COMPLETE A Book of Fairy Tales by Sabine Baring-Gould -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you travis. Best wait for feedback from jordan just in case something else needs tweaking, then you can do all at once :) thanks!
Carolin
shellkane

Post by shellkane »

Hi there! In an attempt to view the text for Little Red Riding Hood (page 51) I found that the text jumps from page 50 to 65. I tried viewing PDF and Full Text. Same thing for both. Is it just me? :shock:
Thank you - have a great day!
-Michelle
robinlamb

Post by robinlamb »

Yes, part of the book seems to be missing. I found another link to the book with the missing piece: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015088619781;
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

travisbaldree wrote:First time reader - I'd like to volunteer for #2 - Jack and the Beanstalk.

Using my full name, Travis Baldree

I've done a recording for review, and uploaded here -

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/fairytales_02_baringgould_128kb.mp3

length:
22:16

Please let me know if the recording is OK, or if there is anything I should change. I've tried to follow all the instructions explicitly, and hopefully I haven't mucked it up! :)

Travis
Hi Travis!

Firstly, I loved the voices! Also, 'Ha! Ha! I smell fresh meat.' doesn't quite have the same effect as 'Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!'

Right, on to the PL notes. As well as the missing Notes section you've already mentioned, here are a couple of other things:

1:45: 'out the elbows' should be 'out of elbows'
5:33 (not required): 'hands to the stalks' should be 'hands to the tangle of stalks'
16:08: 'bags that I took out of the castle down on the earth.' is missing after 'money'

Also, you're currently at 85.0 dB, which is a bit too low (86-92 is the aim). However, due to some loud sections (mostly the Giant), just amplifying would end up clipping the recording. What I would do is use Leveller, which only boosts the quieter parts.

If you don't have Checker installed, you might want to, as you can then check your volume yourself. Alternatively, the Audacity plug-in ReplayGain can do the same thing, without having to export the file.
Jordan

Alcohol and Maths don't mix. So never drink and derive.
travisbaldree

Post by travisbaldree »

JorWat wrote:Also, 'Ha! Ha! I smell fresh meat.' doesn't quite have the same effect as 'Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!'
Don't I know it! I was a little disappointed :)

I was reading from the text extraction, and some of the text was garbled, and I guess I didn't do thorough enough investigative work, as the three corrections are all in garbledy areas. I'll get them sorted as soon as there are no garbage trucks grinding away outside my window, and upload the updated version (which already includes the notes)

I'll do a bit of remastering to get the dB up higher without clipping. No problem!

Thanks for the PL, Jordan :)
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

costlyblood wrote:Sophie Owen here, I've finished recording section 14, 'Don't Know'. Here's the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/fairytales_14_baringgould_128kb.mp3
Hi Sophie!

So, you did a very good job of reading. The voices were good, and I didn't hear any stumbles, nor editing glitches.

Now it seems there are a couple of things to note:

0:00: Silence should be no more than 1 second. You're at about 1.2 seconds.
16:25: 'as far as' should be 'as fast as'
16:53 (not required): 'least of all to Paddy' isn't part of the quote, so shouldn't be sung (though I might be misinterpreting it...) [EDIT: The more I think about this, the more sense it makes for it to be part of the song, so unless you think it should be changed, I'd leave it as is]
23:05: As this is not the last section, you don't need 'End of A Book of Fairy Tales, by Sabine Baring-Gould.'

(Man, that was a weird story... And why did every sentence start 'Now', 'So', or 'But'? I actually started laughing whenever a sentence started 'Now', it was so often)

EDIT:
costlyblood wrote:I've just read it and it's one of the most hilariously ridiculous fairy stories I've ever seen.
Yeah, I see what you mean...
Last edited by JorWat on December 7th, 2016, 4:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Jordan

JorWat

Post by JorWat »

travisbaldree wrote:
JorWat wrote:Also, 'Ha! Ha! I smell fresh meat.' doesn't quite have the same effect as 'Fee-fi-fo-fum, I smell the blood of an Englishman!'
Don't I know it! I was a little disappointed :)
I just had a look elsewhere, and it seems it is in one of the other stories, 'Jack the Giant Killer' (see page 191).
Jordan

travisbaldree

Post by travisbaldree »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/fairytales_02_baringgould_128kb.mp3

My updated file, with the listed corrections, added notes, and a remaster for bringing up the average volume while compressing some of the peaks, is uploaded.

The new duration after the notes extensions is - 23:05

Thank you! :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you robin and Michelle, i have added a note to the first post about the text.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

And thank you jordan and travis!
Carolin
JorWat

Post by JorWat »

travisbaldree wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/fairytales_02_baringgould_128kb.mp3

My updated file, with the listed corrections, added notes, and a remaster for bringing up the average volume while compressing some of the peaks, is uploaded.

The new duration after the notes extensions is - 23:05

Thank you! :)
PL OK!

You even corrected the 'Section number 2' at the start, which I didn't even point out.
Jordan

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you jordan!
Carolin
GraceNote

Post by GraceNote »

Hi! This will be my first reading for Librivox, and I'd like to take Cinderella, and The White Cat (I think those were #2 and #21?), if they're still available.

Thanks!

Terah
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hi terah, welcome to Librivox!

You are welcome to read those stories. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

Please also complete the test recording before getting started here!
Carolin