[COMPLETE] The World's Desire-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Post Reply
Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » May 30th, 2017, 9:14 am

ReadReedRed wrote:Chapter 1 ready for review! Duration 17:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_01_haggard_128kb.mp3
Hi:
Very nicely read. Thank you.
I have a few items for your consideration:
00:00 The overall volume is about 85 db, which is below the Librivox required range of 86 to 92 db.
00:00 The intro silence is about 1.25 seconds; it should be no longer than 1 second
16:56 The outro silence is 7.6 seconds; it should be about 5 seconds (I shoot for 4.9 to 5.2 in my recordings).

I have two optional items for you to consider fixing if you want to:
14:03 I heard "tied" and expected "tried"
15:41 I heard something like "brawn" and expected "bronze"

Finally I am hearing some subtle plosives that I don't think need to be fixed, but in future recordings you might put a little more distance between your mouth and your mic (or put the mic slightly off axis) to eliminate them.

Again, a very nice reading. I look forward to listening to more sections.
Tom Penn

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » May 30th, 2017, 2:14 pm

pcushnie wrote:Here is Book 1 Chapter 4, 16:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_04_haggard_128kb.mp3
Section 4 is PL OK! :clap:
Very nicely read.
I noticed that the silence at the end is about 6 seconds, which is a bit long--it should be closer to 5 seconds. No need to change it but in future you might want to aim for more like 5 to 5.5 seconds.

Thank you!
Tom Penn

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » May 30th, 2017, 6:04 pm

DJRickyV wrote:Section 3 is ready for PL.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_03_haggard_128kb.mp3
(31:58)

I am available for the next open section as well. Section 5?
Section 03 is PL OK! :clap:
Well done. Thank you!
Tom Penn

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » May 31st, 2017, 6:37 pm

DJRickyV wrote:Section 5 ready for PL...

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_05_haggard_128kb.mp3

(18:24)
Section 5 is PL OK! :clap:
I heard some plosives in this recording. In future recordings it might help if you put a little more distance between your mouth and the mic or put the mic slightly off axis. Thank you!
Tom Penn

ironcladredhead
Posts: 20
Joined: May 17th, 2016, 10:23 pm

Post by ironcladredhead » June 9th, 2017, 5:33 am

Penumbra wrote:
ReadReedRed wrote:Chapter 1 ready for review! Duration 17:03

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_01_haggard_128kb.mp3
Hi:
Very nicely read. Thank you.
I have a few items for your consideration:
00:00 The overall volume is about 85 db, which is below the Librivox required range of 86 to 92 db.
00:00 The intro silence is about 1.25 seconds; it should be no longer than 1 second
16:56 The outro silence is 7.6 seconds; it should be about 5 seconds (I shoot for 4.9 to 5.2 in my recordings).

I have two optional items for you to consider fixing if you want to:
14:03 I heard "tied" and expected "tried"
15:41 I heard something like "brawn" and expected "bronze"

Finally I am hearing some subtle plosives that I don't think need to be fixed, but in future recordings you might put a little more distance between your mouth and your mic (or put the mic slightly off axis) to eliminate them.

Again, a very nice reading. I look forward to listening to more sections.
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_01_haggard_128kb.mp3
Section 1 is reuploaded and hopefully good to go this time. Sorry for the minor audio quality issues, I was having a heck of a time with my mic. New one's coming soon so that should solve future issues. Thanks!

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » June 9th, 2017, 7:16 am

ReadReedRed wrote: I was having a heck of a time with my mic.
I had about a month of grief when I changed computers and audacity versions at the same time and suddenly the sound quality went to pot. Fortunately I eventually figured out the problems, but it was pretty ugly for a while.

Section 1 is PL OK! :clap: Well done!
Tom Penn

pcushnie
Posts: 12
Joined: April 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Post by pcushnie » June 18th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Book 1 Chapter 2 is ready, 18:47.

My 1st 'character read'. I hope my Aphrodite isn't too over the top, maybe I should have left this one for ReadReedRed :?

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_02_haggard_128kb.mp3

annise
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 33559
Joined: April 3rd, 2008, 3:55 am
Location: Melbourne,Australia

Post by annise » June 18th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Thank you :D I've popped it in the MW for the DPL .
Just a suggestion - it's worth getting in the habit of posting them as section 02 , both as requests and when you post them. In many cases section 2 is chapter 2 , but it isn't always and we do get people reading the wrong one , so there are 2 of one and none of the other :(

Anne

miss stav
Posts: 15573
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Location: Israel

Post by miss stav » June 18th, 2017, 9:24 pm

Thank you both.
pcushnie, I hope you enjoy the chapters you already recorded. Would you like to record more?
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

pcushnie
Posts: 12
Joined: April 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Post by pcushnie » June 19th, 2017, 4:59 am

Please, call me Pete :)

I would, but I still have a lingering cough & am seeing a doctor today. I'm still not totally happy with my vocal recovery & hope it isn't too obvious in my recordings. I'm concerned I've developed vocal nodules, but let's see what the doc says.

That aside, I found two minor read errors that got by me in my last recording & would like a chance to correct them this afternoon after work. I'll update when I've re-uploaded.

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » June 19th, 2017, 8:42 am

I'll wait to PL until after you post your new version. I did listen to a few minutes of the recording and checked the technical specs, which were all good. One discrepancy I heard was

04:42 I heard "Athene, God of Wisdom" but expected "Athene, Queen of Wisdom".

The bit I listened to sounds fine :thumbs: and not at all "over the top". Hope your cough is minor, short-lived and easily discarded.
Tom Penn

pcushnie
Posts: 12
Joined: April 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Post by pcushnie » June 19th, 2017, 3:41 pm

D'oh! Can't believe I let that one get past me, too! That & the others are fixed, new time is 18:49.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_02_haggard_128kb.mp3

Penumbra
Posts: 1192
Joined: May 10th, 2016, 6:16 pm

Post by Penumbra » June 19th, 2017, 6:26 pm

pcushnie wrote:D'oh! Can't believe I let that one get past me, too! That & the others are fixed, new time is 18:49.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/worldsdesire_02_haggard_128kb.mp3
Section 02 is PL OK! :clap:
Well read, Peter. I hope you will consider reading more of this book.
Tom Penn

pcushnie
Posts: 12
Joined: April 22nd, 2017, 10:17 am

Post by pcushnie » June 19th, 2017, 6:45 pm

Sure, go ahead & put me down for section 7

miss stav
Posts: 15573
Joined: October 4th, 2007, 5:25 pm
Location: Israel

Post by miss stav » June 19th, 2017, 9:42 pm

THowwonderfu.. 7 is all yours.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.

Post Reply