[COMPLETE Group, children, SS] The Wonder Garden - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

The Wonder Garden by Frances Jenkins Olcott (1872 - 1963).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-wonder-garden-by-frances-jenkins-olcott/
"Here are 150 nature myths and short stories from all parts of the World. They are the kind that children delight in -- tales of transformations of maidens into trees and fountains, of youths into flowers, and of men into birds. Blossoms, fragrance, and joy are the themes of many of these tales, while a few a tender, pathetic, or humorous." (From the Foreword of the book.) ( Frances Jenkins Olcott)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/wondergardennatu00olco
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Fiction/Myths, Legends & Fairy Tales; Children's Fiction/Animals & Nature

Keywords that describe the book: nature, garden, transformations, retellings

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Wonder Garden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Wonder Garden, by Frances Jenkins Olcott. [Chapter title]." (Please read the first or, if the first title is in ALL CAPS, the two first titles in title column in the MW. For instance, for section 2, please read "THE WONDER GARDEN: The Garden of Delight" and then start reading the poem.) Do not hesitate to ask questions! :D

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [#]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Wonder Garden: Nature myths and tales from all the world over for story-telling and reading aloud, and for the children's own reading, by Frances Jenkins Olcott. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      wondergarden_###_olcott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. wondergarden_001_olcott_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags It is not necessary to fill in any ID3 tags (it happens automatically when the project is put in the catalog). If you'd still like to do it, please follow this template:
      (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
      Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
      Artist: Frances Jenkins Olcott
      Title: ## - [Section title]
      Album: The Wonder Garden

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kathrinee
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

This one sounds very interesting! Can't wait for the MW!!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

We're open for business :thumbs:
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Can I have sections 99, 100, 101, 102, 103?
Thanks!
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Absolutely! Thanks for starting us off :thumbs:
Kathrine
angibridges

Post by angibridges »

Awesome project! I would like to record sections 45, 52, 71, 72, 120, 124, and 128. One question-Do we read the name after the section if there is one, and the word in parenthesis (adapted, condensed)?

Thanks! Looking forward to working on this!

Angi
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Wonderful, thank you for claiming :thumbs: Yes, please read the information in parenthesis and (if this is relevant for your sections) the name of the author at the end of the poem/story. Let me know if you run into difficulties of any kind :)
Kathrine
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

Hi Kathrine!
Just want to clarify. My question is in regard to sections 99-103. So for the first chapter of the fire and gold section I say...

Section 99 of The Wonder Garden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

The Wonder Garden, by Frances Jenkins Olcott.

WITH FLASH O’ FIRE AND GLINT O’ GOLD: How the Cyclops made Aeneas’ Armour in Vulcan’s Forge"

Then do I read the poem and then read the title of the story: The Golden Gift of King Midas or do I say that along with the title of Vulcan’s Forge?

Then with the other stories do I just say:

Section 100 of The Wonder Garden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

Little White Rabbit…then read the story.

Thank you!!
Pat
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

pjcsaville wrote:Hi Kathrine!
Just want to clarify. My question is in regard to sections 99-103. So for the first chapter of the fire and gold section I say...

Section 99 of The Wonder Garden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

WITH FLASH O’ FIRE AND GLINT O’ GOLD: How the Cyclops made Aeneas’ Armour in Vulcan’s Forge"

Then do I read the poem and then read the title of the story: The Golden Gift of King Midas or do I say that along with the title of Vulcan’s Forge?
Thank you for asking! (I did have a feeling that I hadn't explained properly in the first post... :P)

Yes, please read your first suggestion

Then do I read the poem and then read the title of the story: The Golden Gift of King Midas
pjcsaville wrote:Then with the other stories do I just say:

Section 100 of The Wonder Garden. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"

Little White Rabbit…then read the story.
Yes, exactly :thumbs:
Kathrine
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello,
I would like to claim the following:

2,53,73,74,119,135,138 & 141

April
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

All yours! Thank you for claiming, April :9:
Kathrine
lynies

Post by lynies »

Hello!

I would like to record section 7 :) Thanks!

-Caitlin
"Not all those who wander are lost."
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Welcome to this project, Caitlin :clap:

Section 7 is all yours. What name would you like to have in the catalog? It can be your forum name, your real name, or something else :)

Also, please do a 1 minute test before you do this section, just to make sure your technical settings are all in order. (There is information in your welcome email or in the Librivox wiki (link at the very top of every page in the forum takes you to the wiki, and there you can search for instance "1 minute test"). Feel free to ask if you have questions!
Kathrine
Dbrstitch

Post by Dbrstitch »

Hi Kathrine.

For a quick break, could I claim section 108, The Garden of Frost Flowers?

Thanks. d
Debbie

"There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

Certainly, Debbie! Thank you for claiming :thumbs:
Kathrine