COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

ErinTheFarm

Post by ErinTheFarm »

Hi Michele! Thanks so much for the helpful guidance on equalizing the recording - sounds so much better. I was a little nervous about playing around with those tools, so having an idea of what settings to start with as a baseline was really helpful.

I thought I had saved it/exported it in mono but it must have flipped over to stereo at some point in the process - good to know that's something to double-check. Hopefully I got it correct this time?

Here's v2:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_40_various_128kb.mp3 (11:27)

Thanks for the suggestions!
msfry

Post by msfry »

ErinTheFarm wrote:I thought I had saved it/exported it in mono but it must have flipped over to stereo at some point in the process - good to know that's something to double-check. Hopefully I got it correct this time?
I forgot to tell you, go to Edit/Preferences/Devices, and under Recording choose Mono. Audacity will remember this setting for all your new files.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Jill. I will PL soon.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 3, 4, and 44 are PL OK.

It's all I can do not to run out and get an American Gordon Setter this minute! They seem magnificent. Alas, I know it's almost a crime to get a hunting dog when you don't ever go out into the field. What a well written (and well read) article. Thank you, and for the revisions too, Jill.
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

msfry wrote:Sections 3, 4, and 44 are PL OK.

It's all I can do not to run out and get an American Gordon Setter this minute! They seem magnificent. Alas, I know it's almost a crime to get a hunting dog when you don't ever go out into the field. What a well written (and well read) article. Thank you, and for the revisions too, Jill.
It was a nice chapter! I once pet sat for a Gordon Setter which is why I wanted to read this chapter as it reminded me of him. I just wanted to give him a big hug and snuggle after reading it but he now lives far away from me so I had to settle with just thinking fond thoughts about him. He's a sweetie. :)

Thanks for the PLs and for your patience in my finally getting these chapters completed!

Jill :)
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Betty. Did a quick check.
Each file needs changing in 4 places (twice in intro), once at end, and then incrementing the file name up one number, from 28 to 29, in this case.
This one still says Chapter 28 toward the end of the intro, just before title, author. Should say Section 29.
Audreyl13

Post by Audreyl13 »

I would love to read Chapter 22. My name is Audrey. Thanks!
Audreyl13

Post by Audreyl13 »

I would like to claim section 24 also.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Audreyl13 wrote:I would love to read Chapter 22. My name is Audrey. Thanks!
Hello, Audrey. Welcome to Librivox. I see you joined today, and you are welcome to claim sections on the various projects. However, I recommend you head over to the forums (link at upper left corner of every page), and Introduce Yourself, then submit your One Minute Test, to make sure your technical parameters are set correctly for LV's platform. Here is some information on how to do this. http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

You may also want to choose some short pieces to record first, say 10 minutes or less (short poetry and children's books are great places to find these), to get the hang of reading the BC's first post, recording, editing, naming and uploading files, etc. HINT: Each page on this project represents about 2 minutes worth of finished recording. So, 5 pages would be about a 10 minute long file.
We have many tutorials on our Wiki to help you through this process (see top menu) viewforum.php?f=17
Also, there are lots of volunteers willing to lend a hand.

Lastly, you have chosen Audrey13 as your username. I need to know what real name you would like to be shown as in our catalog of finished work. Examples:
catalog name/user name
Michele Fry/michelefry
Michele Fry/msfry
msfry/msfry

I will hold 22 Fox Terrier, and 24 Irish Terrier, in reserve for you pending your completion of the above. Let me know if you have questions.
ErinTheFarm

Post by ErinTheFarm »

Hello again- here is section 15:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_15_various_128kb.mp3 (18:31)

Let me know any changes needed. Thank you!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Erin.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 40
Checker reports volume now at 96.2 dB, very loud, and you can see by the wave form that it extends to the outer edges of the 1.0 and -1.0 limits.
In Audacity, I reduced your Amplification by -6.5, and it sounds good. Try it and re-upload, and if you have questions about how to do this, please ask me.
Last edited by msfry on October 30th, 2017, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 15 Irish Water Spaniel

Checker reports overall amplification at 91.9, which sounds pretty loud but within LV range. However different parts of the file are amplified differently. To make the file consistent, I recommend that you:
de-amplify the whole file -1,
then de-amplify 0 thru 13:22 another -1
bringing the whole file down to about 90dB

14:01 should say "A natural sandy light coat 15." You say 10. Doubt anybody would notice or add up the figures, but I mention it in case you want to fix it.

Otherwise, very nicely done, Erin! I hope you'll continue reading for us. :thumbs:
Let me know what you plan to do with this file.