COMPLETE Old, Old Fairy Tales, L Valentine-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Bluedal3k

Post by Bluedal3k »

I would please like to claim section 15! :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Before you record for this project, I need you to submit a 1 minute test. The instructions for this are in the welcome email and also linked in the Introductions forum. Please post it to the Listeners forum for technical feedback. Once it is OK, please come back here and confirm you still want to record this story - it is a very long choice for a first recording! I expect it will be about 50mins final listening time. I will hold it for you for two weeks to allow you to get your test done.
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

This was a whole lot of narration!

"Zirphil." Every time I said his name, I felt like I should rattle off a list of side effects.

Anyway, here's Chapter 20, Princess Minikin. Running time: 1:31:19.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oldfairytales_20_valentine_128kb.mp3

Vittoria
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Wow! I didn't realise this story would end up so long! :shock:

I'll PL the text to make sure there are no other changes, but I think this story will need to be split into "Chapter 20, Part 1" and "Chapter 20 Part 2", which will mean doing a new intro and outro for each Part, but otherwise the recording itself will stay the same. I tend to split chapters in a place that makes sense for the story, rather than strictly in the middle.
Last edited by Elizabby on June 25th, 2017, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

PL notes for Story 17, The Good Mouse:

@11:51 a repeat of "it came to her mind"
@14:05 a repeat of "and there"
@27:55 word should be "graceful" in "her form was graceful as a fawn"
@39:51 word is "countenance" in "wearing a sedate and serious countenance"
@39 55 repeat of "more than"
@40:28 word should be "gentle" (as in gentle-men) in "all whom they met, gentle or simple"
@42:22 repeat of "and never until the time"
@42:31 I would suggest putting in a gap of about half to one second here, as the story seems to skip abruptly from the entering of the city to the coronation scene. It's up to you, but I think a little bit of space here would make the story flow better.

That's it! Sorry, it probably looks like a lot of notes, but it really isn't that many for such a long story! (As you may know, if you edit from the end of the story backwards then all the time stamps will stay correct as you make changes to the file.)
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

Elizabby wrote:Wow! I didn't realise this story would end up so long! :shock:

I'll PL the text to make sure there are no other changes, but I think this story will need to be split into "Chapter 20, Part 1" and "Chapter 20 Part 2", which will mean doing a new intro and outro for each Part, but otherwise the recording itself will stay the same. I tend to split chapters in a place that makes sense for the story, rather than strictly in the middle.
I would be happy to record and submit new intros and outros. Would Librivox staff be willing to split the file, or should I do that? Please let me know. Thank you.

Vittoria
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Librivox doesn't really have a "staff", it's just you making your recording and me giving you some advice on how to do it!

What needs to happen is this:
- you find a place where the recording can be split
- click in a gap where you are not speaking
- scroll to the very end of the file and shift-click or right-click to select the second half of the file
- cut and paste the second half into a new blank file
- you need to add a new "outro" to the end of the first file, which will say "end of chapter 20 part 1" and add a new 5 seconds of silence as well
- you can either edit the intro you have to add "Part 1" to the first intro by copying and pasting the words "part 1" from your new outro, or just re-record that bit of the intro.
- re-export and reupload this file as the new Ch 20
- you also need to add a new intro and disclaimer to the second file which says "Chapter 20 part 2"
- the second file will already have your original outro which is fine, so just re-export this file as "Chapter 20b" and reupload, and you are done!

You can do this immediately, or wait for me to PL the original file and see if there are any other changes to be made - that's up to you.

Also, I owe you an apology - it's my fault this has happened. :( I didn't realize the file would be so long when fully recorded or I would have split it into two sections pre-emptively. So I'm sorry for creating the extra work for you! :oops: Let me know if you need any more help!
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

Elizabby wrote:Librivox doesn't really have a "staff", it's just you making your recording and me giving you some advice on how to do it!

- scroll to the very end of the file and shift-click or right-click to select the second half of the file
- you need to add a new "outro" to the end of the first file, which will say "end of chapter 20 part 1" and add a new 5 seconds of silence as well
- you can either edit the intro you have to add "Part 1" to the first intro by copying and pasting the words "part 1" from your new outro, or just re-record that bit of the intro.
- you also need to add a new intro and disclaimer to the second file which says "Chapter 20 part 2"
- the second file will already have your original outro which is fine, so just re-export this file as "Chapter 20b" and reupload, and you are done!

You can do this immediately, or wait for me to PL the original file and see if there are any other changes to be made - that's up to you.

Also, I owe you an apology - it's my fault this has happened. :( I didn't realize the file would be so long when fully recorded or I would have split it into two sections pre-emptively. So I'm sorry for creating the extra work for you! :oops: Let me know if you need any more help!
I'll go ahead and do this now. (I did do a word-for-word proof myself, so the file should be pretty clean.) My recording gear is in my music studio, so I'm pretty savvy with editing files.

I'll get this done and reuploaded, then let you know when I'm finished.

Vittoria
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

Elizabby wrote:Librivox doesn't really have a "staff", it's just you making your recording and me giving you some advice on how to do it!

I need your help.

I split the file and recorded new intros/outros. No problems there.

However, in the "part 2" file, I lost my right locator in Cubase. It just completely disappeared from the ruler. I Googled and found nothing on this. (Am I the only person ever to have had this happen? Grrrr!)

The upshot is that I had no choice but to export a one hour and 31 minute file, with the last half being no audio at all. I tried importing it into Audacity to cut off the dead air at the end, and Audacity said it needed something called "lame_enc.dll" to save it back as an MP3. (I did export, not save, the file.)

I then imported the MP3 it into WavePad (a sort of one-trick pony software that edits audio files) and it applied some kind of metadata that resulted in an error message when I tried uploading it to LibraVox.

May I ask you to open the part 2 and just cut off the "dead air" at the end? I'm VERY sorry for the trouble. Every single piece of software I'm using today is a brick wall.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Vittoria
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Vittoria,
Sounds like a very frustrating day!

You do need something called LAME to make mp3s from Audacity. For some software copyright reason, Audacity can't simply install it, you have to download it separately. The instructions on how to do this are here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

MaryAnn
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Vittoria,
Sounds like a very frustrating day!

You do need something called LAME to make mp3s from Audacity. For some software copyright reason, Audacity can't simply install it, you have to download it separately. The instructions on how to do this are here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

MaryAnn

Thank you very much, MaryAnn. Yes it has been a VERY frustrating day, with all three programs screwing up.

I did upload both halves, but because I was unable, a little while ago, to upload part 2 during the same session in which I uploaded part 1, I no longer have the link to part 1. Apparently, once that upload session is closed, we no longer have access to the files we've uploaded, or so it seems.

I do have the link to part 2.

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oldfairytales_20.2_valentine_128kb_.mp3

Part 1 running time: 46:59; Part 2, 45:13.

Please let me know if there is some difficulty in your locating part 1.

Vittoria
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Vittoria,
Is the file name 20.1? or 20?
MaryAnn
VittoriaConn

Post by VittoriaConn »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:Vittoria,
Is the file name 20.1? or 20?
MaryAnn
It's 20.1
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi!

Section 17 Edits are complete - it is at 43:47 now. I was unable to find the following items to correct:

@11:51 a repeat of "it came to her mind"
@14:05 a repeat of "and there"

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/oldfairytales_17_valentine_128kb.mp3
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks so much Lmnei, Chapter 17 is now PL OK! :thumbs:

(I don't hear those repeats now either, so perhaps it was a problem with the uploader or my download, rather than the original file. Anyway, it seems to be fixed now.)