9, 10, 11, 12

16, 17, 18

43, 44

61, 62

please
All yours!
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

What do I do for poems with no author listed? I've recorded 'by anonymous' and 'traditional', but don't know how to credit them in the short introduction.

??????
LenXZ1

Post by LenXZ1 »

Here is my first recording for this project: Section 49, "Wynken, Blynken and Nod."

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cambridgepoetry_49_grahame_128kb.mp3
Duration: 2:26

Len
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." - Cicero
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

RecordingPerson wrote:What do I do for poems with no author listed? I've recorded 'by anonymous' and 'traditional', but don't know how to credit them in the short introduction.

??????
There is no strict rule... so whatever seems best to you 8-) (Sometimes we are allowed to be grownups at Librivox :mrgreen: )
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

LenXZ1 wrote:Here is my first recording for this project: Section 49, "Wynken, Blynken and Nod."

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cambridgepoetry_49_grahame_128kb.mp3
Duration: 2:26

Len
Thank you.
LenXZ1

Post by LenXZ1 »

Here is my second recording, Section 50, "The Drummer-Boy and the Shepherdess":

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cambridgepoetry_50_grahame_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:20

Len
LenXZ1

Post by LenXZ1 »

Here is Section 51, "The Land of Dreams," by William Blake":

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cambridgepoetry_51_grahame_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:17

Len
LenXZ1

Post by LenXZ1 »

Here is Tennyson's famous lullaby, Section 52, "Sweet and Low." I sang the first stanza; the music was written by Sir Joseph Barnby (1838-1896), is definitely in the public domain and is very well known.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/cambridgepoetry_52_grahame_128kb.mp3
Duration: 1:54

Len
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Thank you for all, Len.
RecordingPerson

Post by RecordingPerson »

Lynnet wrote: rule... so whatever seems best to you 8-) (Sometimes we are allowed to be grownups at Librivox :mrgreen: )
Thanks. I'll stick with what I've done and posted already. Though, I did make sure I recorded some 'anonymous' and 'traditional' as extra recordings with the same mic and environment in case I needed to do some editing.

<navel gazing>
I've ended up doing a fair amount of editing on the above poems. In one case I said 'Elaine' as if it rhymed with 'spleen'. Fortunately the same poem had the word 'Elaine' three times, so I swapped in one of the others. I used a new (borrowed) microphone for these recordings, and I think it's done a good job. (Others are free to disagree :D ). I didn't apply any EQ to my voice for most of the poems, and apart from using a highpass filter to get rid of a hum of unknown origin, I didn't apply any noise reduction apart from editing out glottal clicks and a few desperate breaths. (I'm a swimmer and seem to be over-practiced at gasping in a whole lot of air all at once.) This is a nice microphone, however if I want one for myself it's £300 :(

For these eleven poems, I tried to vary my approach. In some cases I tried to be 'cute', and others are more straightforward. No matter how much 'interpretation' I try to put on the poems, they still sound too straightforward/'normal' when I listen to them.
</navel gazing>

EDIT: Oh dear, I just listened to my recordings again, and I can hear birds singing in the back garden. I shut the (double glazed) windows, but there's still a bit audible. I can also hear a bit of microphone handling noise at one point, but it's not too bad.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

RecordingPerson wrote:
EDIT: Oh dear, I just listened to my recordings again, and I can hear birds singing in the back garden. I shut the (double glazed) windows, but there's still a bit audible. I can also hear a bit of microphone handling noise at one point, but it's not too bad.
That's perfectly OK! A little background noise is fine as long as a) it doesn't drown out your voice and b) it isn't, say, a door banging, that will make someone jump out of their skin... and we also usually cut out coughs and sneezes :lol:
However, 'research shows...' (I don't know who did the research, but the word is...) listeners prefer the occasional traffic noise, dog barking (or bird singing). If we get rid of all those noises, the recording sounds too clinical and robotic.
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

May I have sections 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60?
Thank you!
Oh! How do you want me to work the footnotes in there? I know in books the footnote is read after the sentence, but it won't be smooth sounding in a poem. Should I say the footnotes at the end of the poem? Thanks