[COMPLETE] A Prince of Swindlers--philc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

[Group/Crime & Detectives] A Prince of Swindlers by Guy Boothby--philc (1867 - 1905).

This project is complete and can be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/a-prince-of-swindlers-by-guy-boothby/
The year 18-- was a momentous one in Great Britain. Not only did the nation receive most of the world's royalty for months on end, but the well-to-do gentleman, Simon Carne spent much of the social season in London. On friendly terms with royalty, sponsored into society by Lord Amberly, formerly viceroy of India, Carne's horse won the Derby and his Yacht the Queen's Cup. But at the same time, a serious of notorious swindles, thefts and other crimes plagued London and the surrounding environs. The mysterious detective Klimo did a thriving business by attempting to resolve the crimes. Little did Londoners suspect that Klimo and Carne were one and the same, and the notorious activity remained unsolved until a confession was sent to Lord Amberly, from the man who became known as A Prince of Swindlers. ( Dr.PGould)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/54771
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This space reserved for our fabulous DPL craigdav1 :clap:
      ============================================

Genres for the project: Crime & Mystery Fiction/Detective Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: detectives, fictional crime, 19th century great britain

============================================
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of A Prince of Swindlers by Guy Boothby. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "A Prince of Swindlers by Guy Boothby [Chapter]" [IF necessary, Part #]

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [Number]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of A Prince of Swindlers by Guy Boothby"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      aprinceofswindlers_##_boothby.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. aprinceofswindlers_01_boothby.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link. For this project be sure that your file ## corresponds with the section number, as many chapters have been split into two sections.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: philchenevert
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Last edited by DrPGould on August 17th, 2017, 7:08 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Back after 8/15. In the hands of the medicos.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Set in the age of Holmes and Raffles with the stories offering plenty of the attributes of each. I feel privileged that the illustrious and intrepid philchenevert has graciously offered to MC this work.

To get this project started, we still need a DPL and numerous enthusiastic readers! Welcome one and all. :clap:

Philip
Last edited by DrPGould on August 11th, 2017, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I will set this up for you later tonight. I'm very interested in this one. :D
EDIT: I used to be intrepid, but it was the doctors were able to remove it.
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Many thanks, Phil.

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

philchenevert wrote:I will set this up for you later tonight. I'm very interested in this one. :D
EDIT: I used to be intrepid, but the doctors were able to remove it.
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Phil:

Thanks for the MW. I have loaded in the sections. I had thought about dividing two long Chapters in thirds, but decided just to halve them. (Difference is 17 vs. 14 sections). While looking for some Audacity help last night--ran across your "Why do we say that" podcasts. Loved them (and thanks for the Audacity and Librivox videos, too).

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

DrPGould wrote:Phil:

Thanks for the MW. I have loaded in the sections. I had thought about dividing two long Chapters in thirds, but decided just to halve them. (Difference is 17 vs. 14 sections). While looking for some Audacity help last night--ran across your "Why do we say that" podcasts. Loved them (and thanks for the Audacity and Librivox videos, too).

Philip
Oh yes, I remember them. I did about 50 of those podcast type thingies before realizing they were just too much work and cut into my naptime. But I still love word origins and collect all I can so if you find some interesting ones, send 'em my way.

About the sections, it looks like you did a fine job of dividing the text. That is something BC's get too little credit for,making these kind of decisions. Of course we can add as many sections as you wish at any time. Looks good so far! :thumbs: Now you must practice patience while waiting for some to volunteer to DPL and to read. But they will come, they will come...

EDIT: Comment, not a suggestion. In books with no page numbers I sometimes just past each section into Google Docs and then put the 'link to text' into the magic window. I suppose you could do the same with Dropbox. It saves the reader from needing to find starting and ending places and ensures no overlapping of readings (not that this happens; I really don't know). Most BCs don't do this but anything to help the reader is nice, unless I'm feeling lazy that day.
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi all .-

Can I please sign up for sections 11-14?

Many thanks!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Hello, Lynda and Welcome to the Project.

Sections 11-14 are yours.

Many thanks,

Philip
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi everyone. We are definitely looking for a DPL here. We will waive the usual $500 application fee. :roll:
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks so much Dave! Welcome aboard! :clap:

Philip
GillH

Post by GillH »

I can do Chapters 1 - 3 (Sections 1 - 4).
SerFish

Post by SerFish »

I can take chapter 6 (sections 9 + 10)
-- Joshua Hagstrom
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

GillH:

Sections 1-4 are yours. Welcome to the project! I hope you enjoy your reading.

Many thanks,

Philip