[Complete] The Glories of Ireland by Dunn/Lennox - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

The Glories of Ireland by Joseph Dunn (1872 - 1951) and PJ Lennox (1862-1943).

Volunteers outside the USA: Joseph Dunn died in 1951. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-glories-of-ireland-by-joseph-dunn/
A collection of essays on Ireland compiled by Joseph Dunn and PJ Lennox. As stated in the Preface to the books "...we have been forced to the conculsion that the performances of the Irish race in many fields of endeavor are entirely unknown to most people, and that even to the elect they are not nearly so well known as they deserve to be. Hence there came to us the thought of placing on record, in an accessible, comprehensive, and permanent form, an outline of the whole range of Irish achievement during the last two thousand years." ( KHand)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12111
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Reading Notes:
      • Please read the by lines (ie: "The Romance of Irish History" by Sir Roger Casement, C.M.G)
        Please also read the References

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Joseph Dunn) : n/a
    7. Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (PJ Lennox) : n/a
    8. Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    9. Number of sections (files) this project will have: 35
    10. Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
    11. Original publication date (if known): 1914
    12. If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History ; Short Stories; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book: literature, history, music, Ireland

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Glories of Ireland. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Glories of Ireland, Edited by Joseph Dunn and PJ Lennox. [Section Name]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Glories of Ireland, Edited by Joseph Dunn and PJ Lennox. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    gloriesofireland_##_dunn_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. gloriesofireland_01_dunn_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by MrsHand on February 16th, 2017, 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I can set this up for you.
It might be worth noting in the first post that this is not PD in Ireland (a death +70 country).
Back in a few minutes with the MW.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Lynnet wrote:I can set this up for you.
It might be worth noting in the first post that this is not PD in Ireland (a death +70 country).
Thanks! I added a comment to the first post.

Ironic really that the Irish couldn't read about their own country.
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

craigdav1 wrote:Would enjoy being dpl.
DaveC
I'd love to have you! Thanks for volunteering.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Dave added as DPL.
Moving to Readers Wanted Short Works - or would you prefer Books?
JennyA

Post by JennyA »

MrsHand wrote:
Lynnet wrote:I can set this up for you.
Thanks! I added a comment to the first post.

Ironic really that the Irish couldn't read about their own country.
I am Irish and I can read it - New Zealand, where I live now, is a death+50 country :D

Please put me down for section 18, Irish Heroines, and section 25, The Irish in Australasia, to start with. I might come back for more later, depending on how I get on with remembering how to pronounce old Irish names :oops:

Jenny
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Lynne - Short works is fine. I was thinking that's where it should be anyways.

JennyA - You're in! Thanks for kicking things off.
JennyA

Post by JennyA »

Let Ireland's glory commence! Or resume, I suppose. In either case, here's section 25 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/gloriesofireland_25_dunn_128kb.mp3

Total length 17:49
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

25 PL OK.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

JennyA wrote:Let Ireland's glory commence! Or resume, I suppose. In either case, here's section 25 :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/gloriesofireland_25_dunn_128kb.mp3

Total length 17:49
Thank you JennyA and Dave!
javd207

Post by javd207 »

I got section 1 working... this is my first recording! Hope I do OK :)
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

javd207 wrote:I got section 1 working... this is my first recording! Hope I do OK :)
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox! Prior to submitting a section to a project, it would be in your best interest to complete the 1-Minute Test and post it in the Listeners Wanted forum for review. It's not an audition, but merely a way to ensure that you're starting off right as far as the technical aspects are concerned.

Additionally, please let me know what you'd like your name to be in the LibriVox catalog. Some people use their given names, others their forum names, or anything you'd like really. Additionally, we can include a personal website link if you've got one you'd like added. I can set up your reader page while we're waiting for your 1-Minute test to be approved.

As a finer point of etiquette, it's generally wise to request a section before beginning to record it. That way you don't waste time doing something that may have been claimed earlier in the thread (while not an issue here, it could become a problem in other projects.

I've reserved Section 1 for you, pending the approval of your test. Please post back here once it's been approved.
Kalynda

Post by Kalynda »

May I have 31 please?
Il faut cultiver nos jardins.
MrsHand

Post by MrsHand »

Kalynda wrote:May I have 31 please?
It's yours! Welcome to the project!