COMPLETE[PLAY] Orra: A Tragedy by Joanna Baillie - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
benderca

Post by benderca »

Kitty wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:24 am I think here at LV we are blessed with the crème de la crème :9: or maybe it is that LV is bringing out the best in us. :mrgreen:
It's a combination of both, I'm sure. :D
Kitty wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:24 am Belvadera :lol: great ! I think it was supposed to be the same servant though ;) but no matter, I'm sure Count Hugobert has more than two servants. Belvadera surely is an asset to the household. :thumbs: PL ok, as well.
Ooops. I didn't actually read the play. Or even the scene. But I am attending Rudigere in Act 3 (and my judgement is trusted by him, in contrast to Servant 1... ha!) and Hughobert in Act 5 (who seems to have just killed Rudigere), so I thought they were two different servants. But indeed, one can never have too many faithful servants, I always say... Wait. I've never said that before. But I should say it. Maybe I'll start saying it...
Kitty wrote: March 12th, 2018, 5:24 am Thanks for helping out here, TJ. We are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel for this play. One more role....

Sonia
Always glad to help out. The pleasure is entirely mine... (bows). You know I love to ham it up on stage... uh, I mean, in my recording studio, uh, well, actually just in front of my microphone... :lol:
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Here are the few lines for Maurice.
Sorry this flew under my radar.
And, I forgot there was another part in Act V, but I'll get it in as soon as I can.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_maurice_1.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_maurice_2.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_maurice_5.mp3
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote: March 12th, 2018, 10:06 am Here are the few lines for Maurice.
Sorry this flew under my radar.
And, I forgot there was another part in Act V, but I'll get it in as soon as I can.
Larry !!! great, our final role is in :9: and wonderfully play-acted. You are quite a convincing sycophant and traitor :lol: ok, that probably came out wrong. Well, it only shows that you are a good actor, you know that's what I meant. ;)

I loved the little chuckle at one point, he sounds a bit mischievous there. And the entire beginning of act one is soooo slimy ass-kissing Glottenball. I remember how "borderline-nitwitty" Craig played his Glottenball, so I can well imagine how great you two will sound together in that scene. :thumbs:

All three acts PL ok. Well, there was one Omnes line on page 88 for Act 5, but I think we have enough voices to create a good effect there, so I don't think you need to add that line, unless you wish to. Excellent job, and thanks for jumping in immediately.

Chuck: this means Acts 1, 2 and 5 are also READY TO EDIT. Not sure if you will whoop for joy or sigh in despair now :lol: You have your work cut out for you now.

Thanks to all the cast. I am sure it will sound brilliant. Can't wait to hear it all assembled. :9:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Haha! When it rains, it pours.

Thanks Larry and Benderca. :-) I love the recordings... and now...

Oh boy. I've got a lot of work to do. Looks like I'll be spending some quality time in my editing bunker this week. :shock:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Here's Act I! :D
wonderfully assembled and PL ok, Chuck !!! We all sound so great together. And I like the way you did the voice credits, with you speaking the whole description and then using our voices to complete. I don't think I ever heard it that way but it sounds good. :thumbs:

A great start in the play. Can't wait for the rest. :D

Ah only one thing, the volume seems to be 92.1 according to Checker. I don't think this bit matters much though.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: March 16th, 2018, 12:11 pm
ChuckW wrote:Here's Act I! :D
wonderfully assembled and PL ok, Chuck !!! We all sound so great together. And I like the way you did the voice credits, with you speaking the whole description and then using our voices to complete. I don't think I ever heard it that way but it sounds good. :thumbs:

A great start in the play. Can't wait for the rest. :D

Ah only one thing, the volume seems to be 92.1 according to Checker. I don't think this bit matters much though.

Sonia
haha. The credits done in that style was kinda borne of necessity. I wanted to keep the dramatis personae as close to Baillie's text as possible, which forced me to do it this way.

And here's Act II:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_2_baillie_128kb.mp3 [32:50]

Fun Fact: There's a pretty major typographical error in this act: we skip directly from Scene I to Scene III. I double checked to make sure we weren't missing anything, but nope... this is an error in the text. I hope our listeners are too wrapped up in the story to really notice.
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

haha. The credits done in that style was kinda borne of necessity. I wanted to keep the dramatis personae as close to Baillie's text as possible, which forced me to do it this way.
why didn't you say so from the beginning, you could have put in the entire description in the MW. Todd does it that way, and I make sure our actors hand in the entire credit :twisted:
And here's Act II:
Fun Fact: There's a pretty major typographical error in this act: we skip directly from Scene I to Scene III. I double checked to make sure we weren't missing anything, but nope... this is an error in the text. I hope our listeners are too wrapped up in the story to really notice.
haha I surely didn't notice. I just hope there is no major Scene 2 missing entirely :? But maybe the text only omitted putting in the scene separation at some crucial point.

Act 2 is super assembled again and the dialogues work so perfectly well together. :9: It was really highly enjoyable to listen to it all.

However, this time I have a few PL notes:

> at 4:39: p. 24: [to Theobald] - I think this is better placed at 4:37, before "wots he of such a Lord ?" because then she turns to him.

> at 16:48: p. 33: missing sentence: "I did mistake thy words". I hope Ava recorded them and you only forgot to paste them in :?

> at 19:55-19:58: p. 35: "No ! brave Rudigere...." the break between the two sentences is too long. I would shorten the pause

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Haha. Who knows? This play wasn't reprinted after it's initial publication, but Valancourt recently published a collection of some of Baillie's best plays and included this "flub." I suspect the scene between Orra, Alice, and Cathrina might technically be Scene II, since it comes at that section's midpoint and seems completely disconnected from the prior action. In any case, we're not missing anything. The printers just messed up. (There's a similar error in Act III, where the stage directions say that the First Outlaw has arrived even though it's the second.)

Anyway, here are Acts II (with all necessary corrections) and Act III. Thanks again, Sonia!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_3_baillie_128kb.mp3 [31:18]
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 17th, 2018, 4:34 pmAnyway, here are Acts II (with all necessary corrections) and Act III. Thanks again, Sonia!
Perfect ! Both Acts PL ok. ooooh, we are so nearing the end here :9:

The crucial main scene in Act 3 was definitely the dialogue between Orra and Rudigere, and Ava and Tomas really played that one to perfection. Wonderful. I actually couldn't help rooting for the torn villain Rudigere here. :oops: It's a bit of a weakness of mine to like this kind of villain in movies :lol:

Anyway, everybody was great ! And as I suspected, the short scene with the two scared servants running, was really a funny interlude. :mrgreen:

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Rudigere is kind of a tragic antihero, in his own way. I think that's only natural. :-)

Anyway, here's the last act:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/orra_5_baillie_128kb.mp3 [34:08]

Sorry about dumping all of these on you at once. I didn't expect everyone to finish all of their lines up at the same time.

Todd: I've also made some slight adjustments to the summary. Mostly grammatical stuff. Nothing major.
PROJECTS
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ChuckW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:27 am Todd: I've also made some slight adjustments to the summary. Mostly grammatical stuff. Nothing major.
I have copied the first post summary into the MW project screen. Cast list?

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:27 am Sorry about dumping all of these on you at once. I didn't expect everyone to finish all of their lines up at the same time.
no worries. Well today I had a huge backlog of PL jobs and it's one of the few days I did not finish all the sections that piled up. Mainly due to the long acts in Orra and Cabinet Minister, which also finished today. :9:

But I will spend the next half hour listening to the final act, so we can archive this today (if Todd has time)

Stay tuned !

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

ToddHW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:32 am
ChuckW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:27 am Todd: I've also made some slight adjustments to the summary. Mostly grammatical stuff. Nothing major.
I have copied the first post summary into the MW project screen. Cast list?

Thanks, Todd
Okay, I'll confess: I don't know how this is done, exactly. Sonia did it for me last time, and I don't recall putting together cast lists when I was BC-ing dramatic projects way back when. Can you send me instructions or an FAQ or something?

Sorry. I'm a dunce. :(
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:36 am Okay, I'll confess: I don't know how this is done, exactly. Sonia did it for me last time, and I don't recall putting together cast lists when I was BC-ing dramatic projects way back when. Can you send me instructions or an FAQ or something?
I can't remember whether I did it last time ? :hmm:

Anyway, here is an example, of how Tomas did his cast list.

viewtopic.php?p=1434175#p1434175

Just go to the reply button, then copy/paste this template, and change the character names and reader pages and you'll be all set. Many of the readers are the same anyway in both plays :lol:

Hope this helps

Sonia