COMPLETE Katydid's Poems By KS McKinney -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

dcrespo wrote:Here's my first try at this poem. Keep in mind this is my first full poem I have recorded so feel free to give as much criticism as possible. Thank you!

Poem 3: https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/A_Day_Dream_(First_Poem).mp3
Thank you!

Two little things: the correct file name is specified for each project in the first post. This should have been katydidspoems_03_mckinney_128kb.mp3. Also, how long is the recording (mm.ss)? Please remember to always post the duration of the recording along with the link whenever you upload a file. thank you!
Carolin
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Hello Kirby and dcrespo! Here are the PL notes for sections 1, 3, 10, and 16:

Section 01
Very nicely read! You have a lovely reading voice. :)

I do have a few changes for you to make, details here:

1. Please read the intro and outro/end as stated in the first post of this project
• At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by Kate Slaughter McKinney, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
2. Background noise is a little high, could be noise cleaned a bit.

3. Since the Dedication was added into this section and Carolin added it into the title of the section in the Magic Window, I wonder if you should state the title as "Dedication and Letter"? Carolin can weigh in on her preference.

Section 03
Thank you for your recording! It's wonderful to have so many talented new readers on this project. :)

I do have a few changes for you to make to this section:

1. See Carolin's note regarding the naming of this file and stating the length of the file when posting here (above).

2. The volume is currently 80.0 dbs which is low. We aim for an average file volume of 89 db and will accept anything that falls within 3 dbs of that on either side, so 86 to 92 dbs. Will you please amplify your file to get it into the acceptable range?

If you haven't already, I would recommend downloading the Checker program and using it to check your own files. It's super helpful and takes a lot of the guesswork out of finding the volume for your files. There is also a plug-in for Audacity (if that is what you're using), called ReplayGain that checks the volume for you right within the program. Here's the link to the wiki page on Checker: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker. And here is the link to the wiki page on ReplayGain: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity.

3. At the end of the recording please change it to "This recording is in the public domain" instead of "This poem is located in the public domain". We want to be clear that the recording itself and not just the poem is in the public domain.

Sections 10 and 16 are PL OK! I would see what you can do to reduce background noise in the future. Your voice is beautiful so I would hate to lose that quality with a bunch of noise cleaning, so I wonder if there's a way to decrease background noise/increase your voice volume as you are recording? Help with this may be found in the Need Help? Got Advice? section of the forum and in the LibriVox wiki (linked at the top of all forum pages).

Either of you, please let Carolin or I know if you have any questions. Thanks, again, for your contributions!

Jill :D
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you jill :thumbs:
Carolin
kirbywheatland

Post by kirbywheatland »

jillebean wrote: Section 01
Very nicely read! You have a lovely reading voice. :)

I do have a few changes for you to make, details here:

1. Please read the intro and outro/end as stated in the first post of this project
• At the beginning of the recording, read the abbreviated "LibriVox disclaimer":
"[Poem title], by Kate Slaughter McKinney, read for LibriVox.org" by [your name] or some variation on that, adding date, location, your personal URL, etc., if you wish.
• Then read the poem.
• At the end, say: "End of poem. This recording is in the public domain." and leave five seconds of silence.
2. Background noise is a little high, could be noise cleaned a bit.

3. Since the Dedication was added into this section and Carolin added it into the title of the section in the Magic Window, I wonder if you should state the title as "Dedication and Letter"? Carolin can weigh in on her preference.

Sections 10 and 16 are PL OK! I would see what you can do to reduce background noise in the future. Your voice is beautiful so I would hate to lose that quality with a bunch of noise cleaning, so I wonder if there's a way to decrease background noise/increase your voice volume as you are recording? Help with this may be found in the Need Help? Got Advice? section of the forum and in the LibriVox wiki (linked at the top of all forum pages).

Either of you, please let Carolin or I know if you have any questions. Thanks, again, for your contributions!

Jill :D
Hi Jill! Thanks for the comments and suggestions, and also the compliments :9:

Concerning the intro to section 1, Carolin asked me to include those extra introductory bits. Her post on that is on the previous page of this thread, I believe. Let me know if I need to change any of that.

As for background noise, I think what I will do is trying recording in a different room. I have a very spacious closet that may do the trick. I usually record at my desk, but I live right next to a busy road and there are many small children in the house, so sequestering myself could help with the buzz.

Thanks again for critiquing my recordings! I will get to work making the changes you've suggested. :D

Kirby
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you kirby! Pardon jill, i missed the bit about the intro, that is indeed right as the first section is not a poem and so the poetry disclaimer would not fit :)
Carolin
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Sorry Kirby and Carolin, I think I misunderstood what Carolin had asked you to do. I think I understand now! ;)

Please disregard my PL notes regarding the intro which only leaves the background noise as a PL note. I will leave it up to you if you want to try to reduce the background noise or not. I will mark section 01 as PL OK but will be glad to take another listen if you do want to resubmit with any noise cleaning.

Thanks!

Jill :)
kirbywheatland

Post by kirbywheatland »

Roger that! I tried recording in the closet, and it really takes the edge off the background noise. I will go ahead and re-record the sections I've done so far and get them back to you. It shouldn't take too long.

Thanks!
Kirby
FraserP

Post by FraserP »

Hi Carolin,

if you are accepting male readers for this project I should like to claim No. 14 - My Cloud.

Cheers!
FraserP
Cheers,
Fraser Prescott
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you all!

There is a poltergeist in the magic window, i think jill is in it and I've messed up her pl statuses :oops:
Carolin
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Hi Kirby and Melissa.

What a great bunch of recordings you both gave me to listen to! Wow. Very impressed. :clap:

Kirby -- Section 01, 02, 10, and 16 are all PL OK and the background sound/voice balance is much improved. The closet definitely helped!

Melissa -- Sections 05 and 06 have that "For ____ ____" and "Written for ____" at the beginning. I'm not sure if Carolin wants those included or not so I've marked them as See PL Notes for now while we wait for Carolin to let us know. And Sections 07, 08, and 09 are all PL OK!

Thanks to you both.

Jill :)

ETA: Carolin, I just saw your name in the "who's online" list and then saw your note about poltergeists. :) I'll double-check the statuses in the MW. Thanks!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you jill :)
Carolin
mrsp

Post by mrsp »

Thanks Jill! :) Yes, I wondered about the "for" and "written for" as well. Carolin please let me know if I need to add and I'll make the changes tonight.
Melissa P.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

I think it doesnt make a ton of sense to dedicate a poem to someone and then hiding the dedication? I wonder why they chose that at publication :hmm:

Anyway you neednt add it. If there were a name that would be nice to include but no need to read the blank.

My apologies for not writing this right away, looks like the poltergeist confused me more than i realised :oops:
Carolin