COMPLETE [RELIG] "Seeing Darkly" by John Sparhawk Jones - ke

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Adobe Premiere Pro, the software I'm using is professional video editing software -- along the lines of final cut pro or even avid, and so there is a great deal available in terms of cleaning and noise processing. So let's absolutely throw this problem open to anybody in the community who can help! And I will take whatever help I can get and we will start the editing process over from scratch. I want this to be the best that it can be--such a good voice must not be unheard!! ?

We will need to get information soon, as in a little over a week I will be on vacation for a little over two weeks. And cannot put up anything new during that time...

I will hold off edits to the final two chapters until we can figure out how I can make those final two chapters appropriately noise free and then we will tackle the six chapters prior to those?

If all else fails, I can get audacity onto my computer and start the whole process from the beginning
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds good, Will. If you like, you can go ahead and make the edits to chapter 8 that I asked for, as it is the last chapter needing them, and then all you will have is noise cleaning in one fell swoop!

In other words (just to clarify), no need to start anything over "from scratch" or "from the beginning," just clean up the already-edited chapters you have! (Besides which, if you start re-editing "from the beginning," then I'll need to PL the whole book all over again!) :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I went ahead and posted for you in Help Wanted. Here is the thread: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=66276
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Thank you for doing that, Devorah--resistant to change dinosaur that I am, I'm willing to embrace Audacity if no Premiere help arises (and that right soon!) :)
"The man who does not read books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them." -Mark Twain
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

WillNuessle wrote:Thank you for doing that, Devorah--resistant to change dinosaur that I am, I'm willing to embrace Audacity if no Premiere help arises (and that right soon!) :)
You're welcome. I understand the aversion to change. Just thinking about learning a different program frightens me. But you could continue to do all your main edits in Adobe, and then just import the edited file into Audacity for noise cleaning. We can wait and see if that thread draws in any help. There is no hurry on my end. Enjoy your vacation. And congratulations on the new solo I see that you started! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed listening to this one!
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

?
I really am looking forward to the new solo – I get to affect a bit of a Texas accent...
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Even if someone comes through with adobe premiere suggestions, it still might be who've me to embrace audacity. My current process is: Record the audio into an HD camera. Capture camera footage to my computer. Upload into adobe premiere. Edit and export in adobe premiere. Move onto a flash drive. Upload from said flash drive on my laptop. (A six step process.)

If I can figure out this audacity stuff, then I could record onto the laptop, edit and export from the laptop, and then upload. Skipping three entire steps and not involving the professional camera or the professional computer! Which would probably be better for everybody…

I would lose the convenience of recording wherever I feel like as the camera is more portable than the laptop – but for Librivox I tend to read stuff off the laptop anyway so I don't know that I'm helping myself much!

The More You Know...
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

WillNuessle wrote:Even if someone comes through with adobe premiere suggestions, it still might be who've me to embrace audacity. My current process is: Record the audio into an HD camera. Capture camera footage to my computer. Upload into adobe premiere. Edit and export in adobe premiere. Move onto a flash drive. Upload from said flash drive on my laptop. (A six step process.)

If I can figure out this audacity stuff, then I could record onto the laptop, edit and export from the laptop, and then upload. Skipping three entire steps and not involving the professional camera or the professional computer! Which would probably be better for everybody…

I would lose the convenience of recording wherever I feel like as the camera is more portable than the laptop – but for Librivox I tend to read stuff off the laptop anyway so I don't know that I'm helping myself much!

The More You Know...
:shock: That's... quite a process! And while I understand that it's more convenient to record whenever and wherever you like, the quality may suffer in the process (See dog barks, above :wink: ) I do much (though not all) of my recording at night, because it tends to be a quieter environment. A couple of upsides to working in Audacity are that most everyone on the boards could give you pointers if you wanted them, plus there are a ton of resources in the LibriVox wiki, which is linked at the top of each forum page. Whatever you choose to do, I'll continue to look forward to future contributions from you!
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Record times are a bit limited to "when the baby is asleep"
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

Kathrine and Devorah--I've embraced change, had a quick "get to know you" session with Audacity, and have uploaded a third version of my 1:00 test, Now with Noise Cleaning by Audacity!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_willnuessleaudacious.mp3

I think I--I? WE just might have licked the audio noise cleaning problem. If you agree, then the only concerns I now have are "how do my db levels sound" (don't know how to ask Audacity how high the level is) and "how do I get Audacity to give me a 128kb option" (145-185 was as close as I could get?)

Thank you both for your patience with me--I plan to be here for a long time and want my contributions to be real good and stuff!!

Will the Ninja
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_willnuessleaudacious2.mp3

Aha! I might have answered BOTH of my previous questions with some Audacity Help meandering. Changed db level to -7 in Audacity and found the setting that let me choose "128kb" as my export level. So I think I just might have uploaded the most perfectest test of all time!

Or at least one that falls within the Librivox standards. Please one or both of you let me know--with a thumbs up from you wonderful folk, I will crossdeck the completed Seeing Darkly chapters and apply the Audacity magic!

"Happy days are here again..."
W
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, it sounds great!

As you're aware, the first test was a bit loud. But you overshot with the second one. I'd have used a value of -4 rather than -7. And the bit rate is not right for either of them. It's very easy to fix, though. When you go to File>Export, make sure that these settings are selected before you click Save:

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality: 128 kbps
Channel Mode: Joint Stereo

Look at you, stepping out of your comfort zone! :wink:
kathrinee

Post by kathrinee »

WillNuessle wrote:Kathrine and Devorah--I've embraced change, had a quick "get to know you" session with Audacity, and have uploaded a third version of my 1:00 test, Now with Noise Cleaning by Audacity!

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_willnuessleaudacious.mp3
Wow! Yes, this sounds great :thumbs:
Kathrine
WillNuessle

Post by WillNuessle »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/seeingdarkly_01_jones_128kb.mp3
TRT 29:54

Second verse, same as the first, except washed through Audacity's Noise Reduction so actually quite a bit better!
Also, Amplify -4
Bit Rate Constant
Quality 128kbps
Channel Joint Stereo (did NOT click the "force stereo to mono" box--should I have?)

If I'm in the gold with Chapter 1, will apply same settings and upload 2-8!

W
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

WillNuessle wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/kathrinee/seeingdarkly_01_jones_128kb.mp3
TRT 29:54

Second verse, same as the first, except washed through Audacity's Noise Reduction so actually quite a bit better!
Also, Amplify -4
Bit Rate Constant
Quality 128kbps
Channel Joint Stereo (did NOT click the "force stereo to mono" box--should I have?)

If I'm in the gold with Chapter 1, will apply same settings and upload 2-8!

W
It sounds lovely!

The volume on this was actually fine before. It's now a little low, 83.5. (Sorry!) So even though your recent test did need to be de-amplified a little, this one did not. If you don't have it already, I'd recommend Checker to check your volume on a case-by-case basis. It's really simple. Just drag and drop your mp3 file into the checker window, and it will tell you exactly what the volume is. I run every file through it before uploading. Other than that, you are golden!