COMPLETE Geographic Reader : Australia and the Islands - mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2016, 7:21 am

Carpenter's geographical reader: Australia and the Islands by Frank Carpenter (1855 - 1924).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here: https://librivox.org/carpenters-geographical-reader-australia-by-frank-g-carpenter/

The purpose of this book is to give the children who read it a living knowledge of Australia and the chief islands of the world, and especially those which have become colonies or dependencies of the United States. In a personally conducted tour through the eyes of teh author they travel over [these islands], seeing our brown-skinned cousins of the several colonies as they are at home. They learn about the resources of the various islands, and of their value to the United States. They visit the people on the farms and in the factories. They spend some time in the cities and villages, and they explore the wilds, observing the wonders of plant and animal creation. (from the Preface)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/australiaourcolo00carp
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Please let me know if the MW doesn't match the title of your chapter. We've already spotted differences between the text and the table of contents I used to fill in the MW.

Magic Window:

BC Admin ============================================

Genres for the project: Children's Non-fiction/Reference; *Non-fiction/Travel & Geography

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Carpenter's geographical reader: Australia. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Carpenter's geographical reader: Australia, by Frank Carpenter. Chapter [number, title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Carpenter's geographical reader: Australia, by Frank Carpenter. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    geographicalreaderau_##_carpenter_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. geographicalreaderau_01_carpenter_128kb.mp3)
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
  9. Any questions?
    Please post below

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 21st, 2016, 8:07 am

I'd like to do 15 for a start. Knowing German might come handy here ;-)
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2016, 9:50 am

Thanks for starting us off Ava!
MaryAnn

BettyB

Post by BettyB » December 21st, 2016, 1:31 pm

thanks so much for setting this up. I'd like to claim 1-10.

Betty

BettyB

Post by BettyB » December 21st, 2016, 1:41 pm

Mary Ann: I just noticed in the text that comes up from the link chapter 15 that Ava took has a totally different title. nothing at all about Germany.

Betty

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2016, 3:48 pm

Thanks for claiming Betty, and for letting me know about the title of Chapter 15.

Ava - We were misled by the table of contents. Let me know if you want to drop the section . . . I will reserve all of JAPAN for you when we get to Asia. :wink:

MaryAnn

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle » December 21st, 2016, 4:20 pm

Well, I just wanted to help with the German names I suspected in that chapter... Oh well, can I switch it out for Singapore then (36) if you don't mind?
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox. "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 21st, 2016, 4:33 pm

No problem, switch made.
MaryAnn

barbara2

Post by barbara2 » December 22nd, 2016, 4:12 am

Availle wrote:Well, I just wanted to help with the German names I suspected in that chapter... Oh well, can I switch it out for Singapore then (36) if you don't mind?
Ava, I spent time in the Eastern part of New Guinea as schoolgirl in 1959-1960 and there were still German-speaking missionaries there - I remember some in Rabaul and even a nice Mother Superior in (I'm pretty certain) the Port Moresby area who stands out in my memory for thinking it was quite proper to offer a schoolgirl a beer on a hot day (can't remember if a German beer). It was certainly OK by me.

Best,

Barbara

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 22nd, 2016, 7:06 am

Betty,
Chapters 1 and 2 are PL OK.
MaryAnn

HeartsandStars

Post by HeartsandStars » December 25th, 2016, 10:52 pm

I'll take Chapters 46, 47, and 48.

Thanks!
Andrea

MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel » December 26th, 2016, 7:26 am

Thanks Betty - MW updated. Not sure how quick I will be in PLing, I'll be in a state of flux until after New Years . . .

Welcome to the project Andrea! Glad you found us.

MaryAnn