COMPLETE: Phenomenology of Mind Vol 1 by Hegel; Tr Baillie -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Foon wrote: June 29th, 2018, 7:48 am Hi Jo,

I have a question.. I was looking through the sections and the numbering is kind of confusing. Chapter are numbered (1 2 3 ...), with sections (A B C ...), and subsections (a b c ...).
The original reader named the subsections alpha and beta as he came across them (even though they're not actually greek letters). The original reader didn't have any "c" subsections. For consistency, those should probably be named "gamma". However, it'd feel a bit odd to replace a "c" with "gamma"

Should I call my subsections as they are in the book (a b c), or as the first reader has done for consistency (alpha beta gamma)?
It's up to you, but I would go with a, b, c. Always best (and LV policy)to read exactly what is in the text. I suppose there is nothing we can do about the existing recordings. Does he actually say alpha, beta and gamma or is it just that way in the MW?
Another question I had was whether it would be at all allowed to chance the chapter titles in the MW for sections that have already been done. Chapters, sections, and subsections all have their own titles in the book. However, the original reader hasn't included them in the MW, and to be honest, I find titles such as "Chapter 5a alpha 2 part 1" very confusing. I'd rather use titles as I have put them in the MW now for my sections, but it's hardly consistent with what was done before.
Please do what you want with the titles in the MW. I completely agree that your way is much more informative!
I'm sorry to bother you with these things--it's just that I feel it largely comes down to what is Librivox policy, and while I'm getting the hang of recording, I'm rather at a loss with these things!
No bother! Among other things, these type of questions are exactly what I am here to help you with! :)
Jo
Foon

Post by Foon »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: June 29th, 2018, 11:18 am
Foon wrote: June 29th, 2018, 7:48 am Hi Jo,

I have a question.. I was looking through the sections and the numbering is kind of confusing. Chapter are numbered (1 2 3 ...), with sections (A B C ...), and subsections (a b c ...).
The original reader named the subsections alpha and beta as he came across them (even though they're not actually greek letters). The original reader didn't have any "c" subsections. For consistency, those should probably be named "gamma". However, it'd feel a bit odd to replace a "c" with "gamma"

Should I call my subsections as they are in the book (a b c), or as the first reader has done for consistency (alpha beta gamma)?
It's up to you, but I would go with a, b, c. Always best (and LV policy)to read exactly what is in the text. I suppose there is nothing we can do about the existing recordings. Does he actually say alpha, beta and gamma or is it just that way in the MW?
He also says alpha/beta in the recordings, as in the MW. So I guess it would be best to leave those as they are.
Would it be alright if I added the chapter titles in the MW for the existing sections of the previous reader, so the section titles would be more straightforward for future listeners?
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Yes that's fine.
Jo
Foon

Post by Foon »

I didn't quite realise exactly how different a philosophy reading would be from fiction, haha! It's fun to do.

My first section is uploaded and in the MW.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/phenomenologyofmind1_17_hegel_128kb.mp3
28:01
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Also, since this is my first time recording such a serious work, any CC would be appreciated! :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 18 is ready for PL:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/phenomenologyofmind1_18_hegel_128kb.mp3
Duration: 42:30

I think I've got my longest section (by far!) done now :D

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 20 - 22 are uploaded and ready for PL! :)

I saw around the forum that you were busy with RL stuff--which of course happens to all of us. If you'd like to step away from PLing my half of this project, that wouldn't be a problem at all. Just sayin'.
(And by that I don't mean that there is a rush, because frankly, there isn't!)

Readers needed:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Um, you've been busy - just a different busy than me! It's all good, and I'll get these listened to!
Foon

Post by Foon »

Awesome, thanks Kristin!

And yeaaahh I found myself having some extra time, and I'm actually really enjoying this read, so I steamrolled through some sections there... :lol:

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 23 is uploaded (short one), and section 24 will hopefully also come later today (loooooong one)!

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 24 is up as well (as it turns out, section 18 wasn't my longest section after all... :lol: )

Readers needed:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Section 17 is PL OK!
Foon

Post by Foon »

MrsHand wrote: July 23rd, 2018, 6:04 pm Section 17 is PL OK!
Thanks Kristin!

Readers needed:
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Sections 18-21 are PL OK!