Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 16

1:25 fowling, I hear following
2:40 missing the "end quote"
Roger

Post by Roger »

16 has been patched and re-uploaded. Ready for a spot PL.

Thanks! :D
-- Roger .... pushing on the door of life marked "pull"
msfry

Post by msfry »

sherrilothridge wrote:I would love to read Ch. 9 on the Foxhound after my 1-minute test is checked out. Thanks!

Sherri :D
Thanks, Sherri. I've made some comments on your 1-minute-test. Meanwhile, please let me know what name you'd like to use in our catalogue. Some people use their Real Name and other people use their username. Then read through the First Post carefully for any special notes, what to say at the Intro and Outro, what to name your file, where to upload it, etc. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
msfry

Post by msfry »

16 is PLOK :thumbs:
sherrilothridge

Post by sherrilothridge »

I'm wondering if I should start on a smaller project, such as poetry, and work my way up to a chapter instead? It's a little intimidating to start. Also, I am working on making the changes to my test and will have them up today. Thanks so much for your generous help!

Sherri
msfry

Post by msfry »

sherrilothridge wrote:I'm wondering if I should start on a smaller project, such as poetry, and work my way up to a chapter instead? It's a little intimidating to start. Also, I am working on making the changes to my test and will have them up today. Thanks so much for your generous help!

Sherri
It is a good idea to start on something short, and 20 pages could easily be a 30 minute completed project. How would you like to try 47, the Schipperke, only 6 pages (maybe a 9 or 10 minute file). Everybody has their own recording style, and here is mine. I just start recording and don't stop the tape unless someone is knocking at the door. If I make a mistake I just repeat that phrase again, and again, and again til it sounds right. I don't stop to fix, erase, mark the mistake with a click or anything like that. I just read away til the whole track is laid down. I have to do that in the morning when the house is quiet. I can edit later when there is noise and people around me. I usually keep a few things recorded ready to edit as time permits.

Editing is another matter, and usually takes longer than laying down the track. There are several tutorials on our Wiki on how to use and edit with Audacity, and I have some up on Youtube myself. Nothing slick or professional, mind you, but informative. Here are two:
Tutorial #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpqPMwunLcM
Tutorial #2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0pUkrt799Q
sherrilothridge

That sounds like it will work better! Thanks for the switch. And thank you for all of your help. You have been very kind!! I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Sherri
msfry

Post by msfry »

sherrilothridge wrote:That sounds like it will work better! Thanks for the switch. And thank you for all of your help. You have been very kind!! I'll let you know if I have any questions.

Sherri
I'll put you in for 47 as soon as you choose a catalog name to insert into the system.

I am curious about the Schipperke. A dog club friend of mine has one and says he is sneaky, tricky, and 'VERY STUBBORN'. I wonder what they were bred for -- I think maybe they are the Dutch barge dog, keeping the rats at bay. I do look forward to proof listening.
sherrilothridge

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... kb.mp3.mp3 13:18

This was very fun as my first read. Let me know of any changes I need to make. Thanks again!!

Sherri
msfry

Post by msfry »

sherrilothridge wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... kb.mp3.mp3 13:18

This was very fun as my first read. Let me know of any changes I need to make. Thanks again!!

Sherri
Well, well, that was fast. I shall listen soon, but I need you to look at the file name. You will notice it says at the end: mp3.mp3. This is actually not your fault. There is a glitch in our First Post template that is quite confusing to newcomers. It says to save the file as an .mp3, then it includes .mp3 in the file name, resulting in two .mp3s.

To resolve this, would you please save your file in Audacity again, leaving off both .mp3's. When you save it, the save window will ask you "do you want to save this as an .mp3, you say Yes, and the program adds it. I usually fix this in my First Post, but this time I forgot, and you got bit. Sorry.

Upload again, post the new file here again, and we'll proceed from there.

Also, please choose a catalog name. How about Sherril Othridge? I use my real name, Michele Fry, and I am proud when someone I know recognizes that it is me. Or you can use your first name only, last name only, username, or some other handle. But once you choose it, I don't think you can change it.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Michele,

I've fixed the filename on the server. If I am MCing for you, please don't ask readers to reupload files just to fix filenames. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... _128kb.mp3

I should note, also that there is another file with this section number that was uploaded on Nov 22. It is a much larger file (>55 Mb) so perhaps was a mislabeled section 48 upload?
Jo
msfry

Post by msfry »

knotyouraveragejo wrote:Michele,

I've fixed the filename on the server. If I am MCing for you, please don't ask readers to reupload files just to fix filenames. Thanks!

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... _128kb.mp3

I should note, also that there is another file with this section number that was uploaded on Nov 22. It is a much larger file (>55 Mb) so perhaps was a mislabeled section 48 upload?
My intention was that the reader needs the file name to be correct on her own computer, which only she can fix. As to the old 47, that was mine, which was renamed 48 so all is well on that score.
RiDi

Post by RiDi »

I would very much like to read chapter 36 - the Great Dane!

My familiy owned one, when I was a child. I love them!

My catalogue name is Ricarda.
Ricarda

Ingenious, really, how many ways muggles have found of getting along without magic. (Arthur Weasley)

My reading list
msfry

Post by msfry »

RiDi wrote:I would very much like to read chapter 36 - the Great Dane!

My familiy owned one, when I was a child. I love them!

My catalogue name is Ricarda.
Thanks, Ricarda, and welcome to the project. I will enjoy learning more about the Great Dane. I have two friends who use them as service dogs, improving their balance and getting out of chairs by holding onto the raised handle of a saddle the dog wears, and carrying their things in saddle bags. I look forward to learning more of what they were originally bred for.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 47

Your file meets all LV specs, and those plosives are gone. Congratulations, Sherri! I do hear a continuous knock in the background, no idea what that is, but it isn't so loud as to detract from your lovely reading. I didn't notice it on your test files, though, so you might try to identify it's source for future recordings.

I have only heard this breed called Skip'-per-kee, but upon further investigation, I learned that your pronunciation, Shu-perke', is also used, primarily in France, also Germany and Russia!

Here are 3 misreads that should be addressed, for they either change meaning appreciably, or don't make sense.
7:17 hardy, intelligent; I hear hardly intelligent.
7:32 has a gay carriage, his temper is admirable, I hear has a gay carriage to his temper
12:20 on the sides and underpart, I hear on the sides of the underpart

When you have made your changes, save the file and upload again for spot PL. (If you need help with splicing in undetectable edits, I'd be glad to share my methods.)