now you are free to play Satan (I just finished with Pug today)

Sonia
PaulHW

Post by PaulHW »

Hello,

Would it possible to play the part of Basque?

Thanks,
PaulHW
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

PaulHW wrote:Hello,

Would it possible to play the part of Basque?

Thanks,
PaulHW
Yes. Welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done a stage direction, so you know about leaving good sized gaps between lines in your file. I will hold this role for you until your test recording is okayed.

Thanks, ToddHW
PaulHW

Post by PaulHW »

Yes. Welcome to Librivox. I see you have already done a stage direction, so you know about leaving good sized gaps between lines in your file. I will hold this role for you until your test recording is okayed.
Thank you!

Ms. Sonia, I hear that you are the person to ask about pronunciations - do you have any suggestions or resources you could point me towards in figuring out how to properly pronounce a few names? From the Misanthrope, I'm not sure of "Clitandre," "Eliante" from the main character listings on page 191, or "Arsinoe" from the bottom page 218.

Thank you both,
PaulHW
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PaulHW and ToddHW :hmm: what a coincidence

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PaulHW wrote:Ms. Sonia, I hear that you are the person to ask about pronunciations - do you have any suggestions or resources you could point me towards in figuring out how to properly pronounce a few names? From the Misanthrope, I'm not sure of "Clitandre," "Eliante" from the main character listings on page 191, or "Arsinoe" from the bottom page 218.
well as Todd likes to always say, as long as you are consistent throughout your own lines, any pronunciation, especially for personal names is ok. In real life some people pronounce some names differently as well.

But: if you want to say them the original French way, it's this way:

can you do nasals ? Then remember to say nasal 'an' in both Clitandre and Eliante. And the 'e' at the end would not be pronounced clearly but rather soft, practically non existant. Whereas in Arsinoé you say the 'e' at the end Ar-see-no-ay.

However: if you want to say them like our narrator for stage direction says them, she pronounces them all the Italian way, so no nasals and the 'e' at the end is pronounced clearly.

so you are spoilt for choice

As for resource, if all else fails, I can make you a sound file :mrgreen:

Sonia
PaulHW

Post by PaulHW »

PaulHW and ToddHW :hmm: what a coincidence
*Whistles absentmindedly, with complete innocence*

And thank you, the advice is greatly appreciated (and, even being warned as to the speed of a possible reply, I feel you were still somehow undersold!). I'll listen to a few versions and see if I can settle on something consistent.

Thanks again,
PaulHW
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

was about to log off for the day, but this is intriguing...
PaulHW wrote:*Whistles absentmindedly, with complete innocence*
ok is this forum gonna be flooded by the HW family soon ? :shock:
even being warned as to the speed of a possible reply, I feel you were still somehow undersold!
and this comment you need to elaborate please as I have no idea what you mean LOL (seriously)

ok, and now: definitely logging off for the night and relaxing with a few episodes of Mentalist

Sonia
PaulHW

Post by PaulHW »

Kitty wrote:and this comment you need to elaborate please as I have no idea what you mean LOL (seriously)
Ha, I was told you have a wonderful habit of responding quickly whenever help is needed, I was just still surprised it arrived in under 10 minutes.

Paul
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you Alan :) Oronte is now completely PL ok and ready to be inserted

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Willing to take on the laborious role of the 'Guard', An Officer of the Marechaussee, Act 2, if so permitted. :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And now we are full!

(Roger - you are responsible for my being here. One of the first Librivox stories I listened to was some adventure you read about a woman wearing spider earrings, leading to treasure in the Andes or something. And then I listened to another story, and then another, and then the "for more information or to volunteer" part of the disclosure got to me....)

Thanks, Todd
Roger

Post by Roger »

Todd - I recall the story you refer to (I think). After reading your post, I figured your initial thought after listening to my recording was something like "Well, if a book narrated like this can be posted, I'll give it a go myself!" :mrgreen:
Be that as it may, I'm glad you decided to join. This is a great community, and your contributions are most valuable toward its success.

Anyway, the role of the Guard has been uploaded. I introduced him as "An Officer of the Marechaussee", rather than "Guard". I hope that's okay. If not, let me know and I can spend the many hours necessary to re-record it. :lol:

Total time for this exhaustive work: :30
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/misanthrope_guard_2.mp3

Please let me know if any corrections or improvements may be desired.
Thanks for letting me participate!
Last edited by Roger on July 28th, 2017, 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Thank you Roger ! As expected, your officer is stern, no-nonsense, and probably the "bad cop" in any double act. Exactly what we needed to carry Alceste away. :thumbs:

All the lines are in, no errors.

One tiny thing though, you said as voice credit "officer of the marquise", which does not really make sense. The maréchaussée is a French word that derives from the "marshalls" (in French "maréchaux"), not from a marquis. I made you a sound-file so you can hear the difference:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/marechaussee.mp3

if you'd like to correct this still, that would be cool (now you probably wish you had said "Guard" :mrgreen: )

But for the rest: perfect !

Sonia