COMPLETE Peter Schlemihl by A von Chamisso -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

whenever a book has a translator, the system puts his birth and death years into the disclaimer, and i just saw that i forgot to edit this out of the first post. so if those are read for the introduction thats fine, but they can be omitted for future sections :) thank you, and sorry for that oversight!
Carolin
AlanMcLeod

Post by AlanMcLeod »

Hi!

I just realised there are footnotes! How do I record these? I could do them at the end either before or after the END OF CHAPTER 1

e.g.
END OF CHAPTER 1 - FOOTNOTES FOLLOW

or I could ignore them.

Advice welcome.
AlanMcLeod

Post by AlanMcLeod »

MihaiBorob wrote:Here is my modest attempt at Section 0 (Introduction):
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/peterschlemihl_00_chamisso_128kb.mp3 (09:26)
Great recording - love your tone and pronunciation.
MihaiBorob

Post by MihaiBorob »

A-ha! I thought the birth & death years of the translator might be distracting to the listener, especially read with every chapter.
So I skipped them for the Introduction and instead read some additional info from the title page:
"edited, with introduction and notes by William R. Alger".
thinking it useful for the reader embarking on the book.

We do need advice on reading the footnotes.
They often appear in the middle of a sentence and sometime seem useful. My suggestion:
- Read the sentence
- Say "footnote"
- Read the footnote
- Continue with the next sentence from the book
Should we say "end footnote"? For short footnotes, it might clutter the reading. For long ones, it would demarcate where the footnote ends: but I'm not sure being clear about the demarcation is important.

Thank you for the kind words Alan! I couldn't resist checking your 1-minute test (I often listen to the sound of other readers in projects I join). It sounded relaxed with the words clearly articulated.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

my apologies, i must have overlooked the footnotes. we have a standard procedure for those just as mihai says.

read the footnotes preferably at the end of the sentence in which it occurs. say "footnote: [text] end of footnote." and carry on :)

i will add this to the first post as well :)
Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Section 0 sounds perfect, and I think we can mark it PL ok, but I'm not sure about this:
MihaiBorob wrote:A-ha! I thought the birth & death years of the translator might be distracting to the listener, especially read with every chapter.
So I skipped them for the Introduction and instead read some additional info from the title page:
"edited, with introduction and notes by William R. Alger".
thinking it useful for the reader embarking on the book.
It sounds fine and is probably good information, but I've also been told that the disclaimer should be read exactly as it's stated in the first post. (And I haven't DPL'ed much before.) So, Carolin, I'll let you make the call on this one. If you don't mind having this information included for the introduction, then we can call it PL ok. Otherwise, we'll need Mihai to cut this extra sentence.

And, by the way, Mihai, I did definitely enjoy hearing this. Looking forward to your next submission!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I listened to the intro, and it sounds great. It is good to have the extra info about the introduction. So this can be marked pl ok :thumbs: thank you both!
Carolin
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Carolin wrote:I listened to the intro, and it sounds great. It is good to have the extra info about the introduction. So this can be marked pl ok :thumbs: thank you both!
Great! I have updated the MW to show PL ok. Thanks!
AlanMcLeod

Post by AlanMcLeod »

It's just my opinion but I feel that putting the footnotes after the sentence they are listed in will be very disruptive to those primarily interested in a good story, rather than an opinion from someone who was not the author.

I love stories like this but I must say that this would put me right off of a recording.
MihaiBorob

Post by MihaiBorob »

On a positive note, works often reflect the time when they were written, and of course the author's mindset. For the introduction and footnotes I've noticed:
  • revolting that the upper classes often have lower habits
  • almost protesting that so many worldly consequences flow from the appearance of things, and calling attention to the essence of things
  • putting an occasional unusual construct or word (e.g. adumbration) in the appearance of his own introduction :) Though most of it is written with surprisingly simple and direct sentences.
Perhaps reading the footnotes with a different tone of voice sounds more appealing? A matter-of-fact, let's-get-this-out-of-the-way-and-return-to-the-story tone of voice. And reading them at the appropriate point: end of sentence or end of paragraph, judging case by case how not to break the flow of the story. Some footnotes are several paragraphs long.

Of course, entirely up to you which books you would enjoy recording (and I guess "what to do with footnotes" is up to the book coordinator). I only wanted to share a suggestion and my own thoughts on the text :)
I am quite picky when choosing a section to record. If I'd choose something I don't like, I think it would show, even if managed to read through it: the listener could probably tell it was a chore.
AlanMcLeod

Post by AlanMcLeod »

MihaiBorob wrote: I only wanted to share a suggestion and my own thoughts on the text :)
I think your idea s a good one - the problem is that there are two types of readers in essence - those who read footnotes as they go along and those who don't. I'm definitely on of the latter (I usually go back and read them) but I do acknowledge that there are many people who do the latter.

I'll go with whatever is set as the project standard but I may not do extra chapters if the footnote are inline with the main text.

Either way I look forward to hearing your recordings on the final result :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

As Carolin said, LibriVox does have a standard procedure in place. The footnote is inserted at the end of the sentence in which it occurs, or maybe shortly after if there is a better break. Then the reader says, "Footnote," reads the text of the footnote, then, "End of footnote."

As you say, there are different reading styles and different listening styles, but it is likely impossible to suit everyone with a single recording, so we must pick one.

(Personal opinion starts here) The way I see it, waiting until the end would likely mean I'd have forgotten one or more of the details to which the footnote referred by the time I hear it, so I like having it closer to the relevant text.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all so much!

Im sorry that you found the footnotes difficult. It is up to the bc to decide whether the footnotes should be included in a recording or not, and for this book i thought they would be helpful to listeners. In other books, the decision might be taken differently.

Would you stil like to read the section or would you prefer not to? Thank you!
Carolin
MihaiBorob

Post by MihaiBorob »

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Chapter 2 PL ok!