COMPLETE [SS] Household Tales, by the Brothers Grimm - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 29th, 2017, 12:50 am

oh I really like your voice, Jim :9: You have a quiet way of narrating that is really easy and agreeable to listen to. I enjoyed the entire 12 minutes and hope to hear more from you soon.

This can be marked PL ok.
For anyone interested, this one got a Jim Henson Storyteller episode: https://youtu.be/8uG5wl77ksQ
They're all so good!
oh I didn't know this series but I will check it out, I love Henson's puppets. But actually this story is not the 6 Swans, but the 3 Ravens ;) Although I agree the plot is quite similar. I think they merged the two fairy-tales into one. Probably to save on actors' fees (3 brothers cost less than 6 :mrgreen: )

Thanks for the link, will probably watch them all

Sonia

mlee

Post by mlee » June 29th, 2017, 9:30 am

Kitty wrote:
mlee wrote:Here is Story 121 Kings Son Feared Nothing 2,150 words
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_121_grimm_128kb.mp3 12:52:5
mlee
I didn't know this one yet, but there are similarities to another story: "The Story of the Youth Who Went Forth to Learn What Fear Was", which I knew already. I think I prefer the action in this version though. :9:

Flawlessly read and PL ok. Thanks ! You're making my job easy here.

Sonia

June 29 mlee

Here is story 126 Ferdinand the Faithful 2,000 words (The horse turns into a kings son - I think Ferd the Faithfl and I would rather have the wise, compassionate white talking horse)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_126_grimm_128kb.mp3 11:25

mlee

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 29th, 2017, 11:59 am

mlee wrote:Here is story 126 Ferdinand the Faithful 2,000 words (The horse turns into a kings son - I think Ferd the Faithfl and I would rather have the wise, compassionate white talking horse)
now what a weird ending :shock: Somehow it is unsatisfactory. It's not plausible that the Queen could kill the king without repercussions. And why is Ferdinand the Unfaithful so quickly written out of the story at the end ? And the horse turning into a King's son makes much more sense if Ferdinand had been a girl, who could then marry him. I think the Grimmies had a bit of a bad day when they wrote up this one ;)

Oh and I also would like to know what happened to the King's nose :mrgreen:

Still: no errors noticed in your reading, so I'll mark it PL ok.

Sonia

aniroo

Post by aniroo » June 29th, 2017, 3:27 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_031_grimm_128kb.mp3

Hi. I re recorded The Girl Without Hands and I had better luck editing the content, but the volume was up and down. So I sent the file through a program called the Levelator since I didn't know how else to modify the whole file for even volume. It sounds a hundred times better, but I'm not sure, now that I see the link, that the file is usable. It is an mp3 file.

aniroo
aniroo :wink:

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 29th, 2017, 3:32 pm

thank you for the file. mp3 is exactly what we need :) all our files are mp3.

I will PL tomorrow though, because it's past midnight here and I should go to bed now LOL

Just one question, you said: "I re recorded The Girl Without Hands and I had better luck editing the content". Does that mean this is an entirely new recording ? You did not simply edit the few lines I mentioned were wrong ? Because in that case, I need to re-check it all from the beginning.

It's ok, I can do it. But it would be better if you only spot corrected the faulty lines. Otherwise it's too much work, first for yourself and also for your DPLer ;)

Feedback tomorrow. :)

Sonia

Garremania

Post by Garremania » June 29th, 2017, 7:26 pm

I'd like to volunteer to read 171 "The Willow Wren" and 195 "The Grave-Mound"

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » June 29th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Welcome to the project! I'll sign you up for those two sections!

aniroo

Post by aniroo » June 29th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Kitty, I had to rerecord the story because I don't know how to edit very well. I couldn't figure out how to change the word hands to arms and some other stuff. When I rerecorded it, I did it differently and I think I caught all the errors and repeated them correctly and then edited them out. Sorry, Is there a good video for that kind of editing? All I've found are videos about reducing sound or adding music.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 30th, 2017, 12:36 am

Kitty, I had to rerecord the story because I don't know how to edit very well. I couldn't figure out how to change the word hands to arms and some other stuff. When I rerecorded it, I did it differently and I think I caught all the errors and repeated them correctly and then edited them out.
oh, it will be necessary to learn the ropes of editing though, for future recordings. Because already this section was 15 minutes long, imagine it would have been an even longer chapter. The time involved to re-record, re-edit and re-PL it all again, is a lot of unnecessary time, which could be economized if you simply edited the few sentences I pointed out. And the chances of making another mistake in the new recording are just as high, and you cannot go on re-recording the same story over and over again.

Editing takes a bit of practice and most of all: patience and fiddling. But it’s not that difficult in the end. In Audacity you can select (highlight) the faulty parts and cut them out, by pressing delete.

In your example with “arms and hands”, here’s what you would have to do:

1) listen to the faulty sentence you have to re-do and try to speak it aloud, to match the same tone and volume you had used before. This practice ensures your recording will not sound “off” in tone on the corrected spot.

2) open a new Audacity window and re-record the entire sentence where the faulty bit was in. I find it easier to record the entire sentence than just that one word, because the chances of making the sound more similar to the original, are higher.

3) noise-clean and amplify the new sentence

4) highlight the corrected sentence in the second Audacity window, press CTRL+C (to copy it)

5) go into the masterfile in the first Audacity window, highlight the faulty sentence, and press CTRL+V (to paste it in)

6) as a final check, listen to the sentence before and after the new pasted-in sentence and check if it sounds similar, and maybe adjust the volume a bit. I find I usually have to decrease the volume on the new sentence a bit, but that might only be my experience.

And that should be it. Save the file again, export it with the same file name and upload. Yes it sounds like a bit of work, but believe me, it’s less work to correct half a dozen errors than re-record from scratch. And you did not have that many errors to begin with. Most of them were simply cut-out jobs of repeated words, where you did not even have to re-record anything.
Sorry, Is there a good video for that kind of editing? All I've found are videos about reducing sound or adding music.
I think our instructional guide wizard Phil has a video about basically anything. :mrgreen:

Here are the ones you might want to check out:

AUDACITY: Basic Editing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg&feature=youtu.be
The basic editing tasks explained: noise reduction; cutting out mistakes; recording and pasting in new phrases; cutting spaces; compression; amplification.

AUDACITY: Cutting out mistakes and replacing words
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLdJsoGQc9c
Everyone needs to remove wrong stuff and replace it with the right stuff.

AUDACITY: Amplifying a File
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_z607awyLw
Making a recording louder using Audacity.

Gonna check you recording soon !

Sonia

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 30th, 2017, 2:21 am

all right I had another listen to your file Aniroo.

the good points:

> the background noise was extremely well cleaned, so there are no issues with that anymore
> also no textual errors or repeats, so you edited it together nicely
> the reading and acting out is entertaining like before

still there are some issues with this file as well:

> the volume is again above our limit of 86-92 dB. Yours is at 93.2 dB. Could you please reduce by -2 or -3 dB ?

> I must confess, I liked the sound in the first recording much more :( (so it would indeed have been better if you had edited that file ;) ) I think it happened because of clipping, because your file is too loud. You see that with red spikes in Audacity. These spikes get cut off and if that happens too often in a recording, the sound gets distorted. Your sound is fluctuating up and down constantly.

at 4:26-4:35 for example, you’ll hear a good example of what I mean by the fluctuations. It makes me a bit dizzy hearing the sound going up and down that way :(

Well there is two options now:

either: you can de-amplify this file and we accept it as such. The sound is probably ok enough to let it pass, although I personally would have preferred the first file

or: you try your hand at editing the first file, to get into the practice for future recordings. I think that's what I would do, because there were not that many errors and it would be good practice for your next file.

> noise-cleaning
> de-amplifying
> cutting out a few repeats
> a few simple edits, for example, this hands/arms edit, and I just tried to copy/paste this sentence from your new recording, and actually it sounded really good enough to use it in your old recording. So you would not even have to re-record the sentence again

Well, let me know which option you prefer :) And if there are further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Sonia

mlee

Post by mlee » June 30th, 2017, 9:36 am

Kitty wrote:
mlee wrote:Here is story 126 Ferdinand the Faithful 2,000 words (The horse turns into a kings son - I think Ferd the Faithfl and I would rather have the wise, compassionate white talking horse)
now what a weird ending :shock: Somehow it is unsatisfactory. It's not plausible that the Queen could kill the king without repercussions. And why is Ferdinand the Unfaithful so quickly written out of the story at the end ? And the horse turning into a King's son makes much more sense if Ferdinand had been a girl, who could then marry him. I think the Grimmies had a bit of a bad day when they wrote up this one ;)

Oh and I also would like to know what happened to the King's nose :mrgreen:

Still: no errors noticed in your reading, so I'll mark it PL ok.

Sonia

June 30
m lee

Here is Story 127 Iron Stove 2,200 words (at last the Gimmies redeem themselves with happy ever after - maybe even the toads with plenty of meat and drink)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_127_grimm_128kb.mp3 13:37:5

May I read Story:
088 Singing Springing Lark 2,350 words
111 Skillful Huntsman 2,400 words

mlee

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » June 30th, 2017, 12:11 pm

mlee wrote:Here is Story 127 Iron Stove 2,200 words (at last the Gimmies redeem themselves with happy ever after - maybe even the toads with plenty of meat and drink)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_127_grimm_128kb.mp3 13:37:5
it WAS a king's son in a stove !!! When I heard the story I remembered the details again. Especially the poem the toad is saying, I still recall it in German. I did not remember it was from that story though.

no errors, yet again. PL ok

Interesting that the false bride was pimping out her betrothed over some garments :mrgreen:
May I read Story:
088 Singing Springing Lark 2,350 words
111 Skillful Huntsman 2,400 words
you may ! Thanks I'll sign you up

Sonia

jmw1264

Post by jmw1264 » June 30th, 2017, 7:25 pm

Hello.

I'd like to claim and record story 136, Iron John.

You can list me as James Wahlberg.
My Librivox username is jmw1264.

Best,

jw

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby » June 30th, 2017, 9:39 pm

Hi James! Thanks for your interest, I can certainly hold that story for you!

However, before you record it, please record and upload a 1 minute test, to ensure your technical specifications are correct and that we will be able to use the file! The full instructions for the 1 min test are in your welcome email or the Wiki linked from the introductions forum. Please upload it to the Listeners forum (not here) and someone will check it for you.

Any questions post here!

aniroo

Post by aniroo » July 2nd, 2017, 6:52 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_031_grimm_128kb.mp3

This was posted on July 2, 2017. I took your advice and went back to the original recording and edited that one. I had to learn a few things about cutting and pasting first and get used to the sound of my own voice in a recording. I have never like listening to my self on a recording, but listening to it made me realize that I have a lot to learn about reading aloud.

Hope you can see the improvements and they are OK.

aniroo