COMPLETE Theologia Germanica by Anonymous-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Theologia Germanica by Anonymous ( - 0). Translated by Susanna Winkworth (1820 - 1884)

This project is now complete and can be found in our catalog here: https://librivox.org/theologia-germanica-by-anonymous/

This short, anonymous work is thought to have been written in the 1300s by a member of the lay-religious group called ‘The Friends of God.’ Its central teaching is that humans can become one with God by living a holy, selfless life in which our will is subsumed into God’s, of which Christ is the ultimate example. Martin Luther discovered, named, and published Theologia Germanica in 1516, declaring that, "Next to the Bible and St. Augustine, no book has ever come into my hands from which I have learnt more of God and Christ, and man and all things that are." (Summary by Pleonic)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.ccel.org/ccel/anonymous/theologia.html
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: Christianity, mysticism, spirituality

============================================
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapters [number] through [number] of Theologia Germanica . This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Theologia Germanica , by an Anonymous author. Translated by Susanna Winkworth . Section [number, title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Theologia Germanica by an Anonymous author. Translated by Susanna Winkworth. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "Chapters [number] through [number]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapters [number] through [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Theologia Germanica, by an Anonymous author. Translated by Susanna Winkworth"

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  4. Example filename theologiagermanica_##_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. theologiagermanica_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3)
  5. Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  6. Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Pleonic on February 14th, 2017, 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

"The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." ~ GK Chesterton
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Saw this in 'Book Suggestions' and thought I'd give this wonderful little book a go.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

"The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of the Conservatives is to prevent the mistakes from being corrected." ~ GK Chesterton
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Pleonic,

I'd be happy to MC this for you.

I see you've pulled the summary from CCLI. While the text of the book is in the PD, Ms. Davis' summary is not, so you'll need to rewrite a summary for LV.

I'll get your MW set up.

MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. You'll need to start by entering section (or chapter) titles. I'm sure you've seen enough of our projects to know how to structure those. The system adds the section number to the beginning of whatever you type in the MW.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

I've filled in some section titles to get your started. No right way to do that, so please feel free to adjust. I was thinking that all the intro matter would go in a single section at the beginning, so that the section numbers matched the chapter numbers. If you had something different in mind, that's fine. Right now the intro text refers to "section" this or that. If your section numbers and chapter numbers match, you can simply read the intros as "chapter number" and make no reference to the "section".

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo.

Glad to see you back and stepping into something new!

MaryAnn
argonant

Post by argonant »

I'm so glad to see you took up this suggestion, and although I'm still fairly new around here, I would be happy to proof listen for this project if that service is needed. :)
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote:OK, Your MW is set up.

For a solo project, you are the Book Coordinator. That means you fill out the Magic Window and post your links and times in the window when you upload your files. You'll need to start by entering section (or chapter) titles. I'm sure you've seen enough of our projects to know how to structure those. The system adds the section number to the beginning of whatever you type in the MW.

You'll need to start by logging into the magic window. Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!) Please be sure to read all of the BC How To document, as that will give you more information on your role as a BC.

I've filled in some section titles to get your started. No right way to do that, so please feel free to adjust. I was thinking that all the intro matter would go in a single section at the beginning, so that the section numbers matched the chapter numbers. If you had something different in mind, that's fine. Right now the intro text refers to "section" this or that. If your section numbers and chapter numbers match, you can simply read the intros as "chapter number" and make no reference to the "section".

If you have questions, or if you have any trouble with the instructions in the BC how to, please post and we'll work through it together. There is a bit of a learning curve when you do your first solo.

Glad to see you back and stepping into something new!

MaryAnn
Thank you for setting everything up. I've replaced the CCEL summary with one I wrote myself, as asked, and I like your idea of putting all the introductory material in section 00. After thinking about it, since Theologia Germanica has so many teeny-tiny chapters I've decided to record in sections of 5 chapters each. Unfortunately that means I asked you for way more sections than I'm going to need. Could you please delete the extraneous ones when you get a chance? Hope that doesn't complicate things too much.

I've done a few Solo recordings for Librivox, but the last one was in 2010 and it looks like things have changed since then. Thank you for all your help!
Last edited by Pleonic on February 4th, 2017, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

argonant wrote:I'm so glad to see you took up this suggestion, and although I'm still fairly new around here, I would be happy to proof listen for this project if that service is needed. :)
I'd be glad to have you PL Theologia Germanica, Dylan! Thanks for offering. I hope to begin posting recordings in the upcoming week.
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Sorry, I failed to get my subscription to this thread set up . . . but I'm back and all is fixed now.

I've deleted the extra sections from the MW. We'll jump over to "going solo."

Dylan, I've added you as dedicated proof listener. You'll need to create a password to log into the Magic Window (MW). Your MW is set up.

Instructions are in the BC How-to; and this is a more detailed version of the First Login instructions (with pictures!)

After you listen to a section, please post in the thread to say PL OK, or give any PL comments. You also need to go into the MW and change the status for that section.

Any questions, please give a shout and we'll help you along!

Maryann
argonant

Post by argonant »

Great, everything is working on my end as far as I can tell. Thank you for your help!
Dylan P. Straub

"The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." —Mark Twain
Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

argonant wrote:Great, everything is working on my end as far as I can tell. Thank you for your help!
Great! The Preface and Historical Introduction just needs to be edited, so I should have something for you to listen to soon!
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

Pleonic

Post by Pleonic »

Well, here we go. Here are the first 2 files:

https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/theologiagermanica_00_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (47:52)
https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/theologiagermanica_01_anonymous_128kb.mp3 (14:19)

Note: Originally I was going to skip Chevalier Bunsen's letter because I thought he would make the 1st section too bulky, but after finishing the Preface and Introduction I decided to include it after all.

Also, you may notice (I did!) that my voice changes a bit in different portions of the Introduction. That's the affects of tree pollen allergies. Happy proof listening!
Pleonic

Homepage | Blog

argonant

Post by argonant »

:clap: Enjoyed your reading very much! A couple quick notes…

PL notes section 0

31:36 - stumble “especially those of Eng-Engenthal”

38:21 - I heard “Roman-alasticism” (recording skipped?); should be Romanic scholasticism

The end of recording does not match the text above. Also, add 10 seconds of silence afterwards.

PL notes section 1

11:59 - a minor note you might change if you think it changes the meaning… I heard “and the less he taketh his knowledge unto himself,” the text says “and the less he taketh this knowledge unto himself”

The end of recording does not match the text above.

Also, I wasn't able to make any changes in the project management area. I think I might be doing something wrong. Will troubleshoot later, but wanted to put the notes up, and maybe someone has an idea.
Dylan P. Straub

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Dylan,

If you click on the "BC Admin" link under the MW, what happens?

If it says you don't have permission, try logging out and then logging in again. If you are still having trouble, tell me what you are doing and what it is telling you back, and I'll help you work through it.

MaryAnn
argonant

Post by argonant »

Tried it in a different browser and everything started working like magic. Thank you, MaryAnn, for offering your help. :)
Dylan P. Straub

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Great news. Thanks for the update Dylan.

MaryAnn