COMPLETE: The American Book of The Dog -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks, Betty. All are PL OK.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Sections 5 and 6 are uploaded, The Pointer

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_05_various_128kb.mp3 59:19
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/americanbookofthedog_06_various_128kb.mp3 54:50

I need someone to PL my sections for me. Do I have a volunteer? If you are new to PL'ing, I'll be glad to help you learn the process.

This is almost 2 hours on the development of the Pointer as a breed. Countless thousands of hours and dollars involved. It would be especially interesting to someone who loves , trains, shows and/or hunts with dogs.
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

msfry wrote:
I need someone to PL my sections for me. Do I have a volunteer? If you are new to PL'ing, I'll be glad to help you learn the process.

Hi Michele,
I would like to PL for you. I am new to this and would really appreciate the help. I read the FAQ and the wiki pages regarding PL'ing and got Checker already working.
I already have one question: in the first post is written that standard PL is requested, but you seem to read along and check if the words are correct? As English is not my first language and there is a lot of special vocabulary concerning dogs, this might be useful to do for me too.
I am looking forward learn more about dogs, the only experience I have is with St. Bernards, and they are pretty awesome :)
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thank you, Nuria. I would love for you to PL my sections, and this is a perfect place for you to start!

Keeping in mind everyone has their own way of doing things around here, the way I do it is:
  • Download the file to my computer (we don't tie up LV's resources by streaming).
  • Go to the spot in the First Post that says INTRO, so I know what script the reader is supposed to follow.
  • Open the text document (the link in the first post). Scroll down to the chapter in question.
  • Open a blank Notepad or Wordpad document so I can jot down notes as I listen. Title the page: PL Notes for [section ##)
At this point I will have 4 pages open.
Don earphones or earbuds, so I can hear the details well. and I am ready to PL.

If Standard is requested, then you don't have to follow along with the text, but I have the time so I ALWAYS do, and catch a lot of mistakes I otherwise would miss. A request for Special PLing usually includes Standard plus following along with the text, or asking for help with pronunciation. The reader decides what level of critique they want (CC after my signature signifies I welcome crits/comments). Word Perfect is largely reserved for famous works that are renowned for their cadence, rhyme, etc. (poetry, famous speeches, etc.), and asks a lot more of the proof listener. Naturally, we don't want to waste your time citing insignificant things.

I notate mistakes this way:
  • INTRO. Shorten silence to 1 second.
    3:24 ran down the hill, I hear ran up the hill.
    5:52 repeat "had a little lamb"
    6:02 stumble at "fleece was white as snow", can't make out the words
    8:44 long long pause (3.5 seconds)
    9:17 missing phrase, "and everywhere that Mary went"
    Checker shows your volume at 84.2. LV strives for around 89. Recommend you amplify +5.2.
[/list]

Readers often invert words, or use similar words, and these can be mostly ignored. Examples:
She walked swiftly up the hill vs. She swiftly walked up the hill.
He found the book exceedingly boring. vs He thought the book was exceedingly boring.

We do cite errors that appreciably change the meaning or I like to think of as changing the "word pictures" the listener is getting. Examples:
If the mouse is supposed to be running UP the clock, saying the mouse is running AROUND the clock paints the wrong picture.
Singular vs plural: Betty gets her word(s) mixed up. Needs the s to make sense.
Mispronunciations: There may be more than one way to pronounce a word, in which case either is okay. Example: Or-ray'-tor vs Or'a-tor. But other words, especially proper names, need to be correct. Miss-i-sip-pi, not Mi-sip-pi.

At any rate, look through the Magic Window in the First Post to find links to any of my files (msfry), right click on the link to the file (where it says "Listen"), save to your computer, open in Audacity, and give it a try.

Copy and paste your notes to this forum and let's see what happens.
I am so excited. :clap: :clap: :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nuria wrote:Hi Michele,
I would like to PL for you. I am new to this and would really appreciate the help. I read the FAQ and the wiki pages regarding PL'ing and got Checker already working.
I already have one question: in the first post is written that standard PL is requested, but you seem to read along and check if the words are correct? As English is not my first language and there is a lot of special vocabulary concerning dogs, this might be useful to do for me too.
I am looking forward learn more about dogs, the only experience I have is with St. Bernards, and they are pretty awesome :)
What a great way to improve yourself in a second language! I hadn't thought of that. Follow along with the text as you listen to someone read it! Even say it out loud as you read along. This would be a great tool for language teachers. :D
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

msfry wrote: I am so excited. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Me too! :D
I started with section 49 Spaniel Training as it is short. :lol:
The only real difference to the text that I found was that you added at the very end "read for you by LibriVox volunteers in 2017".
This is not part of the outro of the first post and as the years ends soon and there are many sections still open, it might be better maybe to remove the 2017?
The whole text was clearly understandable and nice to listen to.
According to Checker, everything technical is fine, too, but you probably checked that already.
This seems a bit different from modern dog training, the poor dogs which have been beaten...
msfry wrote: What a great way to improve yourself in a second language! I hadn't thought of that. Follow along with the text as you listen to someone read it! Even say it out loud as you read along. This would be a great tool for language teachers.
I actually did that in school, first, we could only listen and then we read along. The cd's were also provided together with the school books
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nice PL'ing. The Intro/Outro are a guide. Some say "end of." Others say "This ends". Some say "read by", others say "recorded by". Some readers don't include their name at all. The most important thing is that the title and author, section or chapter numbers, as well as the Public Domain disclaimer must be exact.

Good catch! Here's the revised file.
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyourav ... _128kb.mp3 12:42

And now you do a Spot PL to make sure I fixed the mistake, and also make sure I've uploaded the correct file to LV by listening again to the Intro, check the file name, and the file length is also a good indicator that the correct file has been uploaded, nothing inadvertently wiped out, etc. All sorts of mistakes can happen in the editing/file naming/uploading process. You are our insurance that we don't end up with a book with two Chapter 6's and no Chapter 7!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or a Chapter 10 with the last half missing.

If everything checks out, you post "49 is PL OK", or some facsimile thereof. Then I will mark the MW as PL OK. And we move on.
kittypryde12

Post by kittypryde12 »

Hello! I'd like to claim sections 18 and 26, please. This is my first recording. I'd like to be called Jamie Fidler in the catalogue, please!

Thanks,
Jamie
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

Section 49 is PL OK.

Thank you for all your explanations, they are really helpful.
msfry

Post by msfry »

kittypryde12 wrote:Hello! I'd like to claim sections 18 and 26, please. This is my first recording. I'd like to be called Jamie Fidler in the catalogue, please!

Thanks,
Jamie
Hello, and welcome to Librivox. You have chosen two short pieces - perfect for newcomers!! And I see you've done your 1-minute test. All good. You might want to go over to the New Here -- Introduce Yourself forum at viewforum.php?f=17
Tell us a little about yourself, your recording setup and experience level, etc. And if you are new to recording, look for the video tutorials on how to use our forums, edit your files, etc.

I have added you into the catalog as Jamie Fidler/kittypryde12. So now just read carefully through the First Post on this project which will tell you everything else you need to know: any NOTES, the proper INTRO and OUTRO to add to your story, what to name your file, how and where to upload your completed file, and so forth. Any questions, feel free to ask!
Last edited by msfry on December 9th, 2017, 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Nuria wrote:Section 49 is PL OK.
You are welcome. What shall you PL next?
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

msfry wrote:
Nuria wrote:Section 49 is PL OK.
You are welcome. What shall you PL next?
I did section 46 the Toy Spaniels:
19:15 one word missing: "as the King Charles, Roscius, and the Blenheim, King Pippin"
and section 5 The Pointer Part 1:
44:29 "Pendyffryn" is read twice
45:28 "was Champion Wagg" is also read two times
Everything else is fine.

And now I'll continue with part 2 of the pointer.
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

Here are the PL notes for section 6 The Pointer Part 2:
26:11 "first Philadelphia" is read twice
36:32 some short background noise
41:42 "Meteor" read twice
And I totally lost track of all the different dogs which may sometimes have appeared multiple times :lol: or maybe there have been many pointers named Bang.
Nuria

Post by Nuria »

Next, the PL notes for section 48:
31:27 "should be given every two err three or four hours" is read, you seem to have missed the two during editing.

I can probably finish the last section to be PL'ed today, too.