COMPLETE The Little Minister, JM Barrie-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The Little Minister by J. M. Barrie (1860 - 1937).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-little-minister-by-j-m-barrie/[catalog page URL]

Before "Peter Pan" came "The Little Minister", J.M. Barrie's first published novel. This is not a children's book, but reflections on life in a remote village in Scotland. The story opens with the minister and his mother moving into the village of Thrums, where the minister must earn the respect of the villagers, threading his way through class differences, politics and suspicion of the travelling gypsies. But what would happen if the newly respectable minister of Thrums fell in love with a gypsy woman? And how will her secret impact upon them all? (Summary by Beth Thomas)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/littleminister03unkngoog
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project:
    ============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Little Minister. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Little Minister, by J. M. Barrie. [Chapter number and title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Little Minister, by J. M. Barrie. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    littleminister_##_barrie_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. littleminister_01_barrie_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Elizabby on July 14th, 2017, 4:28 am, edited 5 times in total.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,

Happy to MC this for you. Will get the MW set up.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Beth,
Please post when you have the MW completed so that I can move this project to readers wanted.
Thanks,
MaryAnn
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Yes, all done! Ready for claims!
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Howdy,

Just saunterin' on by to make a claim for sections 2 3 & 4.

Thankee, ma'am.

Sylvia
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Oh, I'm such a silly. I only just noticed you're offline from April 5-19.

Hope you're on a vacation and having a wonderful time!

In anticipation of your okay for my claim, I'm going to get started. Hope that's not a problem.

Wishing you lots of vacation fun.

Sylvia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sylvia,
I can update the MW while Beth is away. Your claims have been noted!
MaryAnn
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Thank you for updating for my claim. I have a little problem with some text and was hoping you could give a suggestion - or anything.

The typos created by Gutenburg's optical reading process are usually pretty easy to figure out, but this one's got me stumped. Here's the phrase with the sentence surrounding it:

On the east coast of Scotland, hidden, as if in a quarry, at the foot of cliffs that may one day fall forward, is a village called Harvie. So has it shrunk since the day whffi'Q I skniisied from it that I hear of a traveller's asking lately at one of its doors how far he was from a village;

Now, I think "whffi'Q" is "when" - but I'm just stumped on the last word of what I think is a 3-word phrase. From context it seems like it would be a word about leave-taking. Any input you could give would be helpful.

Thanks.

Sylvia
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

Cancel that call for suggestions/assistance. I can't believe I found a source the had the true text.

Google has the book listed and the Google page has a search for common words and phrases within the book. I entered "Harvie", the name of the town he was describing, and there it was, the true phrase is ""when I skulked". I never would've figure out the word "skulked".

Anyway, I can't believe I was able to find it!

Thanks anyway.

Sylvia
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sylvia,

The first post indicates the text we are reading. You should only be reading from this edition of the book: https://archive.org/details/littleminister03unkngoog

MaryAnn
NathanCJones

Post by NathanCJones »

I'd be happy to grab section 12 here.

I'm also new here so if I'm totally biffing on something just give me a heads up.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Welcome Nathan!

[I'm not the regular Book Coordinator (BC) for this project, but I am covering for her while she's off line.]

I've added your claim to the Magic Window (MW). You now have a reader page. If you would like your catalog name to be changed, or to add a personal website, just let me know. https://librivox.org/reader/11637

If you have any questions, please just post. We have all been new at some point and you'll find lots of great folks around here, ready to help you quickly move up the learning curve!

MaryAnn
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

MaryAnn,

I understand that instruction you mentioned, but how can I stick to reading from the Gutenberg text when the text is so screwed up by the optical reader that there literally is no word to read? Did you see what was in the quote I provided? I figure it's just like translating from gibberish to standard English. And anyway, it's only one word. Not like I'm a heretic or something.

Sylvia
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »

I believe I need to apologize, and I am sorry I so completely misunderstood your reminder. I did not realize at all that I was using the Gutenberg text (I don't remember how I got there) in error when the link you pointed out to me takes one to a Google microopaque image of the full book. There are no problems with gibberish in the microopaque rendering, and so that solves that problem.

Please forgive me for a sharp retort.

Sylvia
sylviamb

Post by sylviamb »