COMPLETE World's Best Poetry, Vol. 1 (Part I)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

The World's Best Poetry, Volume 1: Home and Friendship (Part 1) by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/the-worlds-best-poetry-volume-1-part-1/
The first of ten volumes of poetry edited by Canadian poet laureate Bliss Carman (1861-1929). This collection, the first of two parts, includes a trove of poetry about home and family life, focusing especially on verses about children, verses for children, and fun for little folk. It also includes a general introduction to the series by Carman himself, as well as an introductory essay to the volume by University of Chicago English professor William Darnall MacClintock (1858-1936). ( Tomas Peter)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_SPA-AAAAYAAJ
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "[Poem] by [author], from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 1: Home and Friendship, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

If the poem has been translated from another language, say:
    • "[Poem title] by [original author], translated from the [original language] by [translator]; from The World's Best Poetry, Volume 1: Home and Friendship, Part I. Read for LibriVox.org by [your name]" or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish. Then repeat the poem's title.

END of recording
    • At the end of a poem, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition): "End of The World's Best Poetry, Volume 1: Home and Friendship, Part I."

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording

Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_###_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_001_various_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

you've been quick, Tomas. Let the fun begin :9: (just posting to put this on my mailing list right away)

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Whoever MCs this: please attach Anthony (afutterer) as the DPL and give Sonia (Kitty) joint-access.

Our official lineup will carry over from Love, Part II, so welcome back myself ( :lol: ), Sonia, Anusha Iyer, Craig Franklin, Leanne Yau and Jason in Panama!

The MW isn't up yet, but once it is, we can begin claiming our sections.

For solos
We have 93 solo poems this time, so unfortunately the distribution will not be as even as before. 3 readers will be able to claim 16, and the rest only 15. I suggest that if you foresee a busy schedule ahead to limit yourself to 15, so that those who will have more time on their hands can do 16.

The claiming format this time will involve everyone submitting a wishlist of 15/16 poems, and maybe a list of poems that you want to avoid at all costs. The wishlist option is not mandatory, and you can opt to be assigned to the leftovers if you have no preferences. However, I need to know how everyone wishes to proceed.

If there is overlap between wishlists, and 2 or more people are interested in the same poem, we can diplomatically settle the problem... right? :lol: Anyway, once everyone's selections are finalized, I'll enter them in the MW and we can start recording.

For DRs
We have 44 DRs with 139 speaking roles, so 5 of us will sign up for 23 roles, while one lucky person will do 24. I will post the DR sign-up document soon, which will be used to claim these roles. This process is more first come, first served than the solos, so don't sleep on this too long. :wink: 5 of the DRs are compulsory, however, including the two introductory essays (and I'll note what is compulsory in the document).
Tomas Peter
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Tomas,

Happy to MC this volume for you as well.

MaryAnn
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, MaryAnn! :)

Alright, folks. The MW is complete and DR scripts are all linked. Everything that does not have a Google Doc attached is a solo and allowable for wishlists. To claim DRs, please use this sign-up document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17uHkbmKj4DkGMhqjIXeb7CaYDYXrqOfpTz7fiLJW7ys/edit?usp=sharing

Have fun with the claiming process... and don't shed too much blood over it. :lol:
Tomas Peter
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

In the first section i would like to read the blue section that starts "to my mind the pre-eminence..."

I just want to say pre-eminence.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

jasonb wrote:In the first section i would like to read the blue section that starts "to my mind the pre-eminence..."

I just want to say pre-eminence.
:lol: it's as good a reason as any ;)

I'll make my wishlists ready and claim a few DRs already, but give the others a chance to have a look as well. I only claimed 6 roles so far for myself, including parts in the intros. I will be flexible if somebody absolutely needs to read a part I have claimed before, though.

Looking forward to this

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Tomas, in the MW you made two sections out of the "More Limericks" section, which in the book were 3 limericks wrapped together under one title.

135 There Was a Small Boy of Quebec by Rudyard Kipling
136 There Was a Young Lady of Niger by Anonymous

I suppose you did that because the first is made by Kipling and the other two by Anonymous. :hmm: In Section 136 there should be 2 limericks then, though.

And with that we have 94 Solo poems, that means: 4 readers can choose 16 poems and 2 only 15. Unless you wrap the sections together again to reflect the book's choice of division.

Also, maybe we don't need a Section 0, since we have two intro essays anyway. :hmm:

Sonia
Last edited by Kitty on March 26th, 2017, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ok this was really really difficult to make a wishlist of 16 poems for this project. Here is my list now, of poems I would like to read, BUT: there are plenty more which are also good, and we can always negotiate (with some / I make those bold which are really my first choice) if others want mine. I just had to come up with a choice, so here they are:

7. Étude Réaliste by Algernon Charles Swinburne (1837–1909)
13. Cradle Song: From 'Bitter-Sweet' by Josiah Gilbert Holland (1819–1881)
19. Silent Baby by Ellen Bartlett Currier
24. Children by Walter Savage Landor (1775–1864)
29. To J. H. by Leigh Hunt (1784–1859)
45. To a Child During Sickness by Leigh Hunt (1784–1859)
55. Pictures of Memory by Alice Cary (1820–1871)
60. Rain on the Roof by Coates Kinney (1826–1904)
64. “Woodman, spare that tree” by George Pope Morris (1802–1864)
67. Choosing a Name by Mary Lamb (1764–1847)
73. Half-Waking by William Allingham (1824–1889)
79. Try Again—Anonymous
94. Foreign Children by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
96. The Shadows by Frank Dempster Sherman (1860–1916)
106. The Wind by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
122. The Story of Cruel Frederick by Heinrich Hoffmann (1809–1894)

There are only 3 that I prefer not to do at all: two of them, even though they are great, I already did them for the monthly poetry projects, so I don't like to repeat the same poem:

The Old Oaken Bucket by Samuel Woodworth (1784–1842)
The Old Arm-Chair by Eliza Cook (1818–1889)

And one poem I really dislike since my childhood: The Walrus and the Carpenter by Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll) (1832–1898)
I know this is a DR for 5 readers, so I dearly hope the rest of you do not share my dislike, and you all agree to read for that one, so that I don't have to :?

I am flexible for all the other ones, if we need to make changes.

Sonia
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Hello all!

I have claimed my DR parts for this project - 23 roles. If anyone wants to take one of mine which you really like, or exchange parts - do let me know, I don't mind :)

Here are my (tentative) claims for the solos: :D

02 The Baby by Kalidasa
03 Birth
19 Silent Baby
40 Seven Times One
44 A Portrait
63 The Old Armchair
65 A Parable
93 The Dead Doll
97 The Dancers
100 Wings
101 Foreign Lands
103 The Land of Story-books
135 There Was a Small Boy of Quebec
136 There Was a Young Lady of Niger
137 Finis
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wow you claimed all your DRs already ? :shock: ok I might choose some more for myself then. I'll still leave enough juicy female roles for Leanne as well :) But I'll have another look now.

edit: I claimed 20 roles now. That still leaves a dozen or so specifically female roles. I wait which ones Leanne will pick then I help out with the rest, unless the boys want to get in drag again ;)

I see with your wishlist we only overlap in one...but I'll wait till all the others are in as well, before we haggle LOL

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I've claimed 23 in the DRs! A lot of these poems are ones I love from my childhood, so I've claimed a few narrator roles if that's alright xD
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Just looked through the poems. Here's two lists: the first one is the 15 I would love to claim, with my absolute favourites in bold, and the second one is other poems I wouldn't mind reading.

MY CLAIMS:
Birth by Annie R. Stillman (Grace Raymond)
Lullaby: From 'The Princess' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Japanese Lullaby by Eugene Field
My Little Girl by Samuel Minturn Peck
Rain on the Roof by Coates Kinney
The Old Arm-chair by Eliza Cook
Woodman, Spare That Tree by George Pope Morris
Choosing a Name by Mary Lamb
What Does Little Birdie Say?: From 'Sea Dreams' by Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Twinkle, Twinkle by Anonymous
How Doth the Little Busy Bee by Isaac Watts
A Life-Lesson by James Whitcomb Riley
My Shadow by Robert Louis Stevenson
Under My Window by Thomas Westwood
Good King Arthur by Anonymous

(I know that's a lot in bold...but I really struggled to narrow it down, so I thought I would be honest!)

OTHER POEMS I LIKE:
The Baby by Kalidasa
Étude réaliste by Algernon Charles Swinburne
Cradle Song: From 'Bitter-Sweet' by Josiah Gilbert Holland
Little Feet by Elizabeth Akers
Baby Louise by Margaret Eytinge
Polly by William Brighty Rands
The Mother's Hope by Laman Blanchard
The Gambols of Children by George Darley
Baby Bell by Thomas Bailey Aldrich
Our Wee White Rose by Gerald Massey
She Came and Went by James Russell Lowell
I Remember, I Remember by Thomas Hood
A Parable by Mathilde Blind
The Dead Doll by Margaret Vandegrift
The Shadows by Frank Dempster Sherman
Wings by Mary Louise Ritter
Foreign Lands by Robert Louis Stevenson
A Little Dutch Garden by Harriet Whitney Durbin
There Was a Little Girl by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The History Lesson by Anonymous
There Was a Small Boy of Quebec by Rudyard Kipling
Finis by Anonymous
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Just did a quick comparison and noted the clashes with the claims.

With Sonia, we clash on:
Rain on the Roof by Coates Kinney (1826–1904)
“Woodman, spare that tree” by George Pope Morris (1802–1864)
Choosing a Name by Mary Lamb (1764–1847)

And with Anusha:
Birth
The Old Armchair

Alright, some haggling will have to be done here :oops:
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Okay. So I don't clash with Sonia or Anusha, I've decided not to claim
"Woodman, spare that tree"
"Choosing a Name" and
"Birth".

Instead, I will claim:
Polly by William Brighty Rands
I Remember, I Remember by Thomas Hood
Baby Bell by Thomas Bailey Aldrich

I dearly hope you two will let me keep Rain on the Roof and The Old Armchair!