[SOLO] The Nursery "Alice" by Lewis Carroll - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

iBeScotty wrote:Went ahead and uploaded the rest of the chapters for a PL at your leisure, Jordan. I just had to find out if Alice retained her head . . . spoilers!
All PL OK!

It's time for more riffing!
Do you see that Fox-Glove growing close to the tree ? And do you know why it's called a Fox-Glove ? Perhaps you think it's got something to do with a Fox? No indeed! Foxes never wear Gloves!

The right word is "Folk's-Gloves." Did you ever hear that Fairies used to be called "the good Folk"?
I has to look this up, and while it is a proposed etymology, it's probably not right.
That’s the March Hare, with the long ears, and straws mixed up with his hair.
Oh... I though it was the guy wearing the hat...
So I suppose his plate and the milk-jug are hidden behind that large tea-pot.
Well, that's one way to resolve the plot hole from the original story of the missing milk jug. (The Annotated Alice actually points this out, saying "Both Carroll and Tenniel apparently forgot that a milk jug was also on the table" as an annotation for the line "Alice looked all around the table, but there was nothing on it but tea.")

Actually, while I was looking through The Annotated Alice again, I noticed it highlights this book's 'Fox-Glove' etymology, and also points out it's probably not true. And in the same annotation, while it's on the subject of The Nursery "Alice", it mentions that it points out the Cheshire Cat has green eyes (back in Chapter 8), something not mentioned in the original.

And now I'm at the end of Chapter 10, and there was no "Why is a raven like a writing desk?"! Man, I (and by 'I', I mean The Annotated Alice) had loads I could have said about that!
You see Alice had managed at last to get quite small, so that she could go through the little door.
No, don't bother explaining Alice went into a door in one of the trees and found herself back in the hall with the table and that tiny door, just teleport here there...
Now ca'n't you guess what the poor little gardeners are trying to do?
What, the gardeners who planted a white rose-tree instead of a red one, and have red paint? Sorry, no idea. (I swear Lewis thinks young children are complete idiots...)
You see there were fire large white roses on the tree
Um... there are clearly six...
The Queen has come! And isn't she angry?
And now, an excerpt from The Annotated Alice:
In Tenniel's illustration for this scene, in The Nursery "Alice," the Queen's face is a bright red. Clare Imholtz notes, "Carroll did stress in The Nursery 'Alice' how angry she looks, but he rejected the printing of 10,000 copies because her face was too red. In a letter to Macmillan, June 23, 1889, he says 'It is a great disappointment to me to have to postpone, till Xmas, the publication of "Nursery Alice," but is absolutely necessary. The pictures are far too bright and gaudy, and vulgarise the whole thing. None must be sold in England: to do so would be to sacrifice whatever reputation I now have for giving the public the best I can. Mr. Evans must begin again, & print 10,000 with Tenniel's coloured pictures before him: and I must see all the proofs this time: and then we shall have a book really fit to offer to the public.... The picture at p. 44 [the Queen pointing at Alice] is enough by itself, to spoil the whole book!'"
Mr. Tenniel says [...]
Can't say I've seen many books that explicitly mention the artist of the illustrations...
And I think you'll never guess what happened next.
Well, we wouldn't, if you hadn't spoiled the ending earlier.

And so, that's it! I think this is fastest project I've been a part of...

I guess it's over to David now to do his MC magic, and get this finished up.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

:thumbs: Thanks so much for the super speedy PL! I would have loved to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland of course (had a blast contributing a chapter somewhere) but no need for yet another version.
Scotty
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

starting the catalog process.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Scotty & Jordan,

Thank you for sharing your time and talents!!

This one is in the Librivox Catalog: https://librivox.org/the-nursery-alice-by-lewis-carroll/

David O
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

Hi Scotty,

You may not even see this message, but I thought you might like to know that when I signed up for this, I posted a comment in the PGDP forums that this book should be on Project Gutenberg, which quickly got agreed with by a moderator.

So, thanks to me (and by that, I mean I said it should be, and then a lot of other people actually did the work...) now it's there!
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.