COMPLETE[POETRY]Cowboy Songs & Other- John Lomax-a

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Mfassio

Post by Mfassio »

Thanks,

Michael

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it." — P.J. O’Rourke
NathanTroyer

Post by NathanTroyer »

Could I do #33. The U-S-A Range! Thanks!
Nathan Troyer
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Hey Larry, I did a PL of your section, and your reading was word-perfect, and formatted correctly (passed the Checker). During the reading, but not during the intro, it sounded like there was a TV or radio playing in the background, or maybe some people carrying on a conversation. Could you check and see what you think? I hate to have you re-read the whole poem, but for me it was pretty noticeable.

--Kurt
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

All three of these passed the Checker with correct format and volume. You make great use of dramatic pauses!
009 :thumbs:
013 :thumbs: Nice job of adding variety to the repeated phrases!
017 :thumbs: Nice pacing!

All three are PL OK!

--Kurt
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

All three passed the checker with correct volume. I do notice a little noise when you are speaking, but not in your pauses. I wonder, are you using some kind of noise canceling mic? It's not objectionable, just thought I'd make mention of it.

012 :thumbs:
037 :thumbs: Great pacing on this one!
042 :thumbs: Nice voice switching when reading the Boss.

All three are PL OK!

--Kurt
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

NathanTroyer wrote:Could I do #33. The U-S-A Range! Thanks!
Nathan Troyer
Certainly. Thanks for joining this project.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

kwpapke wrote:
Hey Larry, I did a PL of your section, and your reading was word-perfect, and formatted correctly (passed the Checker). During the reading, but not during the intro, it sounded like there was a TV or radio playing in the background, or maybe some people carrying on a conversation. Could you check and see what you think? I hate to have you re-read the whole poem, but for me it was pretty noticeable.

--Kurt
Yes, this is quite noticeable and I think really needs to be redone. There is also a noticeable echo quality to the recording as if it is done in an empty room. It is maybe borderline acceptable. Few, if any of us have professional studios and equipment. And, for many of us, finding a quiet time and place to record is a real challenge. I put up with train whistles, airplanes, trucks, landscapers (or snow plows) and sometimes conversations outside -- that is when I'm alone! Otherwise, it's the grand kids :9: :roll: Just remember that everything you can hear, your microphone can hear and so will your listeners.

Other than that, your reading is just fine, and I'm glad to have you recording for this project!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks all for your contributions, and Kurt for the PL. I think I have everything updated in the MW.
~ Larry
NathanTroyer

Post by NathanTroyer »

How do I get to the book to read it? Last time I did a recording the mc sent me a link, is there a way I can find it on my own?
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

silverquill wrote:Thanks all for your contributions, and Kurt for the PL. I think I have everything updated in the MW.
Does this seem right?

30 Young Companions kwpapke 1:58 Listen Assigned

Is it not ready for PL?

--Kurt
ldavidh

Post by ldavidh »

Hi and thanks for the constructive feedback. You're quite correct in the room acoustics observation. I am in an all-concrete building and facing a concrete wall just inches from my face. Fortunately, this is a temporary arrangement for the next couple weeks. After that I'll be in my own abode and can make wall arrangements more friendly to acoustics. In the meantime, I'll try to come up with some temporary sound-softening. No problem with re-reading the poem as it's not very long.
Larry H
iBeScotty

Post by iBeScotty »

Scotty
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

ldavidh wrote:Hi and thanks for the constructive feedback. You're quite correct in the room acoustics observation. I am in an all-concrete building and facing a concrete wall just inches from my face. Fortunately, this is a temporary arrangement for the next couple weeks. After that I'll be in my own abode and can make wall arrangements more friendly to acoustics. In the meantime, I'll try to come up with some temporary sound-softening. No problem with re-reading the poem as it's not very long.
Larry H
FWIW, I record all my readings in my clothes closet. It's not too stimulating staring at my trousers and shirts while I read, but the clothing does a great job of absorbing sound. If you don't have a closet you fit into, there's always the "blanket over the head" thing...

--Kurt
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

Nice emoting on the "oh's" toward the end. At 3:22 you say "unfurl" instead of "unfurled". Whaddya think? I wouldn't have bothered bringing it up, tense isn't important here, but it kinda messes with the rhyme with "world" on the next line. :hmm:
Perfect. You are really good at accents, I wouldn't have guessed the two poems were read by the same person. PL OK :thumbs:

Both files pass Checker for format and volume.

--Kurt
kwpapke

Post by kwpapke »

NathanTroyer wrote:How do I get to the book to read it? Last time I did a recording the mc sent me a link, is there a way I can find it on my own?
Nathan: the link to the book is always in the first post of the thread, usually point #4. Click on "Go to Page 1" and you'll see it at bullet 4.

--Kurt