[Complete] The Princess Zoubaroff by Ronald Firbank - dlo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Hi Chuck, welcome back.

As I cannot do much recording at present could I perhaps do the small role of Monsignor Vanhove.

How would want this pronounced, VAN-HOVE or something more like 'fun-ho-ve'?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

alanmapstone wrote:Hi Chuck, welcome back.

As I cannot do much recording at present could I perhaps do the small role of Monsignor Vanhove.

How would want this pronounced, VAN-HOVE or something more like 'fun-ho-ve'?
Hi Alan... and thanks! It's actually really nice to be back, although I'm trying to pace myself a little better than last time. Naturally, I would be more than happy to have you as part of this project, even at a limited capacity. Thank you so much. :-)

As for the pronunciation of this character's name, I'm by no means the authority on such matters, but my gut instinct tells me that it's probably the former of your suggestions. Of course, if someone reads this and thinks I'm totally full of it, please let me know. I will demure to your expertise.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

here's the first act for Princess Zoubaroff. Based on what and how she said it, I made her quite a mix of composed/regal and lascivious, depending on the situation. At one point I gave her quite a lesbian undertone in the conversation with Enid....I think that was what the author insinuated anyway. I hope it's how you imagined her, Chuck.

Anyway, is it just my dirty mind or is the play full of sexual innuendoes ? I had a hard time not to chuckle while saying "He visited me in England...with his dripping umbrella" Finally got it recorded with the needed smirk. :roll: :mrgreen:

For the record: I pronounced "Tozhy" like /tojee/ because the "zh" in phonetics usually sounds like that. Just mentioning it to Ava, in case she wants to say it the same way, as she is immediately using the name right after me. It might sound good if they say it the same way. :hmm:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_princess_1.mp3
Recording time: 13:06 min.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

btw I see you don't have a DPL yet, I can do it if you'd like to have me :) Of course you would have to PL my parts...

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:here's the first act for Princess Zoubaroff. Based on what and how she said it, I made her quite a mix of composed/regal and lascivious, depending on the situation. At one point I gave her quite a lesbian undertone in the conversation with Enid....I think that was what the author insinuated anyway. I hope it's how you imagined her, Chuck.

Anyway, is it just my dirty mind or is the play full of sexual innuendoes ? I had a hard time not to chuckle while saying "He visited me in England...with his dripping umbrella" Finally got it recorded with the needed smirk. :roll: :mrgreen:

For the record: I pronounced "Tozhy" like /tojee/ because the "zh" in phonetics usually sounds like that. Just mentioning it to Ava, in case she wants to say it the same way, as she is immediately using the name right after me. It might sound good if they say it the same way. :hmm:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_princess_1.mp3
Recording time: 13:06 min.

Sonia
Haha! Um, yeah... I probably should've posted a warning about that much earlier. This play is overstuffed with bawdy innuendo, some of it shocking even today. Trust me, I had to stifle in a couple of chuckles while reading this to myself; I can't imagine trying to perform some of these lines without cracking up.

Anyway, thank you so much for the file. I haven't had a chance to listen yet, since I'm visiting family right now. But I'll give it a quick PL when I get a chance. I can't wait to hear your interpretation of the character! :-)
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:btw I see you don't have a DPL yet, I can do it if you'd like to have me :) Of course you would have to PL my parts...

Sonia
Oh, are you sure? Thank you so much! :-) I really appreciate all the help you've given me with this project. :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Oh, are you sure? Thank you so much! :-) I really appreciate all the help you've given me with this project. :-)
of course I'm sure :) I love DPLing stage plays, so it's a pleasure for me.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:
ChuckW wrote:Oh, are you sure? Thank you so much! :-) I really appreciate all the help you've given me with this project. :-)
of course I'm sure :) I love DPLing stage plays, so it's a pleasure for me.

Sonia
Thanks Sonia! I'll be sure to return the favor, if I'm ever needed. :-)
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Zoubaroff Act I is PL OK -- and a really delightful reading. Thank you so much, Sonia! :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Zoubaroff Act I is PL OK -- and a really delightful reading. Thank you so much, Sonia! :-)
thank you for the go ahead...I will keep her in that character then. Working on Act 2 now...

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:
ChuckW wrote:Zoubaroff Act I is PL OK -- and a really delightful reading. Thank you so much, Sonia! :-)
thank you for the go ahead...I will keep her in that character then. Working on Act 2 now...

Sonia
Woohoo! Thank you so much! :-)
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Act 2 finished :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_princess_2.mp3
Recording time: 11:15 min.

now I need a break. Trying to finish the Princess tomorrow

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I saw the last Act was way shorter for my role, so I couldn't resist finishing the part :mrgreen: I'll update the MW since I see I have access already.

I tried to make a grand last exit with my final sentence, and hope I managed to be duely outraged.

Oh and I pronounced the girl Glida (like "gliding down"), not Gleeda (like "with glee"). I hope that was ok ? :hmm:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_princess_3.mp3
Recording time: 4:17 min.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote:I saw the last Act was way shorter for my role, so I couldn't resist finishing the part :mrgreen: I'll update the MW since I see I have access already.

I tried to make a grand last exit with my final sentence, and hope I managed to be duely outraged.

Oh and I pronounced the girl Glida (like "gliding down"), not Gleeda (like "with glee"). I hope that was ok ? :hmm:

https://librivox.org/uploads/dlolso21/princesszoubaroff_princess_3.mp3
Recording time: 4:17 min.

Sonia
Yaaaaay!

Both are PL OK and quite excellent. Thanks for volunteering for this role! This is probably the most difficult role in the play and I'm glad you were able to bring her to life. :-)

I'm on my phone right now, so I have limited access to the MW. I'll move everything when I have wifi again.
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote:Both are PL OK and quite excellent. Thanks for volunteering for this role! This is probably the most difficult role in the play and I'm glad you were able to bring her to life. :-)
wow thank you for the praise :oops: I'm happy to have been part of this with such an interesting role (although she is not at all me LOL, but that's why it's called acting I guess :mrgreen: )
I'm on my phone right now, so I have limited access to the MW. I'll move everything when I have wifi again.
no problem, I move them down for you

good night for now

Sonia