COMPLETE The Problems of Philosophy by Bertrand Russell - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:
mightyfelix wrote:Ok, chapter title is in now, and it sounds good to me. I'm willing to say this is PL ok, unless Jo says we need to be more strict in following the script, in which case I guess both chapters will need a repetition of the title of the work.

I agree it's not necessary in thus case to repeat the book title after the first chapter. :)
Ok, so the first chapter does need it, but none of the rest? Because I realized that the first chapter doesn't currently have that, either. Sorry I missed it the first time. This is my first time to DPL, so I appreciate your having patience with me.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

The first chapter should be exactly as it reads in the top post.
Jo
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, Landon. So, Chs. 2 and 3 are PL ok, but we have to backtrack to Ch. 1 and insert "The Problems of Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell" immediately before "Preface". Again, sorry I missed it the first time around, but I think we've got it straight now! :mrgreen:
dcelkind

Post by dcelkind »

Howdy folks,

Hooray! Even after 5 solo books, I seem to always screw up the intro at first.

Section 1 is ready for spot PL. Section 4 is ready for PL:
http://uploads.librivox.org/knotyouraveragejo/problemsofphilosophy_04_russell_128kb.mp3

Section 5 is also ready for PL:
http://uploads.librivox.org/knotyouraveragejo/problemsofphilosophy_05_russell_128kb.mp3

I will try to get the rest done before Friday this week. Thanks kindly!

Yours Truly,
Landon
"We can suggest no substitute for 'metaphysical'." The King's English, 'Malaprops'
https://www.landondcelkind.com
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 1 spot PL ok!

I have this whole afternoon and evening free, (Yay! Spare time, my favorite!) so I will have 4 and 5 PL'ed tonight at the latest.
dcelkind

Post by dcelkind »

Howdy folks,

You are awesome, mightyfelix! I appreciate the prompt turnaround.

Chapter 6 is ready for PL:
http://uploads.librivox.org/knotyouraveragejo/problemsofphilosophy_06_russell_128kb.mp3

Thanks kindly!

Yours Truly,
Landon
"We can suggest no substitute for 'metaphysical'." The King's English, 'Malaprops'
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 4 is PL ok.

Ch. 5 has two spots, at 1:08 and 7:35, where the volume suddenly drops much lower and returns to normal very quickly. It isn't really a huge deal, and still understandable, but it is somewhat jarring. Would it be possible to even those out?

Also, at around 20:45, there is a phrase missing: "'the most long-lived of men' is a description involving only universals, which must apply to some man." I haven't been following the text the whole time, but I happened to be following at this point, and the words "involving only universals" are missing. It sounds fine as is, and to me communicates the point just fine, but if you think it is important and want to include it, that is your call.
Last edited by mightyfelix on May 29th, 2017, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 6 has a repeated phrase at 0:55-0:58, "So far our answer has been..."

I will likely not be able to listen as promptly during the remainder of this week. I will be working quite a bit, and I'm not sure how much time I will have in between.
dcelkind

Post by dcelkind »

Howdy again,

No rush! Some more are ready for PL when you have time.

Yours Truly,
Landon
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hi Landon. Chapter 6 is PL ok. Chapter 5 is really up to you whether or not you want to worry about it. If not, you can go ahead and mark it PL ok.

I noticed, though, when I changed the status of chapter 6 in the MW, that some of the file names are garbled. I think that, currently, 5 is saved as 6, 6 is saved as 7, 7 is saved as 8, and 8 is saved as 5. (That's from memory, as I already closed that window.) Jo, should he rename and re-upload? Or I think I remember somebody saying that the MC can change file names when necessary?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, scratch what I said about file names. They were named correctly, they just somehow got moved around in the MW. I have fixed it, and it's all straight now.

EDIT: I think I'm actually the one who screwed that up, this morning. I was curious whether or not I could edit the MW from my mobile phone, because I had never tried it and wanted to mark Ch. 6 PL ok. I think I accidentally reordered section 5. But, like I said, I fixed it, and I won't be trying that again from my phone!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 7:

At about 4:30-5:00, there is a repeat of a longish section: "This principle is really involved..." through "...this principle is relevant."
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ch. 8:

There is a footnote in this chapter which was not read. I wouldn't have brought it up (and it's your decision whether or not to include footnotes), except that you did read the footnote in the previous chapter. Did you want to include this? If so, go ahead and I will spot PL it. If not, you can just mark this section PL ok. (The footnote would have been at about 9:40, on page 134.)
dcelkind

Post by dcelkind »

Howdy again,

Thanks for your prompt PLing! Chapter 9 is available for PL. I will try to get the rest up before 07:00 tomorrow.

I will restore Chapter 8's omitted footnote. I dunno why I missed that one. I will also fix the repeat in Chapter 7 and the omission in Chapter 5 (and smooth out Chapter 5 - I think I fixed that by adjusting my microphone's recording volume so it shouldn't happen again).

Yours Truly,
Landon
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds great. I most likely won't be able to PL anything until Sunday at least. Real life, ya know?