(COMPLETE) A Lover's Diary, by Gilbert Parker - philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

02 and 25 are PL OK.

Thanks, Bill. These are both very nice additions to this collection, and to think, they are only your 2nd and 3rd recordings on Librivox. :thumbs:

I have marked your files PL OK in the Magic Window. And now if you will go Search The Catalog (top menu) and look yourself up by either your username or real name, toggle between Readers Section Details and Readers Page, you will see all the projects you have ever been involved with, and what ongoing projects you have signed up for to date, and their status (claimed, PL OK, etc.). It's a good way to keep track of LV accomplishments and commitments in one place. :D
elizabeth210

Post by elizabeth210 »

Michele,
Sections 72-80 are all PL OK ! Wonderful readings ! :lol:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Elizabeth. 3 to go and hope you'll be there. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I would like to do #12, #13, #14 and #15.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:I would like to do #12, #13, #14 and #15.
Thanks, Bill. I've reserved these for you.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes for Sections 12-15
All very nicely interpreted, Bill! You have a good voice. Just a few technical items on each poem that require your attention:

Volume: All 4 files have a very high volume around 96, as shown below, followed by my recommendations for reducing amplification to within LV's median volume range of around 89:
12 95.7 -6
13 96.1 -6.5
14 96.5 -7
15 96.1 -6.5

Intros: To conform to the First Post, please remove the second mention of the poem number from the Intro and just let the title stand alone: "Repeat Title. Read the poem."

Outros: Shorten the ending silences on each file to 5 seconds.

When these edits have been made, please re-load the files and post notice here of file name and new file length.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Sorry about the too-high volume, Ms. Fry.
I bumped up the recording volume because my earlier recordings were too soft.
Tell me how I can find out what the resulting volume is on a recording and I'll adjust to the 89-level before sending a recording on.
Will modify and re-upload today.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

williamjones wrote:Sorry about the too-high volume, Ms. Fry.
I bumped up the recording volume because my earlier recordings were too soft.
Tell me how I can find out what the resulting volume is on a recording and I'll adjust to the 89-level before sending a recording on.
Will modify and re-upload today.
Couple of ways. In Audacity, select your audio (some portion or the whole file). Go to either Effects or Analyze menu to find Replay Gain. Set it to Analyze/0.00/Preview and it will tell you how much to raise or lower your selection to hit 89db. Once saved, drag your mp3 file onto the Checker platform and it will give you several bits of information, including overall volume. Download Checker from here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I have re-uploaded the Parker sonnets 12-15 with your indicated modifications performed.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_12_parker_128kb.mp3 1.06 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_13_parker_128kb.mp3 1.14 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_14_parker_128kb.mp3 1.19 KB
https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/loversdiary_15_parker_128kb.mp3 1.18 KB

For future reference in handling newbies like me:
(1) the existence of the Checker program should be stated loud and clear.
(2) the existence of the MP3gain program should mentioned in the same breath because that is the instrument for adjusting the gain/loudness.
(3) MP3gain installation program should be downloaded from the MP3gain website and the FULL installation chosen. The program is so old, that correspondingly aged auxiliary software needs to be loaded.

I optimistically think these are the final versions; but, I stand ready to make further corrections.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

12 thru 15 are PL OK. Good job! :clap:
I especially liked these poems: In Armour and In Thee My Art
williamjones wrote: For future reference in handling newbies like me:
(1) the existence of the Checker program should be stated loud and clear.
(2) the existence of the MP3gain program should mentioned in the same breath because that is the instrument for adjusting the gain/loudness.
(3) MP3gain installation program should be downloaded from the MP3gain website and the FULL installation chosen. The program is so old, that correspondingly aged auxiliary software needs to be loaded.
I don't know where the information regarding Checker is formally introduced except that it is in the Wiki, and I think newbies are guided to study the wikis at some point. I find it amazing that all those wiki tips are put there by other volunteers, as we try and help each other figure things out.

For example, I know nothing about any MP3gain program. Don't use it myself. I just save my .aup files as mp3's, and there they are. I am curious where you found it and how you use it?
Alphanumeric

Post by Alphanumeric »

Hi,

I can claim sections
57 57. The Decree
58 58. 'Tis Morning Now
59 59. Sacrifice
60 60. Shine On

Thanks.

Paul B.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Alphanumeric wrote:Hi,

I can claim sections
57 57. The Decree
58 58. 'Tis Morning Now
59 59. Sacrifice
60 60. Shine On

Thanks.

Paul B.
Hi Paul. Welcome to Librivox. I have reviewed your 1 minute test and made comments in that thread. As far as I am concerned you are good to go, so please enjoy these sections, and please let me know if you have any questions. Mostly, just read the First Post carefully and follow the instructions there for your Intro and Outro, which must be correct, as well as your technical specs (mono, 128 kbps, volume range, correct file name, etc). The interpretation of the poem is all up to you!

Please let me know how you want your name to show up in the catalog and on our covers, either your Real Name or your username. Once this is chosen I don't think it can be changed. For example, I use Michele Fry for what shows up in our catalogued projects, and msfry in the forum. Once I get that info, I can add you to the Magic Window and I believe Phil, our MC, can set up your Project Page.
msfry

Post by msfry »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Alphanumeric, I see someone has already set up your username, so I was able to enter your choices in the MW. You're good to go.