COMPLETE [SS] Household Tales, by the Brothers Grimm - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I was looking at the other plays in the MW. Number 65, Allerleirauh, has a warning about a king being happily married to his own daughter. I was curious and read through it. Although it starts with a king wanting to marry his own daughter, she runs away and is eventually married to a different king ... so it's actually incest-free.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Oh really? I guess I was skim reading too quickly! I was mainly word counting, so thanks for picking that up! I'll fix the MW now!
CaptainFelix1368

Post by CaptainFelix1368 »

Hello Elizabby.
While I'm waiting for Cinderella to be PL'd to, I would like to do a few other ones within household tales:

201-Legend 1: St Joseph in the Forest
202-Leg 2: The 12 Apostles
203-Leg 3: The Rose
204-Leg 4: Poverty & the Humility of going to Heaven
205-Leg 5: God's Food
206-Leg 6: The Three Green Twigs
207-Leg 7: Our Lady's Little Glass
208-Leg 8: The Aged Mother
209-Leg 9: The Heavenly Wedding
210-Leg 10: The Hazel Branch

Now I know it looks like a lot for a newbie to take on, but they're only short stories (except for one) & I'm sure I'm able to finish these within the 2 months allocated. Let me know what you think as I'm itching to read! A classic today, tomorrow, the world! lol.

With thanks :thumbs:
Theo van Mierlo
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

LOL! Great to see enthusiasm! You are welcome to take all of these - I noted when doing the word counts they are all short! Actually you might prefer to do one of these before going back and tackling the editing for your longer piece - a lot of people cut their teeth on it that way!
pjcsaville

Post by pjcsaville »

I'll be sending in the last two stories tomorrow. I'll come back when I've finished with my other claimed readings to see if you need more help.
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Greetings. May I please be assigned:

167 The Peasant in Heaven
176 The Duration of Life

This is my first go at this work, so I'll start out slow!

--Kurt
Last edited by kwpapke on May 11th, 2017, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookisle

Post by bookisle »

May I have 72, 73, 74, & 75 ?
CaptainFelix1368

Great thinking. I think I'll do that. I'm pretty sure that Cinderella will either need to be edited or done again (its perfectly ok if I need to do it again, as l heard someone say that if you want to be old & wise first you have to be young & stupid. I lmao with that one but it does make a pinch of sense) By doing the other short ones it'll give me a bit of practice for longer short stories...like Cinderella.
Theo van Mierlo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CaptainFelix1368 wrote:Great thinking. I think I'll do that. I'm pretty sure that Cinderella will either need to be edited or done again (its perfectly ok if I need to do it again, as l heard someone say that if you want to be old & wise first you have to be young & stupid. I lmao with that one but it does make a pinch of sense) By doing the other short ones it'll give me a bit of practice for longer short stories...like Cinderella.
Hello Theo

first of all, sorry for getting back to you so late with feedback. As this is your first contribution, I’m sure you were eagerly expecting it.

I listened in on your recording, and before I can mark it PL ok, as you suspected, there are quite a few things which still need to be amended a bit.

I’ll give you a list of notes below, this is only a sample of the first 6 minutes of your recording, so you know what can be expected. As you will see, the errors are always the same thing, either a pause that is too long, or a stumble and repeat which should be cut out. Both are usually easily done if you use Audacity. Just highlight the part you want cut out and press delete.

With these sample corrections in mind, would you please re-listen to your entire recording and delete all the subsequent pauses and stumbles as well please ? While you are correct that a small margin of errors is acceptable, still these stumbles are a bit too frequent and disturb the flow of the reading quite a bit and therefore the listening experience will be impaired. And as Cinderella is among the all-time favourite tales and probably the one that people will flock to immediately, it would be preferable if that one especially was really good.

You were really quite daring to take on such a long one as a first trial. From my own experience, whatever text I read, it takes me twice as long to correct it. So as a suggestion, you could maybe start first with recording a smaller piece (maybe only about 150 words), and try your hand at editing that one, so you “learn the ropes” so to speak. Then at a later stage you could come back to Cinderella and you will see, correcting it will be much easier than it might be now. I see you have already claimed the legends at the end of the book, there are some small ones that would be good as starters.

So here is a list of the stumbles I would correct in the first 6 minutes:

> from 0:19-0:24: “Household Tales, by Jacob & Wilhelm Grimm” – long pause between Wilhelm and Grimm
> at 1:17: “two daughters” – stumble and repeat
> at 1:42: “pretty clothes” – repeat which can be cut out
> from 2:10-2:17: “Besides this, the sisters did her every imaginable injury” – here again, maybe cut out the longer silences in between, so it sounds more fluent. Also there’s an unneeded part “un-” which can be cut out
> from 2:34-2:36: “but they” should simply be “but” and again there’s a long pause to be cut out
> at 3:06: “said he” – repeat “said”, can be cut out
> at 3:43: “which they had wished for” – repeat “wished”
> at 3:48: “from the hazel-bush” – repeat “hazel”
> at 4:17: and if Cinderella” – repeat “Cinderella”
> at 4:23: “had wished for” – repeat “wished”
> at 5:21-5:23: longer pause
> at 5:46: “thou shalt go with us” – repeat “shalt”
> at 6:06-6:09: longer pause
> at 6:11: “came in by the kitchen window” – repeat “in”
> at 6:17: “and at last” – repeat “and”
> at 6:24: “among the ashes” – stumble and repeat “among”

> Another thing I noticed after 6:27: the text is deviating quite a bit, ranging from small things like “doves” instead of “pigeons” which is probably trivial, but also longer parts of sentences. Which makes me wonder, are you reading from the source text shown in the first post ? :hmm: While we need not 100% word perfect, it still should not deviate too much. We need to make sure the text is public domain, so we all need to read from the same source, which has been checked by our BC that it is public domain. So please, while you are doing a second listen to your recording, check with the correct source and maybe you need to re-record a sentence or two because the deviations are too big.

Then when all this is corrected, here’s a small technical detail still to consider, it concerns your file name:

> please always use the standardized file name to export your contributions. They are always mentioned in the very first post of the project, under point 8:
Save files as
128 kbps MP3
householdtales_###_grimm_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the THREE DIGIT section number
(e.g. householdtales_001_grimm_128kb.mp3)

so your name should have been: householdtales_021_grimm_128kb

when you re-upload, could you please change the name as well ? And as Beth wrote on the forum, our MC is “aradlaw” (also mentioned in the first post, under Point 8), so you need to scroll to that name before you upload

Don’t give up hope though, with a bit of practice and diligence, we’ll get there. If you have any further questions or problems with audacity, feel free to ask. :)

And most of all, have fun with your next recordings

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CaptainFelix1368 wrote:Hello Elizabby.
While I'm waiting for Cinderella to be PL'd to, I would like to do a few other ones within household tales:
201-Legend 1: St Joseph in the Forest
202-Leg 2: The 12 Apostles
203-Leg 3: The Rose
204-Leg 4: Poverty & the Humility of going to Heaven
205-Leg 5: God's Food
206-Leg 6: The Three Green Twigs
207-Leg 7: Our Lady's Little Glass
208-Leg 8: The Aged Mother
209-Leg 9: The Heavenly Wedding
210-Leg 10: The Hazel Branch
Now I know it looks like a lot for a newbie to take on, but they're only short stories (except for one) & I'm sure I'm able to finish these within the 2 months allocated. Let me know what you think as I'm itching to read! A classic today, tomorrow, the world! lol.
kwpapke wrote:Greetings. May I please be assigned:
167 The Peasant in Heaven
176 The Duration of Life
This is my first go at this work, so I'll start out slow!
--Kurt
bookisle wrote:May I have 72, 73, 74, & 75 ?
Thanks for all your claims, I will put your names in the MW straight away. Enjoy ! I’m looking forward to all those contributions. :9:

Sonia
CaptainFelix1368

Hello Elizabby!
Thanks for assigning the last 9 creepy tales to me...I'll get started with that really soon. (our clocks are different & I usually work best best early morning so I hope we wont be 2 ships passing in the night for too long) Ahh I'm a little confused with some of the rules...with story 21 it says look at rule 5 in the PL template. I did that but l'm still a bit unclear about what l need to do. Saying l'm a quick learner now wouldn't be the absolute truth as l'm almost 50 but with a quick explanation I'm sure l'll be back on the straight & narrow in no time.
With thx :thumbs:
Theo van Mierlo
CaptainFelix1368

Sorry Kitty...the last reply should of been to you. Bit tired thats all.
Theo van Mierlo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CaptainFelix1368 wrote:Ahh I'm a little confused with some of the rules...with story 21 it says look at rule 5 in the PL template. I did that but l'm still a bit unclear about what l need to do.
no sorry, I meant "look at the PL notes PAGE 5" (which is this page we are on right now, soon moving over to page 6).

If the thread is very long, it helps when I note down on what page my PL notes are, that's easier to find back then. I just changed the wording, so it's less ambiguous.

Don't worry about initial troubles. We were all new, and we are all better now than in the beginning. :) The important thing is, enjoying and persistence. Then you'll get there. And you are not alone, remember: there are no stupid questions (only stupid answers :mrgreen: )

Sonia
CaptainFelix1368

Hello Sonia.
With all the corrections that need to be done l think it would be better for me to start over or, since its one of the Grimm's best known ones, l think l should hand it over to someone else. The pauses, stumbles & different words that were said by me, not the text, its mostly caused by nervousness & stress. I think if l do it over, too many mistakes will continue to happen so starting smaller with less well known ones would be a wiser choice for me to take. Otherwise the amount of editing I'll be doing will become too frustrating for me. If you could be so kind & make Cinderella available again by removing the recording, I'll appreciate that. Don't worry, like I said, its just nerves & once I get used to doing the shorter stories & editing those so they're ready, l'll be able to move onto bigger & greater things. I'm not giving up. Public domain is a big place & I'm positive I'll find my niché there.
With thx :thumbs:
Theo van Mierlo
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

CaptainFelix1368 wrote:With all the corrections that need to be done l think it would be better for me to start over or, since its one of the Grimm's best known ones, l think l should hand it over to someone else.
of course you can always hand back a claim, it's as you wish. But don't just do it on account that you have to edit some things here. Because the editing process will always be a big part of any recording. I don't think there's anybody among our volunteers who does a flawless recording from beginning to end. At least not with a length of over 20 minutes.

I can give you an example of my own experience. The longest text I ever read, I was reading straight through for one hour and a half :shock: Then, while listening a second time to it, and editing out all my stumbles, errors, clicks, pet noises, sneezes or long pauses to drink a bit of water, I cut it down to 57 minutes end result. See what I mean ? That was over 30 minutes unusable "rubbish" that I was recording there. This is longer than your entire Cinderella section. (So you are not yet the worst recorder in history by a long shot :mrgreen: ) That's the reason I prefer to have smaller sections ;)
The pauses, stumbles & different words that were said by me, not the text, its mostly caused by nervousness & stress. I think if l do it over, too many mistakes will continue to happen so starting smaller with less well known ones would be a wiser choice for me to take.
well that is the beauty of Audacity of course. It doesn't matter if you have to repeat a sentence, you can easily cut it out later on. When you stumble, just take a deep breath and re-do the sentence. The stress will surely be less and less with each recording.
Otherwise the amount of editing I'll be doing will become too frustrating for me. Don't worry, like I said, its just nerves & once I get used to doing the shorter stories & editing those so they're ready, l'll be able to move onto bigger & greater things.
yes I understand, and I agree that it's wise to start with a smaller section. How about you do the smallest of your legends first, and I give it a thorough listen and give you feedback on that one ?
I'm not giving up. Public domain is a big place & I'm positive I'll find my niché there.
that's the spirit :thumbs:

Sonia