COMPLETE - Viajes de Gulliver - Jonathan Swift-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

and I managed to PL the final chapter so far 8-)

I was delighted to hear the king speak again, I love the stern voice you give him. It also made the lengthy discussion about politics a bit more interesting LOL Not much happening in this chapter. Well, Swift is making the satire of the British parliament ;)

I learnt some interesting linguistic fact: in the final sentence I thought I heard you say “faz” instead of “haz de la tierra”. I checked with wiktionary and both mean the same thing. :shock: I would also have thought “faz” would be the correct word, since it means “face”. So where did the “h” come from in the spelling ? Probably some old way of writing it. :hmm:

Two PL notes this time, easily corrected though:

> Checker gives me a warning, that the audio volume is a bit over the LV standard: 92.8 dB. Could you de-amplify at least a little bit ?

> at 21:20-21:33: repeat of sentence: “En otra audiencia […] con mis respuestas.” (p. 149 middle): needs to be cut out

And that's it for now. The backlog has been worked off :mrgreen:

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hey Sonia, you are so great and make the things so easy that i should hire you but to arrange not only the audios but my schedules! Ok, i made the corrections, i have not changed the word "parado en lal puerta" because as you find out is rather similar in that context to "quedado en la puerta", and about the meaning of "faz" or "haz" i think it´s a mispelling in the text, as the correct expresion is "faz de la Tierra" (surface of the Earth), and you say "haz" for bunch of thing (such logs, grass) or for a beam of light, and i checked the translation and in fact the appropiate word for "haz" would be bundle or beam. Ok i´ve uploaded 2 more episodes and we finished the first 2 parts whit them . Thanks a lot Sonia!!!!
One book to rule them all and in the Public Domain bind them
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Hey Sonia, you are so great and make the things so easy that i should hire you but to arrange not only the audios but my schedules!
haha, thanks, but this sounds like real work now :shock: do you have so many schedules in your life to keep track of ?
about the meaning of "faz" or "haz" i think it´s a mispelling in the text, as the correct expresion is "faz de la Tierra" (surface of the Earth), and you say "haz" for bunch of thing (such logs, grass) or for a beam of light, and i checked the translation and in fact the appropiate word for "haz" would be bundle or beam.
oh ok, yes that is a bit of a difference in meaning. As I said, "faz" makes more sense to me as well.
Ok i´ve uploaded 2 more episodes and we finished the first 2 parts whit them .
cool !!! I will try to PL them soon enough. For now I Spot PLed the two previous chapters and they are both PL ok now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

I just finished PLing Section 13, and YAY, it is PL ok on the first try :thumbs: no missed repeats this time and it's flawlessly read again, all through word perfect !

Now I need a bit of a break, but I try to finish the second chapter tomorrow.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 14 just checked and with that the second book is finished :clap: I enjoy this more and more as I notice that I start to undertstand more and more. (though still not all the fine nuances).

Only found one repeat which needs to be cut out:

> 15:04-15:13: "Tratóme con el mayor decoro [...] el mejor juicio." (p. 168)

The rest was perfectly read. I especially liked this voice from the other ship. How did you do that ? It sounds like spoken through a megaphone :hmm:

Is the next book the one with Laputa ? I can't remember the correct order of events. That's the one with the immortals I think. Those guys gave me the creeps when I read the chapter. :help:

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Hi Sonia, I cut out the repited part and uploaded two more chapters . ;)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ah two more chapters. I just managed to listen to one for now, and it's perfect, yet again. Now Laputa is indeed the floating island, I remember that one. I don't know much what happened there though LOL I hope I understand enough in the next chapters.

Section 14 is Spot PL ok.

Section 15 is PL ok.

I probably PL section 16 tomorrow :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Finished Section 16 and again: no errors at all :thumbs: Can mark it PL ok. The male Laputians are really not good husbands. :lol: No wonder the wives want to leave them.

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

You are right , unluckily the wives run atriaght to the arms of another males even worst than the Laputians. Well, I´ve uploaded two more chapters where Swift describes a country very similar to my own country. Argentina resembles so much to the Balnibarbas that I cannot say if Swift has not really inspired on us. Nothing new in this world!!! And Swift was really a genious.
Thanks for your nice work Sonia, you really makes my time in this recordings more meaningfull and cheer. Have a nice Easter!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:I´ve uploaded two more chapters where Swift describes a country very similar to my own country. Argentina resembles so much to the Balnibarbas that I cannot say if Swift has not really inspired on us. Nothing new in this world!!! And Swift was really a genious.
you know what this episode reminds me of ? Laputa throwing rocks from the sky on the rebels, could well be a simile for the warplanes we have nowadays, throwing bombs down. Back in Swift's days they didn't even think of airplanes or nuclear bombs, but Laputa "crushing" a village and totally raising it to the ground by falling on it reminds me of an atom bomb. Swift was surely a visionary, just like Jules Verne was in his way.

Section 17 is PL ok. :) Will get to 18 later in the day, need a bit of a break now.
Thanks for your nice work Sonia, you really makes my time in this recordings more meaningfull and cheer. Have a nice Easter!
thank you for reading so clearly pronounced and at a moderate pace. It helps me to get the feeling for Spanish and as you know, I love languages. If you were a "fast mumbler" I would not have accepted the DPL job ;)

Have a great Easter weekend as well :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Section 18 also PL ok. :) Not much happening in this part, more description of the land. So you're saying this reminded you of Argentina ? (I hope not their architecture :? )

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

:shock: I just saw by pure coincidence that there is another chapter ready for PL in the MW. How long has this been in there already ? Could you please write a message in the project thread, so that I get the notification next time ? Else I cannot know if one is ready, unless I check the MW every day. :(

This chapter was again quite amusing. Swift really makes big fun of those academics who spend their day and other people's money to endlessly discuss obscure matter without ever coming to practical conclusions. :mrgreen: I enjoyed the chapter. :thumbs:

I'll mark it PL ok because there were no errors. But in the beginning, you again start quite abruptly, could you leave at least half a second of silence, please ? Maybe not important for this one, so it's up to you if you want to re-upload, but maybe be careful next time. :)

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Sonia!! Sorry for my long silence, yes i read your post and you are right i didnt even post during the last weeks, but i had a terribly flu and i have felt under zero for a week. Yet i have nor recover my voice so i cant record, I´ll upload some chapters i had previously recorded and once I´m fully recovered I´ll try to speed up the recordings to finish this project as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience and all your dedication!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

phileasfogg wrote:Sonia!! Sorry for my long silence, yes i read your post and you are right i didnt even post during the last weeks, but i had a terribly flu and i have felt under zero for a week. Yet i have nor recover my voice so i cant record, I´ll upload some chapters i had previously recorded and once I´m fully recovered I´ll try to speed up the recordings to finish this project as soon as we can. Thanks for your patience and all your dedication!
I'm sorry to hear you are ill. :( Don't worry about the project, I'll be patient. Take care of yourself first. And I also don't need you to "speed up the recordings". I prefer to have one bit at a time. :) not as much stress for myself either.

Whenever you feel better, I'll be waiting.

Sonia
phileasfogg

Post by phileasfogg »

Ok, here we go again ! :clap:
Happy worker´s day
I have uploaded two more chapters