[COMPLETE] Short Science Fiction Collection 059-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 27th, 2017, 10:49 pm

Hi, Amy:

There are a lot of fairly long stories in this collection, so I thought I'd put in a short one.

Two Timer, By FREDRIC BROWN
Read by Dale Grothmann
Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29948/29948-h/29948-h.htm

Time 5:10
LV file
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_twotimer_brown_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
PS almost finished with this collection.

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 28th, 2017, 7:00 am

Hi Dale,
The collection is nearly finished. :)
This story needs two updates. At 2:08 "Notice, please" is missing. The file is too quiet. Please amplify it.
Cheers!
Amy

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 28th, 2017, 11:11 am

Hi, Amy:

Thank you for catching that. If I don't follow my list point by point, I leave out things.

Resubmitted number

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_twotimer_brown_dg_128kb.mp3

All the rest is the same. (except for two words)

Thanks
Dale

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 28th, 2017, 1:29 pm

Hi again.

I think I got all this right this time.

Whiskaboom, by Alan Arkin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/51132/51132-h/51132-h.htm

Time 10:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3


Thanks
Dale

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 29th, 2017, 5:28 am

Grothmann wrote:Hi, Amy:

Thank you for catching that. If I don't follow my list point by point, I leave out things.

Resubmitted number

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_twotimer_brown_dg_128kb.mp3

All the rest is the same. (except for two words)

Thanks
Dale
It is perfect now.
Thanks, Dale!

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 29th, 2017, 5:30 am

Grothmann wrote:Hi again.

I think I got all this right this time.

Whiskaboom, by Alan Arkin
Read by Dale Grothmann
Text at
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/51132/51132-h/51132-h.htm

Time 10:40
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3


Thanks
Dale
Hi Dale,
This one is delightful. Isn't it? I didn't know Alan Arkin was a writer, too.
It is very loud. The target is 89 db. I recommend using the compressor effect. It brings in the peaks so the recording generally falls into the right range without causing any clipping. Please give that a try and resend it.
Thanks for your story!
Amy :D

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 29th, 2017, 9:17 am

Hi:

I am not sure this is the same Alan Arkin, although it could be. I can not find anything to confirm or deny it. But I know he had a legendary sense of humor.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3

Dale

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 29th, 2017, 9:18 am

Hi again:

What does "file name" in the time column mean?

Dale

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 29th, 2017, 3:53 pm

Hi Dale,
It is just a reminder to me to change the file name before cataloging.
I think you may have uploaded the same file. It is still at 93 db.
Please send it again. As a rule of thumb, if the audio doesn't exceed the 0.5 and -0.5 range in Audacity, it should be okay. If it is touching 1 or -1 it is most likely too loud. Have you tried MP3 Gain or the checker? The checker can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36489
Amy

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 29th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Hi: I added a 2 to the file name so I know this is a different file. Sorry about that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom2_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3

Dale

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 29th, 2017, 10:16 pm

Hi Amy:

A new one.

Lost in the Future, by John Victor Peterson
Read by Dale Grothmann

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28645/28645-h/28645-h.htm

Time 6:16

LV file
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_lostinthefuture_peterson_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 30th, 2017, 5:24 am

Grothmann wrote:Hi: I added a 2 to the file name so I know this is a different file. Sorry about that.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom2_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3

Dale
Hi Dale,
This is still at too loud. If you Select All, then apply the compressor it will come down to 89 db. The settings on the compressor should be:
Threshold: -14 db
Noise Floor: -30 db
Ratio: 3:1
Attack Time: 0.2 seconds
Decay Time: 1.0 seconds
Uncheck the boxes.

Try it again. This should work.
Good luck,
Amy

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » June 30th, 2017, 5:25 am

Grothmann wrote:Hi Amy:

A new one.

Lost in the Future, by John Victor Peterson
Read by Dale Grothmann

Text at:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/28645/28645-h/28645-h.htm

Time 6:16

LV file
https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_lostinthefuture_peterson_dg_128kb.mp3

Thanks
Dale
Hi Dale,
I will PL soon.
Thanks!
Amy

Grothmann
Posts: 649
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Post by Grothmann » June 30th, 2017, 9:06 am

Okay, here goes:

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/ssf059_whiskaboom3_arkin_dg_128kb.mp3

according to your settings, but it seems really in the mud to me. (I don't use Audacity. I usually use Sony Sound forge, but I ran it through, and this is the result.)

Thanks
Dale

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 8403
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » July 1st, 2017, 5:19 am

Hi Dale,
I don't know what you did but it is at 90 now so that is good. Lost in the Future is PL OK. :thumbs:
Thanks!
Amy

Post Reply