COMPLETE[Plays] One Act Play Collection 010 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

First time as a BC in the One Act Play Collections, please let me know if I missed anything.

Title: What Christmas Did for Jerusha Grumble (A Play for Five Girls)

Author: JOHN D. MACDONALD (https://librivox.org/author/11586)

PD text link: http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/53734

Link to author on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._MacDonald (1916 - 1986)
Volunteers outside the USA: JOHN D. MACDONALD] died in 1986. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).

Link to title on Wikipedia: none

Number of roles (including narrator): 6

Original publication date: Copyright 1919 by Tullar-Meredith Co.

list of characters:
Narrator
Isabel, Hazel, Julia, Jessie, Jerusha (Or it might be better if all used their own names except Jerusha.) <- from the text instructions

David O
ShiNeko

Post by ShiNeko »

Section 30 Bridget Gillane PL OK.
~Anastasiia
Multilingual Monthly Poem like Weekly Poetry but for all languages🗺
Сборник рассказов Л. Андреева
"Кобзар" Шевченко several short roles: "Гайдамаки", "Великий льох" 🎭
wib66

Post by wib66 »

thanks MW updated
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
wib66

Post by wib66 »

dlolso21 wrote:First time as a BC in the One Act Play Collections, please let me know if I missed anything.

Link to author on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._MacDonald (1916 - 1986)
Volunteers outside the USA: JOHN D. MACDONALD] died in 1986. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1954) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years).

list of characters:
Narrator
Isabel, Hazel, Julia, Jessie, Jerusha (Or it might be better if all used their own names except Jerusha.) <- from the text instructions

David O
Thanks David I will put this in our collection
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

May I read Jerusha?

And the play end with them singing a christmas carol. Mind if I pick one that seems easy? I can do a separate piano track for that to make it easier for everyone to sort of sing together.

MaryAnn
wib66

Post by wib66 »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:May I read Jerusha?

And the play end with them singing a christmas carol. Mind if I pick one that seems easy? I can do a separate piano track for that to make it easier for everyone to sort of sing together.

MaryAnn
As you are the main character it would be best if you record the carol first and then others follow your lead to make it easier to edit together. A piano track would be useful thanks
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

dlolso21 wrote:First time as a BC in the One Act Play Collections, please let me know if I missed anything.

list of characters:
Narrator

David O
I haven't read the whole thing yet, but this looks cute. I'll read Hazel. :)
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

MaryAnn & Devorah,

Thank you for volunteering and claiming parts so quickly.

David O
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

Michele,

Thank you for adding this and for the sound advice.

David O
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

dlolso21 wrote: Link to author on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._MacDonald (1916 - 1986)
He published it when he was 3 years old?
Truth,
James
---------------------
wib66

Post by wib66 »

I have searched as best I can to find information about this author but it would appear that it is not the author with dates 1916 to 1986 as this play does not appear on any of his book lists as he is a prolific writer of crime and suspense novels and didn't write his first novel till 1950 so it cannot be the same person as this play was published in 1919. I think this would therefore make it in the Public Domain and open to anyone but would like someone else to check it before we make this decision. What do you think David let me know.

Thanks
Michele
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

wib66 wrote:I have searched as best I can to find information about this author but it would appear that it is not the author with dates 1916 to 1986 as this play does not appear on any of his book lists as he is a prolific writer of crime and suspense novels and didn't write his first novel till 1950 so it cannot be the same person as this play was published in 1919. I think this would therefore make it in the Public Domain and open to anyone but would like someone else to check it before we make this decision. What do you think David let me know.

Thanks
Since Gutenberg lists it as PD, it should be free and clear, right? Even if we don't know anything about the author.

Good catch, James. I didn't even look at the author info.
dlolso21
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by dlolso21 »

wib66 wrote:I have searched as best I can to find information about this author but it would appear that it is not the author with dates 1916 to 1986 as this play does not appear on any of his book lists as he is a prolific writer of crime and suspense novels and didn't write his first novel till 1950 so it cannot be the same person as this play was published in 1919. I think this would therefore make it in the Public Domain and open to anyone but would like someone else to check it before we make this decision. What do you think David let me know.

Thanks
Michele,

Thanks for checking into it. I guess we have a JOHN D. MACDONALD to add to the database. I have not been able to find any other dates for him. It looks like Project Gutenberg has 4 titles by 2 different "JOHN D. MACDONALD's" then.
The one with dates, wrote Science Fiction and this other on wrote about Christmas.

I apologize for my confusion.

David O
wib66

Post by wib66 »

dlolso21 wrote:

Thanks
Michele,

Thanks for checking into it. I guess we have a JOHN D. MACDONALD to add to the database. I have not been able to find any other dates for him. It looks like Project Gutenberg has 4 titles by 2 different "JOHN D. MACDONALD's" then.
The one with dates, wrote Science Fiction and this other on wrote about Christmas.

I apologize for my confusion.

David O
Please don't apologise. It is very strange that there is no information about him in terms of even birth and death dates. I wonder if Project Gutenberg have any more info. I have looked on Google, Archive, Haiti and a couple of other sites but nothing with any info about him as an author but I think we can safely say it is not the other one. Thanks
Michele
ZamesCurran

Post by ZamesCurran »

mightyfelix wrote: Since Gutenberg lists it as PD, it should be free and clear, right? Even if we don't know anything about the author.
Gutenberg's copy includes a copy of the title page, which clearly states "Copyright 1919", so there should be no question about it being PD.
Truth,
James
---------------------