COMPLETE The Minister's Wooing by Harriet Beecher Stowe -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 8th, 2016, 2:34 am

The Minister's Wooing by Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811 - 1896).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project http://librivox.org/the-ministers-wooing-by-harriet-beecher-stowe/
Harriet Beecher Stowe is today best known for her classic novel Uncle Tom's Cabin. However, that book was certainly not her only remarkable anti-slavery work. In The Minister's Wooing, Stowe takes the reader into 18th century New England, and uses that setting to explore themes of slavery and religion, as the background to a domestic story. Mary, the heroine of this story, is a woman between several candidates for matrimony, after the man she truly loved is lost at sea, and finally decides to marry a minister whom she does not love. Will there be a happy end? ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47958
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

WARNING: The Section number in the Magic Window is not the same as the Chapter number, because several of the chapters are split into two parts. When claiming, please be clear which section you claim, and please be extra careful to make sure the section number in the file name is right! Ask if you are unsure. Thank you!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number] of The Minister's Wooing. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Minister's Wooing, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. [Chapter # (if applicable, part #), (if applicable, chapter title)]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [#]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Minister's Wooing, by Harriet Beecher Stowe. "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      ministerswooing_##_stowe_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. ministerswooing_01_stowe_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 8th, 2016, 3:34 am

Divided Chapters:

Chapter IV

part 1
please read until
won’t it, Miss Jones?’—and Mrs Twitchel looked pleasantly facetious, as elderly ladies generally do, when suggesting such possibilities to younger ones.

part 2

please start at
Mary was vexed to feel the blood boil up in her cheeks in a most unexpected and provoking way at the suggestion; whereat Mrs. Twitchel nodded knowingly at Mrs. Jones

Chapter XII

part 1
please read until
Oh, if you only could know!’—and ending with a general sigh and lamentation, like the confidential chorus of a Greek tragedy.

part 2
please start at
We have been thus minute in sketching Miss Prissy’s portrait, because we rather like her. She has great power, we admit;

Chapter XVI

part 1
please read until
I got the Doctor’s study-gown off, and got his best coat on, and put on his wig for him, and started him up kinder lively,—you know it takes me to get him down into this world,—and so there he’s in talking with him; and so you can just slip down and dress yourselves,—easy as not.’

part 2
please start at
Meanwhile Colonel Burr was entertaining the simple-minded Doctor with all the grace of a young neophyte come to sit at the feet of superior truth. There are some people who receive from Nature as a gift a sort of graceful facility of sympathy by which they incline to take on,

Chapter XXIV

part 1
please read until
But when every leaf is dropped, and the plant stands stripped to the uttermost, a new life is even then working in the buds, from which shall spring a tender foliage and a brighter wealth of flowers. So, often in celestial gardening, every leaf of earthly joy must drop, before a new and divine bloom visits the soul.

part 2
please start at
Gradually, as months passed away, the floods grew still; the mighty rushes of the inner tide ceased to dash. There came first a delicious calmness, and then a celestial inner clearness, in which the soul seemed to lie quiet as an untroubled ocean, reflecting heaven.

Chapter XXV

part 1

please read until
Mary’s eyes questioned her companion with an expression of eager sympathy, somewhat blended with curiosity.

part 2
please start at
‘I can’t make you understand me quite,’ said Madame de Frontignac, ‘unless I go back a good many years. You see, dear Mary, my dear angel mamma died when I was very little, and I was sent to be educated at the Sacré Cœur, in Paris.
Carolin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 8th, 2016, 3:52 am

this should be fun to read. i hope we have enough harriet beecher stowe fans around to make this a quick project :)

all readers and a dpl are most welcome!
Carolin

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 10th, 2016, 1:32 am

lets move out to readers wanted :)
Carolin

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » November 10th, 2016, 6:44 am

Hi Carolin, I will get things started by claiming the introduction and Chapter 1. :)
Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 11th, 2016, 1:53 am

great, thank you so much!
Carolin

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 » November 18th, 2016, 7:12 am

May I have 2 and 3? Jim

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 19th, 2016, 12:54 am

Thank you jim!
Carolin

knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo » November 19th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Jo
My Librivox Solos
Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill. - Barbara Tuchman

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 20th, 2016, 3:22 am

Thank you :thumbs:
Carolin

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 » November 20th, 2016, 12:08 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/ministerswooing_02_stowe_128kb.mp3 23.00 KB 24:10
Jim (good stuff)

HERE IS THE CORRECT FILE.
Last edited by neecheelok70 on November 22nd, 2016, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 21st, 2016, 1:13 am

Thank you jim!
Carolin

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 » November 21st, 2016, 6:57 pm

You are very welcome. Here's another:
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/ministerswooing_03_stowe_128kb.mp3 16.27 KB 17:21

May I? 4567
Jim

Carolin
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Carolin » November 22nd, 2016, 12:31 am

thank you jim!

please excuse my inattention earlier, but i just saw that you submitted a chapter for florence nightingale for chapter 2. i must have been still asleep when entering that. could you please upload the right chapter again? :)
Carolin

neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 » November 22nd, 2016, 7:00 am

I was the one--obviously--who was asleep. Sorry--too many brands in the fire.