COMPLETE World's Best Poetry, Vol. 1 (Part I)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
anushar04

Post by anushar04 »

Hi all!

Here is my contribution for the second essay: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_001_anusha_various_128kb.mp3
(you're right Sonia, I do enjoy doing prose as well, but since most prose sections seem to be really long, I tend to lose patience, and don't get big chunks of time at a go :P
also - I live right in the middle of the city, so no gardens - but I have noticed that the birds seem to go crazy loud from around 6 am to 9 am - I love it though, waking up to their chirping :9: )

And here are 2 more DR parts:

A Belated Violet: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_112_anusha_various_128kb.mp3
The Frost: https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_113_anusha_various_128kb.mp3

(there is construction work going on in my building, so I only get time in tiny bursts between all their drilling and hammering)
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

anushar04 wrote:
(there is construction work going on in my building, so I only get time in tiny bursts between all their drilling and hammering)
I do know how you feel! Slow and steady!
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: :shock: this is what you do while I am sleeping. You guys have been so prolific ! :9: Well, I know what I will have to do the entire morning LOL

Starting with the PLing, and then maybe some editing, but I am not sure I can finish them all.

Stay tuned...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I started with the second essay from Anusha. Again, beautifully read. :) And the birds were quieter this time 8-)

At about 3:04-3:05 I heard a rumbling noise, I don't know what that was. I think it goes into your reading, so there is nothing you can do about that. But I'll mark it PL ok nevertheless, as I was able to understand the sentence clearly after all.
anushar04 wrote:(you're right Sonia, I do enjoy doing prose as well, but since most prose sections seem to be really long, I tend to lose patience, and don't get big chunks of time at a go :P
yes just like me. I wouldn't mind reading novels if the chapters were not so long LOL
also - I live right in the middle of the city, so no gardens - but I have noticed that the birds seem to go crazy loud from around 6 am to 9 am - I love it though, waking up to their chirping :9: )
yes I also enjoy watching the birds play in the garden while recording, just sometimes they need to be a bit quieter LOL Luckily when I close the window, their sound is quite muffled.

on to the next...

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

next up: The Piper. Since that was only a dialogue, I quickly assembled it too. Jason and Tomas, you sound nicely in contrast to each other. Works well :thumbs:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_066_various_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 1:26 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Footpage in Swan's Nest is PL ok. He sounds quite formal, I can really see a foot-page talking to a princess like that. :thumbs:
Juggling that many voices is a bit too much work at the moment, so I leave this one for later...

I did assemble Fairy Days though, because it was again a simple dialogue.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_104_various_128kbp.mp3
Recording time: 2:49 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

> Crop Fairies PL ok. I love it that all the fairies (Water, Wind and Crop) have their distinct characters. Reading such poems as this one with many voices really makes a difference. Now I am curious how Craig's Brownie will turn out...

> Narrator and Grasses in the Belated Violet are PL ok as well. Both are read with extreme feeling. :9: I again had a tear in my eye when I listened to this poem. Somehow the tragedy of it gets to me. :cry: (I know, I am too empathic)

both not yet ready for edit

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Finished assembling the Frost. Anusha, Jason, both your parts were excellently read and it was nice for once to get both parts in the same session, so I was able to assemble while PLing.

Anusha, there was one creepy noise in your recording, but I managed to get it edited out as best I could. I wonder what that was. :?

Here is the result:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_113_various_128kbp.mp3
Recording time: 2:21 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Owl and Pussycat ready for PL :9: I loved all your speeches in this one, it's really a pity there wasn't a tiny role for me and Craig as well.

Jason you spoiled me for choice with your two words LOL I tried them all out in the finished product, and I chose the one I thought fitted best. I hope you are happy with my choice.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_126_various_128kbp.mp3
2:13 min.

This is probably going to be one of the favourites in this collection.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and the last two part PL jobs for now are done:

Anusha, I liked the bird children. Why wasn't there some helpful bird chirping in the background this time ? :mrgreen: you need to train your birds better....

Jason: flawless reading too. I think your Carpenter will be a nice contrast to Tomas' Walrus as well. (and you didn't forget to read the entire sentence, which should be read by both :thumbs: )

both parts PL ok...

all that remains to be done is one editing job. But I think I leave this one for Tomas, at least for the moment. I want to get some of my poems done now. Need a break from here.

Thank you all for bringing these poems to life so magnificently. :9:

Sonia
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

20 Years in Canada, 20 years in Panama, now returned to Canada for the next stage of my life
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, thanks. Yes I think you had the biggest chunk in this intro. But the one in the other intro is shorter, so be relieved ;)

You are an excellent prose reader as well :9: And I found no errors whatsoever, so this can be marked PL ok.

So as soon as Leanne has re-sent us her edited file, I can assemble the first essay. Leanne, as a reminder, here were my PL notes (saves you the time to look for them):
Your file contains both intro-parts ;) You can delete everything starting from 6:50 since that part is already in the other file.

Also checker gave me a warning that it's only 84 dB, but maybe that will change once the second half is cut out.

Also found two errors:

> at 1:04: "So, too..." - sorry, your text had "ho too". (my fault again :oops: ) It makes it a bit funny though LOL not sure this needs to be changed, I leave it up to you

> at 5:47: "if it appeals" - you say "for it appeals" which says exactly the contrary to what the author meant, so I think this error would be better corrected, as it's a change of meaning
Sonia
jasonb

Post by jasonb »

It was much shorter:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_001_jason_various_128kb.mp3

I will have some more contributions later today.
Regards,
Jason (back) in Canada

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

this is great, thanks so much. Now we have all the intros in and I was able to edit it together. We are reading for over half an hour here, guys. (luckily I did not have to do this alone :shock: )

I tweaked the volume levels a bit, so I think we are all more or less in synch. Anthony, if you think some are louder so that it's not agreeable to listen to, please tell me.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/worldsbestpoetryvolume1_1_001_various_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 35:40 min.
I will have some more contributions later today.
looking forward to those. But I might not be available for PL today anymore. I have a family dinner tonight and I don't know how late I will come in.

Good luck with further recordings

Sonia