[COMP]Poems of American History 5, Period of Expansion-iq

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Sections 4 and 5 are yours, Philip, thank you. Folks do express an interest at times, then they look at it closer, or another project catches their eye, or whatever. The idea is it should be fun for everyone, so both doing and not doing are always no problem. Even when two people are hovering over one section while completing their one minute tests, the final disposition has to be based on who claimed first. Of course, I scarcely need to clarify this to a teacher of law. :lol:
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks, Ed. I have taught a little law, as well as American and Modern European History.

I did have one question....some of the poems have sections that are internally numbered. For instance Joaquin Miller's poem "Rejoice" has sections that contain Roman numerals.

The Thomas Bailey Aldrich poem that immediately follows has Roman numerals and also character names denoting whose voice/perspective is speaking. My sense is that in those poems, I should not read the roman numerals--but continue on through the text, but I should read the character names. I haven't located any guidance on that...(although I am still somewhat new to Librivox and there is a plethora of material here.)

Is my instinct correct?

Many thanks for the assignment. I look forward to being a part of this project.

Philip
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

My intuitions on this are the same as yours. I've heard people read the numbers but I don't, and I've never received a prooflistening note about it. I might give it a pause just a little longer than between unnumbered stanzas. The LV injunction to read the text, the whole text, and nothing but the text would suggest "read the number," but on this thread at least, its up to you.

I strongly concur with reading the names, because they contribute to the author's meaning. Thanks for your attention to detail!
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

Thanks for your suggestions and guidance. I'll start preparing the text.....
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Section 8 needs one edit.

At 7:21-:23, there is a small stumble that you missed, other wise everything is awesome as always! When do I get more St John of the Cross?
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Almost every poem in this collection begins with the title (usually as wordy as the 19th Century can allow) followed by the date, with the name of the author at the end of the piece. In this case, the editor did not provide the date, and the title is one word only, "Comrades." At 7:20 I finished the editor's remarks, and at 7:21 I say "Comrades" and begin the poem at 7:23. Ready to sob, that my pronunciation of comrades might have sounded like "Gamragbaz," I listened twice, and it sounded like "comrades." :)

Gosh, I've never been able to rebut a PL note until now. It's that Sally Yates energy that's in the air. :lol:

I have a couple St John sections, but was waiting until this was PL'ed, for fear of unseemly zeal, or of importuning my MC. :lol: :lol:

The 19th Century has me by the throat. When this long haul finally ends, I am so looking for a 1922 story to read, something that runs roughshod over the courtesies.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Ah-ha! OK, if it is supposed to be that way, then I get to say PL OK! Sweet! :D

(It never bothers anyone else to overload this MC! :lol: I was listening to your section and realized that I have not listened to you read St John in a while, and I started to miss it!)
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
harpinthecloset

Post by harpinthecloset »

Section 11 edited FINALLY! I'll try to get 12 edited soon, but this is a start.

34:01 https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poems_periodofexpansion_11_various_128kb.mp3
Jael
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Thank you Jael, I'll listen soon.
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Lovely reading Jael, thank you. Section 11 is PL OK!
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

It is impossible to say "temper imperturbable."

Somehow, though, I managed to finish my section. :D

sec. 10 (49:01): https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poems_periodofexpansion_10_various_128kb.mp3

I've had a lot of fun recording poems from this book. Thanks to Ed and all involved.
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

There are word combinations I can barely say that many authors prefer to repeat than let alone. I feel you!

I look forward to listening Chris, and have been very glad to have you in all the volumes.

Ed
edhumpal

Post by edhumpal »

Great reading Chris. A couple repeats is all: 32:41 and 44:24
pyledriver

Post by pyledriver »

edhumpal wrote:Great reading Chris. A couple repeats is all: 32:41 and 44:24
Oops. Corrected version (sec. 10, 48:52): https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poems_periodofexpansion_10_various_128kb.mp3
DrPGould

Post by DrPGould »

I concur with the comments above about wild and unruly phrases. Mercifully I only had to work my way through "sundawn outbloom" only once (but it took 8 tries to get there.)

Here is the link to Section 4. I enjoyed this part of the project and look forward to completing Section 5 shortly.

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/poems_periodofexpansion_04_various_128kb.mp3

Many thanks,

Philip