[COMPLETE] Mystery of the Ravenspurs by Fred M. White-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Oh you did not know I was from Luxembourg ? Well I am and yes, we are brought up multi-lingual here, so it helps in getting into lots of languages.

Chapter 43 is PL ok again. Tchigorsky never considered that the old Ravenspur might have had a heart-attack from the shock maybe. He could have created a lot more distress with his plot to let Geoffrey pass fro dead. Also all these people looking for him on the sea, they wouldn't be happy to find out they put their lives and time in danger to search for somebody who is already safe.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Chapter 44 has been posted.
Thanks!! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and Chapter 44 is PL ok :)

So these acids are producing the fumes that make everybody dizzy and suffocating in their sleep. What are they trying to do now ? Nowadays they would sent the fumes through the air-conditioning LOL but that's not how it worked back then.

The author has got his cliffhangers well sorted out... people want to keep on reading.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

You guessed it, chapter 45 has been posted.
Enjoy! Thanks. :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

sorry for being so late this time, but today has been kinda hectic. I look forward to a calmer evening now. Starting with an action-packed chapter from the Ravenspurs 8-)

I think since Ralph has appeared, Mrs May has not won a single encounter. Whereas before, she had such an easy game with killing off all those family members. Must be frustrating....

There is one logical error in this chapter...they say the wires can be pulled back and no evidence will be seen. But the people in the house must notice the wires the day before, when they enter in their rooms or walk about the house. :hmm: They can't be invisibly thin if they are that powerful.

Anyway...your reading was flawless :thumbs: PL ok

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Not late at all, no need to apologize.

Chapter 46 has now been posted, ready for a listen at your convenience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay another chapter. What a great start into my weekend :)

Geoffrey is integrated into the family again, what a relief. Now I am curious how Mrs May will extricate herself from this delicate situation.

I found two small errors this time:

> at 4:00: "Geoffrey!" she screamed - I only hear "creamed", you seem to have cut out an 's' by mistake :hmm:

> at 8:17: "What she was doing here I haven't the slightest idea." - you say "doing there". It might be trivial and not necessary to change, but to my understanding this would mean "what she was doing in the Blue Room", whereas Ralph meant "what she was doing in the castle", so I think "here" is a touch more fitting (or am I too grammar sensitive ?)

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

'Creamed'???? :mrgreen:

Good catches both Sonia, thank you. Each has been repaired, and 46 has been re-uploaded.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:'Creamed'???? :mrgreen:
yes, well, I thought maybe it was a Freudian slip :mrgreen: Or perhaps your subconscious wanted to top the cucumbers LOL

Both errors perfectly corrected and PL ok now.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

I don't know what the fixture is about food (cucumbers and cream??), but hopefully there won't be any more, unless, of course, the text calls for it. :lol:

Meanwhile, chapter 47 is now posted.
Many thanks! :)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:I don't know what the fixture is about food (cucumbers and cream??)
maybe you are recording while you are hungry ? :hmm: :mrgreen:

Chapter 47 is again excellently read. I found however, a textual error here. Not your fault this time, as you read what was written, but I am quite confident that it was an error in the Gutenberg transcription:

> at 4:52: "But was it an accident?" Geoffrey asked."Something mysterious, like everything that occurs to us," his wife replied.

I am sure this should have been "Gordon asked", since Gordon has a wife and Geoffrey doesn't. I tried to find the original scan online to check against the source, unfortunately I couldn't find it on archive. But I found the same text on the Gutenberg Australia site and there they indeed have "Gordon", which reinforces my belief that Gutenberg America has it wrongly transcribed.

Here is the link, so you can see for yourself: http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks11/1100701h.html

I think in this case, since it's an obvious textual error from the transcript, we can safely change the names, as it makes more sense then. What do you think ?

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

Your attention to detail is remarkable! :shock:
What a catch. I didn't pick up on it at all, although of course I knew Geoffrey didn't have a wife.
And you even took it to another level by researching other sources of the text! Amazing.

Chapter 47 has been patched to replace Geoffrey's name with the true speaker in this case.
Well done! :clap: Thank you!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Roger wrote:Your attention to detail is remarkable! :shock:
What a catch. I didn't pick up on it at all, although of course I knew Geoffrey didn't have a wife.
well, while I listened to it, this sentence gave me pause, so I went back and listened to it again, to find out what disturbed me. It must have been my subconscious triggering the alert, that something was not right there.
And you even took it to another level by researching other sources of the text! Amazing.
yes, well, we have to check up on the source, since we are not supposed to change what the author wrote. So I wanted to have some backup for my theory before I wrote my notes ;)
Chapter 47 has been patched to replace Geoffrey's name with the true speaker in this case.
and it's Spot PL ok now :) I am actually really happy when I find some things like these. It makes my DPLing really worthwhile. I feel, in this case, I was needed, which is a good feeling.

Sonia
Roger

Post by Roger »

A bit more from the past, while we await further action.

Chapter 48 has been posted.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I find this walk through the Black Valley an extremely interesting concept, one I would have liked to see in a movie.

Tchigorsky's cliffhangers are sooo annoying LOL I wanted to hear how it ended. Now I need to wait for another 10 chapters probably before his memoirs continue. :evil:

This chapter is PL ok again.

Sonia