COMPLETE[PLAY] The Schoolmistress by Pinero - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
EikyTavie

Post by EikyTavie »

Kitty wrote:
EikyTavie wrote:May I claim Sections 23, 24, 25 of Jane Chipman
Hello and welcome :)

our BC (aka Admiral Todd for this project) is absent for the moment, so I'll handle the meet and greet for now.

I can reserve you this part but it would be highly recommendable to do a one-minute test before you start recording a longer part. If your technical specifications are all good to go, it will save you a lot of tweaking trouble later on. You can post your 1-minute-test in the sub-forum: Listeners & Editors Wanted. Some of our tech-savvies will answer you quite quickly there.

Also I would need to know the name you want to use in your reader's catalogue. Can be the same as your forum name, or something else, just as you wish.

So once your 1-minute test is approved, you can jump into the play.

Since it's your first time dramatic reading for LibriVox, this piece of advice might come in handy: please leave 2-3 seconds of normal room silence in-between each of your "speaking chunks". Since every bit needs to be cut out and pasted into a completed act, it's less trouble for our editor if you leave a lot of space in-between the chunks.

I hope you have fun "acting out". :mrgreen:

Sonia
Thanks Sonia, I have submitted my 1-Minute test here
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_eikytavie.mp3 and awaiting feedback. Once approved I'll dive in. EikyTavie will suit just fine for my name. Thanks!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

EikyTavie wrote:Thanks Sonia, I have submitted my 1-Minute test here
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_eikytavie.mp3 and awaiting feedback. Once approved I'll dive in. EikyTavie will suit just fine for my name. Thanks!
great, I see your test has been approved in record time :) I will officially assign you this part now. I hope you have fun.

Sonia
EikyTavie

Post by EikyTavie »

Kitty wrote:
EikyTavie wrote:Thanks Sonia, I have submitted my 1-Minute test here
great, I see your test has been approved in record time :) I will officially assign you this part now. I hope you have fun.

Sonia
Thank you Sonia :clap:
kierenmetts

Post by kierenmetts »

Hi there!
May I claim the role of Gwendoline Hawkins? (Sections 14, 15, & 16)

Thanks!
Kieren
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

kierenmetts wrote:Hi there!
May I claim the role of Gwendoline Hawkins? (Sections 14, 15, & 16)

Thanks!
Kieren
Yes, thank you.

Todd
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Saw the note about this in the wrap up of The Magistrate, which I want to listen to soon.
Well, Queckett is certainly a juicy part, but my voice may be a bit old for him. I'd like your input, Sonia. I'd be glad to take the challenge, but would also be content with Mr. Goff.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Might I suggest that the role of Naval Cadet Saunders, described as having a treble (ie, unbroken) voice, might be best played, in the panto tradition, by a woman?

Cheers,
SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:Saw the note about this in the wrap up of The Magistrate, which I want to listen to soon.
Well, Queckett is certainly a juicy part, but my voice may be a bit old for him. I'd like your input, Sonia. I'd be glad to take the challenge, but would also be content with Mr. Goff.
Ah here we finally have somebody brave enough to tackle Queckett :mrgreen: Since you like my input, I don't mind at all, in fact I don't think I saw written anywhere that he was a really young guy. I could imagine Miss Dyott going for the older guy, too (hoping for stability - in vain, I might add). He is your typical nobility "drone" though. Living off his name, not being bothered much by working for his keep. :lol: Rupert Everett might have played him on stage...

So if you want to continue our "married couple life" which we started in Magistrate, I'd say: go ahead. :D

Sonia
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Maybe we should stop meeting like this, my dear :shock:
Tongues may wag.

Here is the description on his first entrance: "Vere Queckett enters. He is a fresh, breezy, dapper little gentleman of about forty-five, with fair curly hair, a small waxed moustache, and a simple boyish manner. He is dressed in the height of fashion and wears a flower in his coat, and an eyeglass."

So, I'll wax my moustache and curl my hair, go get a flower, and act younger. The dapper part will be a challenge, and I'll stick to my khakis and blue jeans. 8-)

So, I'll throw in a claim for Q.

I'm not sure on the pronunciation of his first name. Does it rhyme with "hair" or "were," or is it "very?" Since I missed it on Mr. Wyke, thought I'd ask.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

silverquill wrote:Here is the description on his first entrance: "Vere Queckett enters. He is a fresh, breezy, dapper little gentleman of about forty-five, with fair curly hair, a small waxed moustache, and a simple boyish manner. He is dressed in the height of fashion and wears a flower in his coat, and an eyeglass."
:| ok I missed that one...but 45 is not "boyishly young" in my opinion. You can be breezy and dapper without having a young voice. As I said: Rupert Everett - he is not 20 anymore either
I'm not sure on the pronunciation of his first name. Does it rhyme with "hair" or "were," or is it "very?"
I think I said "Veer" like the verb "to veer around the corner". But names can be pronounced by different people differently. We already have that in this play with Dinah, her parents seem to have a different preference of pronunciation than her schoolmates :mrgreen:

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I agree that names can vary for a given character. In your "Wyke" example, I think the plain vanilla ""wick" like "candle-wick" was fine, probably the correct way to say it (and probably how it was actually spelt). But once he became a butler, Wyke was putting on airs and wanted "WIk" with WI like WiFi. Can't you just see that regal chin up in the air as he carried the decanter of port and answered only to "Wyke" - except for barely tolerating his employer (and essentially parole officer) referring to him as "Wick"?

Thanks, Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

I don't want to worry anyone or anything, but last night my Sennheiser microphone headset gave up the ghost. Right after those two DR roles. Hmm. :shock:

If I go quiet for a week or so, volunteering-wise, it's because I'm hunting up a new mike.

By the way, I recall that in the U.K. show "To The Manor Born", de Vere's name was pronounced like "veer". Though I believe he was supposed to be Czech.

SOTE
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
kierenmetts

Post by kierenmetts »

Hello!
Here is Section 14, Gwendoline Hawkins, Act I

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/schoolmistress_gwendoline_1.mp3

Duration: 03:26

Thanks!
Kieren Metts
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

kierenmetts wrote:Hello!
Here is Section 14, Gwendoline Hawkins, Act I
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/schoolmistress_gwendoline_1.mp3
Duration: 03:26
Thanks!
Kieren Metts
thank you Kieren, nicely read. :thumbs: I can really imagine what mayhem it will sound like later on when all the girls are assembled together :lol:

Unfortunately, Gutenberg again made a mess of the character assignements. :( so there are a couple of sentences that need to be corrected:

concerning this part of the text:
GWENDOLINE. (wrong: this should be Peggy)
No, that you're not, Dinah. Listen to me! Miss Dyott is going out of town to-day, and I'm left in charge. I'm a poor governess, but playing jailer over bleeding hearts is not in my articles, and if your husband comes to Volumnia House and demands his wife, he doesn't go away without you—does he, young ladies?

GWENDOLINE AND ERMYNTRUDE AND PEGGY.
No. (this should be only Gwen. and Ermyn.) We will do as we would be done by—won't we? (this should be only Peggy)

GWENDOLINE AND ERMYNTRUDE.
Yes! [The street-door bell is heard, the girls cling to each other.]
so for your recording this would mean:

> at 1:29-1:49: can all be cut out. Sooo sorry, but I noticed this is again wrongly assigned to Gwendoline. This should be spoken by Peggy Hesslerigge, because SHE is the poor governess who is in charge now. I also checked on the original scan in archive.org and this corroborates my assumption. (for reference, I will probably check this text more often now: https://archive.org/stream/schoolmistressa01pinegoog#page/n26/mode/2up

> at 1:55: also here: Gwendoline and Ermyntrude only say "No !" could you re-record that emphatic anwer to Peggy's last question, please ? Then the "We will do as we would be done by—won't we?" is again spoken by Peggy alone, but then you need to still insert another emphatic reply "Yes!"

Quite complicated, sorry. :?

I'm really getting annoyed with this Gutenberg text, so many errors. :evil: Need to get another note in the MW for Peggy Hesslerigge.

> at about 3:15: please insert missing sentence for The Three: "Hurrah! Hurrah!"

thanks, and sorry for the mess-up. If anything I said above was unclear, please ask.

Sonia
kierenmetts

Post by kierenmetts »

Hi Sonia,
That all makes sense now that I think about it.
It shouldn't be a problem to fix it all :))

If anything in acts 2 & 3 looks strange to me, I'll post a question about it before recording.
Thank you!
Kieren