COMPLETE SOLO [FINNISH] Ruhtinas by Niccolo Machiavelli-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
Guess what? :) I was asked to work overtime on my short "vacation". And I thought that somebody has to make these cars! I made good money on my overtime €_€ .

ButI have managed to work on this project dispite how little time I have, the project is almost, almost ready. Few chapters are already complete, but I upload them all at once.

I have this weekend off from work, and this time I have to be tough and say "No" to overtime. So, new deadline is 10th October. This time for real!
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the update Harr. I fully understand, OT is hard to turn down, but keep in mind that all work and no play is not healthy. So hope you are squeezing in a bit of time for Harr along the way.
MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

UPDATE:
Just few more days, almost ready! :clap:
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Now the files are finally ready! Before I convert them to mp3s and upload, I have just one little question.

I recorded the intro as follows on most files (all but 1st, in which there are longer intro):
Ruhtinas by Niccolo Machiavelli. This Librivox recording is on public domain. 3rd chapter. [Chapter topic]...[Body Text]... (but in Finnish, offcourse)

Is this ok intro? Or should I add the chapter number in front part of the intro also? Or is there anything else in need to be fixed?

I talked to my brother today, he is ready to prooflisten in upcoming days. And it was that I need to ask my sister (who reads the references) to register in this forum, right?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Harr,

Generally, we like to have the chapter number at the start of the intro because if a listener is visually impaired (or simply can't read the file name because they are sitting in the dark, or whatever), they can hear what file they have right away without having to listen to the entire intro first.

Practically though, when you are using the short intro, it doesn't seem too long to wait to hear what file you have, so I think it is ok.

You do not mention the translator in the short intro . . . that's fine, but please be sure to include the translator's name in the intro to section 1 and in the outro at the end of the book.

As to your sister, yes, she needs to register for the forum. I will then need her forum name to create a reader record for her and give her credit for contributing to the recordings. Does she speak in every file? Or does she speak only for certain chapters?

Congratulations! You've put a lot of work into this and I'm glad to see you so close to completion!

MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Sorry for the delay (again), but now I should have the time and energy to take this to end (again ;) ).
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:You do not mention the translator in the short intro . . . that's fine, but please be sure to include the translator's name in the intro to section 1 and in the outro at the end of the book.
Yes I mention translator on intro on 1st chapter and at the end of the book. I also mention reader (me) only in 1st and last chapters, and help-reader (my sister) is also mentioned only in these two spots.
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: As to your sister, yes, she needs to register for the forum. I will then need her forum name to create a reader record for her and give her credit for contributing to the recordings. Does she speak in every file? Or does she speak only for certain chapters?
There are couple of chapters that doesn't have references. But as I said, the readers are only mentioned on long intro/outro at the start and end of the book, so it doesn't cause any problems, does it?

I have now asked my sister to register to this forum, and she'll come soon to say hello at this thread. My brother already has username here, he is known as 'Karspe'.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

Before I upload the files, I have something on my mind, on which I need to get answer.

I noticed that in Magic Window there are sections from 0-27. But there are actually only 26 real chapters, and one lead-in by the translator, and one dedication by Machiavelli himself, so 26+ 2 = 28. Does this matter? Or I should rather ask; do the topic of chapter go hand-on-hand with the filenames?

I mean it would be quite indiscreet to have the book shown in the player thus:
Chapter 0: Introduction
Chapter 1: Dedication
Chapter 2: Chapter 1
Chapter 3: Chapter 2

If needed, I can put the introduction and the dedication at the same file, on chapter 0. So the book chapters would go in hand-on-hand on the rest of the book. Is this necessary?
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Harr,

It's really your choice how to handle it.

I've had both a preface and an introduction on a solo, and I chose to read them both as one file (section 0) so the section numbers for the chapters would match the chapter numbers. This works well unless there is a long chapter (over 72 minutes) which must be split into two sections, because that messes up the match from then to the end of the project.

OR, I can delete the section 0, so it starts with
Section 1 - Introduction
Section 2 - Preface
Section 3 - Chapter 1.

MaryAnn
sari

Post by sari »

Hi! I'm Harr1's sister and I read the read the references.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Welcome Sari!

I have created a reader page for you. What name do you want to use in our catalog? Here is Harr's reader page - Here you can see what he did. https://librivox.org/reader/10131

For your catalog name, we can use Sari, we can use your full name (as Harr did), or we can do something else. Just tell me and I will make it happen! For now, I have used your forum name. Your page is here: https://librivox.org/reader/12133

MaryAnn
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Harr,

It's really your choice how to handle it.

I've had both a preface and an introduction on a solo, and I chose to read them both as one file (section 0) so the section numbers for the chapters would match the chapter numbers. This works well unless there is a long chapter (over 72 minutes) which must be split into two sections, because that messes up the match from then to the end of the project.

Let's do it this way! The intoruction is about 30 mins and preface is under 5 mins, so there's plenty of space. I'll upload the files in a moment, after I have combined the 2. Karpse said he can listen the files during christmas, his christmas holiday starts tomorrow, so I take care the files are uploaded by then.

I'll ask sari about the reader page.
Harr1

Post by Harr1 »

OK, the files are there. My brother (forum name: Karspe) will listen them during holidays. I told sari to come and tell her decision about cataloug name.

As you can see, I put the first two files in one one file. Other chapters Titles are Luku 1, Luku 2.. etc (luku = chapter, in Finnish). Titles of the chapters of the book are long, and more like chapter descriptions, rather than real titles, so I decided not to use them. For example: Chapter 4 has "Miksi Aleksanterin valloittama Dareioksen valtakunta ei hänen kuoltuaan noussut kapinaan hänen seuraajiansa vastaan", way too long to comfortably use them.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Everything looks great in the MW. I've added Karspe as DPL.
Harr1 wrote: way too long to comfortably use them.
You make me laugh! Yes, way to long for comfort!

MaryAnn
sari

Post by sari »

I want to use my forum name, sari, also as my catalog name.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great. :) Thanks for letting me know sari.
MaryAnn