COMPLETE [SS] Household Tales, by the Brothers Grimm - dl

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

aniroo wrote:Hi, my user name is aniroo and I would like to claim section 32, A Girl Without Hands for my first attempt at recording for LibriVox. I have submitted a 1 minute test. I haven't heard back from anyone about the test but I am anxious to get started. :D
Hello and welcome to LV :)

as I see you only have 1 post, you cannot have submitted the one minute test yet, or else you would at least have two posts. To submit the test it's not enough to upload it on the server, because nobody will know it's there or find it, if you don't post a message in the Listeners Wanted forum with the correct link leading to your upload.

And I would recommend waiting for the feedback before launching in the recording, so all your technical specs are up to LV standards. The story you chose as your first recording is quite a long one, so it would be a shame to have to scratch it all, because the technical things were not correct.

I will for the moment reserve you the section you chose, pending one-minute-test. To create your reader's page, I need to know which name you want to go by officially. Can be your real name or online name or anything else.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote:My mother tongue is Arabic. I have been studying English since I was four years old.
ah Arabic ! So now I know. Interesting. I really couldn't place it. Thanks

Sonia
mlee

Post by mlee »

Kitty wrote:
mlee wrote:Here is #2 of Story 97 The Water of Life with silence reduced from 9 to 5 seconds.

May I read
Story 82 Gambling Hansel 1,000
Story 91 The Gnome 1,85o
Story 95 Old Hildebrand 1,300

mlee
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_097_grimm_128kb.mp3 15:28
thank you, now it's PL ok and yes, I'll sign you up for those tales. :)

Sonia

June 17
mlee

here is story 82 Gambling Hansel (1,000 words)

https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_82_grimm_128kb.mp37:14:5

mlee
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote:ah Arabic ! So now I know. Interesting. I really couldn't place it. Thanks

Sonia
You are welcome. :D I skimmed through section 60 (The Two Brothers) and I found it interesting. So, I would like to give it a try.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote:You are welcome. :D I skimmed through section 60 (The Two Brothers) and I found it interesting. So, I would like to give it a try.
:thumbs: I'll sign you up. Have fun ! This is a huge story though :shock: good luck

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote::thumbs: I'll sign you up. Have fun ! This is a huge story though :shock: good luck

Sonia
I know. Any tips?
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

LynStanley wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_057_grimm_128kb.mp3.mp3
Hi I have posted #57 The Golden Bird. Please check if OK. :wink:
wow Lyn, I just spend a wonderful 1/4 hour listening to you narrate this beautiful story. :9: So well done for your first recording. I love your mellifluous voice and the cadence you put on the narration. Also, you are reading flawlessly and at an agreeable pace, which for me personally is very important. Nothing to object to. I can mark it PL ok and hope that you will be interesting in reading another story in this project soon :)

Only one thing I need to point out: you have the wrong file name: you don't have to include "mp3" at the end of the name, as it will automatically appear when it's converted into an mp3-file ;) Since you have nothing to edit in your recording though, no need to change it and reupload. I will simply make a note in the MW and our MC will correct it "behind the scenes" (they have that power :mrgreen: )

Thank you very much for this contribution. And have fun with all your future recordings :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SaraHale wrote:I know. Any tips?
hehe sorry, I'm not the right person to ask this, as I tend to "stay away" from such long chapters ;)

If you are not used to reading long chapters, I guess maybe it would be easier to do the recording in chunks, so that you don't tire out with a long recording. Although I would strongly recommend noise-cleaning and amplifying only once all the text is together on one file, because if you clean each "bit" separately you risk ending up with a different tone and level of background noise.

That's all I can say. From my personal experience, my longest ever recording was almost an hour long :shock: hopefully never again LOL But I know others on here are doing longer chapters on a regular basis. I wish I could do that, but can't. Well, there are always shorter chapters to record, luckily we are spoilt for choice here on LV. :9:

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mlee wrote:here is story 82 Gambling Hansel (1,000 words)
https://librivox.org/uploads/aradlaw/householdtales_82_grimm_128kb.mp37:14:5
mlee
woah ! what a ride LOL didn't know this story at all. I found it surprising but funny that for once the Lord seemed not to be on top of it all. ;) That's unusual for such tales.

No errors yet again, all funnily read. I love your dry sense of humour in some places :thumbs: I was expecting a smirk actually when Death climbed up that tree, but you seemed to have kept a straight face this time.

One one note: the file name is missing a 0 (zero) as we have over 100 tales, we need to include that. But since there are no other errors, no need to reupload, I'll make a note in the MW. It will be changed later on at cataloguing.

PL ok

Thanks

Sonia
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Kitty wrote:hehe sorry, I'm not the right person to ask this, as I tend to "stay away" from such long chapters ;)

If you are not used to reading long chapters, I guess maybe it would be easier to do the recording in chunks, so that you don't tire out with a long recording. Although I would strongly recommend noise-cleaning and amplifying only once all the text is together on one file, because if you clean each "bit" separately you risk ending up with a different tone and level of background noise.

That's all I can say. From my personal experience, my longest ever recording was almost an hour long :shock: hopefully never again LOL But I know others on here are doing longer chapters on a regular basis. I wish I could do that, but can't. Well, there are always shorter chapters to record, luckily we are spoilt for choice here on LV. :9:

Sonia
Thank you so much for the tips. I did some 30 minutes recordings before. I give you a lot of kudos :clap: for recording an hour long recording. I will try my best with this section. If I couldn't do it or it's too much for me I will tell you.
boatharbor

Post by boatharbor »

Kitty wrote:
all right, I found no errors in your story and it's nicely read again, unfortunately this time there is a big sound issue, which I did not notice in your previous recordings. Did you do anything different in your way of recording this time ?

There are many cracklings throughout your recording, which is kinda disturbing on the long run.

As an example, listen to 2:04-2:07, and also 8:17-8:18, there you hear it twice. Also if you check out the Audacity recording lines, if you magnify, you will "see" the rustling it always looks the same, once you spotted one, you'll see the others as well

at 7:23-7:24 especially you notice it's the letter 't' at the end of "heart" that makes the sound. This could be that you are sitting too close. And it seems to happen only with some letters.

Unfortunately it's always during your speech so it cannot simply be cut out. :( The important thing is to find out how it happened. I think you might either be sitting too close to the microphone and sort of "blowing" on it while you speak (probably with the more plosive sounds) or else you are moving or touching the microphone while you record. The mic will pick up every sound, not just your voice, so it's important not to fiddle around too much ;)

As the story is quite long to re-record and there are no errors in it, and despite the crackling, everything is still perfectly comprehensible, so I am going to mark it PL ok nevertheless, (unless you want to re-record it). Still, it would be good to find the problem and try to avoid it for your next recordings, so the listening experience might be enhanced.

Maybe try recording some few sentences, using lots of 't' and 'p' and 'th' words, and check your Audacity spikes while you record (in magnified view). As soon as you see the same "rustling" image pop up, try to remember what you just did, you might find out where the problem lies that way. If all else fails, it would be a good idea to post this file in the help subforum and ask our sound geniusses :) There's bound to be someone here who had the same problem already and might have the solution.

Sonia
Oh no!!! :(

I switched from my iphone headset to a combo Panasonic headset. The mic was probably too close. I didn't even notice. Thanks for being gracious. I'll mess with the mic and make sure it doesn't happen again.

My greater fear is the other section I recorded for a different project hasn't been OK'd yet... and it was 30 mins long (after editing). :shock:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

aniroo wrote:Hi, my user name is aniroo and I would like to claim section 32, A Girl Without Hands for my first attempt at recording for LibriVox. I have submitted a 1 minute test. I haven't heard back from anyone about the test but I am anxious to get started. :D
Hi aniroo, just a couple of tips:

1) You need to post in the Listener's Forum giving the URL of your test before you will get any feedback - otherwise no-one will know where it is to listen to it!

2) Please don't record for a project without getting your test OK first. In practically all cases some tweaking of settings is needed which means that the recording may not be able to be used, and the one you've chosen is quite a long one!

3) Your user name is not necessarily the name you use for your voice credit, which is read into the file. Your user name has to be unique on the site, but your voice credit or catalogue name can be anything you like! It can be aniroo or your real name or something else - you just can't change it once it is chosen because it is part of the audio file.

Welcome to the project! :thumbs:

EDIT: I see Sonia beat me to it and posted almost exactly the same comments just above! Ah well, at least we agree! ;)
Last edited by Elizabby on June 17th, 2017, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SaraHale wrote:
Kitty wrote::thumbs: I'll sign you up. Have fun ! This is a huge story though :shock: good luck

Sonia
I know. Any tips?
When I'm recording a long section, I actually try to record it all in one sitting, leaving the microphone running. I have a cup of tea at my elbow and if I need a sip I just take it, and then cut out the sound later. Keeping the mic going keeps the room sound constant in the silences.

If I don't know a word or say something wrong, I just say it again, or say it a few different ways and keep going - the wrong words can be deleted later, and the sound is more seamless that way. If I know there will be difficult words or names I look them up before starting. If it is difficult material I read it through before recording - I used to always do this, but not so much these days where I am mostly recording for my own projects so I know the text very well.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

boatharbor wrote: I switched from my iphone headset to a combo Panasonic headset. The mic was probably too close. I didn't even notice. Thanks for being gracious. I'll mess with the mic and make sure it doesn't happen again.
I used a Panasonic headset when I first started here too! You may find that you need to move the mic up or down, rather than have it directly in front of your mouth. The sounds that Sonia refers to are probably "pops" (fixed by having a pop filter) or by making sure only the sound (and not your breath) hits the mic on the "plosive" sounds (t, k, p, ch, th, b, etc).
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Elizabby wrote:
SaraHale wrote:

Sonia
I know. Any tips?
When I'm recording a long section, I actually try to record it all in one sitting, leaving the microphone running. I have a cup of tea at my elbow and if I need a sip I just take it, and then cut out the sound later. Keeping the mic going keeps the room sound constant in the silences.

If I don't know a word or say something wrong, I just say it again, or say it a few different ways and keep going - the wrong words can be deleted later, and the sound is more seamless that way. If I know there will be difficult words or names I look them up before starting. If it is difficult material I read it through before recording - I used to always do this, but not so much these days where I am mostly recording for my own projects so I know the text very well.
Thank you so much, Beth. :thumbs: